People are buying lots of precious metals. Provident sales data?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by myownprivy, Jul 9, 2018.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

Coincidentally, I noticed I placed two orders exactly 1 year apart on Provident Metals. By viewing the order numbers, I can see that there have been over 420,000 orders over those 12 months based on the order numbers being about 420,000 apart. That means Provident takes about 1,150 orders per day, and that is for one of the small-big bullion deals. I am sure JMbullion is way bigger than that and Apmex is way bigger than that.

Hope you found that interesting. I wouldn't have thought Provident took that many orders in a year.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That's assuming each order is assigned a sequential number. It's possible that they do that, but it's common not to, if only for security.

If you do sequential numbering, it makes it easier to guess other order numbers. It also reveals information about your business that you might prefer to keep private.

4. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I believe they do, because I have previous orders placed 2 days apart that are about 2,500 numbers apart.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I know the US Mint does the same thing. I still think it's a bad idea, but apparently not everyone agrees. If you've got multiple data points, you're probably right.

6. Don P

Don P Active Member

Even if they did sell that much, silver sold as a coin is still a VERY small portion of all silver sold on the planet.

Draft saved Draft deleted