PCGS Civil War Tokens - 12/14 Ain't Bad!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jester3681, Dec 7, 2016.

1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I sent in a rather large CWT order to PCGS to get certified and TrueViewed in October and the grades just hit (I expect the images to hit later tonight). I was pleasantly surprised: of the 14, 12 got straight grades, 1 had Code 86 (Questionable Authenticity), and 1 was returned without grade (they must not certify the Augustus B. Sage Historical Series).

The Code 86 was purchased from Heritage and was from a large collection, so the authenticity is not in question in my mind. It was a white metal of some kind, and I think they just are unable to determine which - sounds like a job for NGC.

Of the 12 that got graded, 10 were above my estimated grade, many by significant amounts. I had a number of XF-AU tokens slide to MS, and one that I pegged at G slide to VF. Pics and grades when they hit the site!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Congrats Jester!
    As for the 86 PCGS has a list of reference books that they will grade. If not in those books they won't so that may be the case.

Are you going to share the true views?

4. jester3681

TrueViews hit the books overnight (except one, still waiting). Here you are!

82172509_Large.jpg
    UI-P-B Sutler Token, Possibly Tennessee's 6th VI. 2nd Edition Plate, Ex: Rick Irons. MS61. I had this one at XF+.

82172510_Large.jpg
    NY-630BZ-1b Peter Warmkessel. Ex: Steve Hayden. MS63 with tone. I had this one at AU+.

82172511_Large.jpg
    NY-630AK-1a Hussey's Special Message. MS64BN with tone. I had this one at UNC.

82172512_Large.jpg
    OH-200A-3a John Grether. Upgraded a details example earlier this year. Ex: Steve Hayden. XF45BN. I had this one at VF/XF.

82172513_Large.jpg
    Fuld 216/293a. Ex: Wayne Stafford; Dale Cade; Rick Irons. AU58BN. I had this one at AU.

82172514_Large.jpg
    Fuld 95/368a. (I have this as obverse 96). Ex: Wayne Stafford; Rick Irons. MS62BN. I had this one at AU.

5. jester3681

82172515_Large.jpg
    Fuld 59/385b. Ex: Wayne Stafford; Dale Cade; Rick Irons. XF45. I had this one at VF.

82172516_Large.jpg
    Fuld 295/432a. MS63BN. I had this one at AU+.

82172517_Large.jpg
    OH-725A-2a. George Beach - from my home town, Perrysburg, Ohio. AU53BN. I had this one at XF.
    82172518_Large.jpg
    Fuld 92/199b. Planchet roller damage as struck on obverse. MS63. I had this one at XF+.

82172519_Large.jpg
    Fuld 209/414a. "SPOOT" Error. AU55BN. I had this one at XF.

6. jester3681

82172521_Large.jpg
    Here's the last one. OH-165DB-1a. I actually had this one imaged to sell and was writing the eBay description... between the double cud, obverse die crack, and the clip, I decided to keep it - just too much going on. I had it pegged at G-F, came back as VF30BN!

7. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

That's a very cool group of tokens! Nice grades too.

jester3681 likes this.
  8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Those are great. Love the toning on the Hussey's and the reverse of the Warmkessel. And the error on the "SPOOT" pieces always makes me chuckle.

I thought about submitting my Monitor token from my Box of 20 to PCGS, for the sake of getting a TrueView, but didn't. (It's in an NGC MS65 BN holder now, and I'm a little nervous about whether or not it would drop a point or two in grade, so I guess it'll stay in the NGC plastic and I'll live with the photos I have of it.)

I gather PCGS has not been grading CWTs for very long?

9. Chas Carlson

Chas Carlson Active Member

That Hussey's Special Message token is gorgeous! Beautiful tokens!

jester3681 likes this.
  10. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Why PCGS? You could send them to NGC, where they know what they're doing, and get them professionally photographed by any of several different people on this very board for roughly the same cost.

11. jester3681

Not long at all. They have been fairly liberal with grades on my tokens, in my opinion.

12. jester3681

All my other stuff is in PCGS plastic and I have Asperger's fueled OCD. I have about 25 in NGC plastic now and it drives me batty.

Paul M. likes this.
  13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I have similar OCD; maybe not Asperger's-related but stupid-white-NGC-prongs-interfering-with-photography-related.

The only reason mine remains in NGC plastic is because it is thankfully in an older pre-prong insert.

jester3681 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted