PCI, Resurrected?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ksparrow, May 24, 2022.

1. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

4. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

To me it looks like it says "MS63" That's just my opinion...

5. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

MS63

Kentucky likes this.
  6. COOPER12

COOPER12 Well-Known Member

I saw this one . I was having A Hard time telling which of the many contact marks where on the coin or the holder.
    If they are on the coin I am not so sure it would straight grade.

7. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Surface looks off to me. Not original. Why not in a top tpg slab. And agreed 63 at best

8. Mr.MonkeySwag96

Mr.MonkeySwag96 Well-Known Member

From what I’ve heard, the old PCI is much more conservative than the new PCI. The new PCI is basically a basement grading service

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I worked at the old PCI from 1990 to 1998 with a short break in between. We we strict graders. PCI introduced "Detail" grades. It was based on the Technical Grading System used at INSAB in DC - the second third-party authentication service and first TP grading service. Grade the coin state the problem.

10. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

The OP coin looks like a problem coin to me or at the very best AU something.

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

The coin looks to me to have MS details...but I'm seeing a lot of hairlines on the surface that are all criss-crossed which makes me think the coin's surface has had some work. My guess a cloth was used to wipe the coin creating the hairlines.

COOPER12 likes this.
  12. Insider

Lots of those sch's are on the case. I would never buy a coin in a slab that you cannot see the grade on the label. BTW, the reverse is a Type 2M and not a Type 2. If the owner says it has a green label, it's MS.

13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Grades only covered because the picture is photoshoped. eBay makes you hide the grade for other TPGs

14. CamaroDMD

The colors of the coin almost looked juiced to me too...I wonder how much photo editing has occurred.

Did PCI color code labels based on grade?

15. Insider

Coins in old PCI slabs tone quickly. There were three main colors used with Banknote labels:

Green - Normal
    Red - Details
    Blue - Foreign

Check the PCI coin closely if there is any other label besides these and the "Signature" label. When the company was sold, the quality went into the basement.

16. CamaroDMD

That makes sense. Thanks.

17. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

MS63 on the label, but my gut tells me to run away from that coin. I don't trust myself to know enough about Trade dollars, other than to buy them already authenticated by a reputable TPG, but first glance makes me think of a "tooled" coin. Just my impression.

18. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Thanks for clarifying the grade obviously 63. I recall that DLRC bought the PCI equipment and started Dominion Grading Service (DGS) which was short lived but I really liked as they would give a technical grade and list problems. They shut down around the time of the 2008 crash iirc and sold the equipment to someone else, which makes me wonder if this dates to sometime later. From the photos hard to tell if MS even, and looks very marked up.

19. UpGrayedd

UpGrayedd Member

According to oldslabholders.com, the coin/slab in question is a PCI generation 11.0 (produced by the 8th or 9th owner of PCI) and slabbed in 2021 or later. It is most likely grossly over-graded and possibly a problem coin.

Tamaracian and ksparrow like this.
  20. UpGrayedd

UpGrayedd Member

To answer the OP's question, I should have also added that oldslabholders.com believes that PCI is now owned by Centsles, which should give anyone familiar with Centsles an idea of the quality.

ksparrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted