PCGS and NGC is there grading similar ?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mpcusa, Sep 8, 2022.

1. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Ergo, the correct answer, as posted earlier, buy either TPG piece, with a CAC endorsement.
    YW.

imrich likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

a burning question fo me is why do NGC slabbed coins seem to sell for less, this is not every time, but I have seen that trend more then a few times....

4. charley

You know the answer. Otherwise, you would not be asking. It is what you do. You knew the answer and replies that would be generated by your post, before you posted.

hotwheelsearl likes this.
  5. mpcusa

Have allot of graded currency as well and noticed differences between the old PCGS
    ( Collectors Universe ) and PMG , PCGS use to be the big kid on the block until the
    owner ran it in to the ground, submissions were taking 6 - 8 months to get back
    now that there no longer with us, the only game in town when it comes to currency
    is PMG and there is even a question on that.

As posted earlier would it pay to buy a coin in a NGC holder with no PCGS equivalent
    crack it and send it in to PCGS ? your opinion would be appreciated.

6. charley

You keep changing the thrust of your question(s). Show or identify the piece that does not have an "equivalent". Is it a foreign coin that is not TPG or 4PG evaluated? You already identified it as a $20.00 Liberty, so that is not the reason.

How is it logical to compare the experience of currency grading...regardless of when and/or who ran what into the ground, with TPG Coin evaluation?

There is no logical answer to your question. Big Boy Pants: find out by buying this mysterious coin yourself, crack it out, submitting this mysterious coin to PCGS. Maybe before cracking it out, send to CAC. Let members know what happens, and then crack it out and send to PCGS and see what happens and let members know, then send it to CAC and let members know what happens.

You know all this. Yet you would ask the members to give opinions without any logical basis for doing so.

Ok, I will give you an answer. Yes, it will pay to do so. The question is, for who, you or the TPG or the 4PG.

LOL.

masterswimmer and hotwheelsearl like this.
  7. mpcusa

That what this forum is all about, trying to obtain knowledge, there obviously
    more people here that are more familiar with the differences between PCGS and
    NGC then I am, so why not ask there opinion ?

8. charley

If you are happy, I am happy. I know you enjoy keeping your threads alive, and nothing wrong with that.

But, if you want an opinion, then why not identify the mysterious one of a kind no equal coin? Yes, a $20.00 Liberty. And?

LOL.

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think you mean either

"Their", not "there"

or

They're not there

;)

charley likes this.
  10. charley

There are sure a lot of problems, there.....

11. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I sort of wish we could find at least one series which the two grade comparably, just so I could point to it and say "They're similar in their grading there." Then we'd have a convenient example for everyone to refer to.

BuffaloHunter, micbraun and charley like this.
  12. charley

There is....using CAC comparison. Their comparisons have been evaluated to their own standards without regard to the standards of the TPG being evaluated, and they're unbiased in their TPG source comparisons. So there.

13. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Easier to ask the crowd than to do personal research.

masterswimmer and charley like this.
  14. charley

Yep, because that always works out better, with astounding results.

15. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Always astounding how someone who probably has millions in gold needs crowdsourcing for rather amateur questions.

masterswimmer and charley like this.
  16. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

No, THEIR grading isn't necessarily the SAME.

I can show you multiple examples of coins having the same design/date/type/etc./grade that aren't technically the same.

JMHO

17. mpcusa

Show me, its nice to get a reasonable response to my question...LOL

18. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Riddle me this...

If PCGS is four letters fine ( like .9999 fine)
    NGC three letters fine. ( like .999 fine)

What is ANACS

19. charley

GOOD LORD...
    I think you might not understand the meaning of "reasonable response".

Show me yours and I will show you mine.
    LOL

20. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

PCGS is #1 for U.S. coins, but NGC is way ahead of PCGS in foreign and ancient coin markets. NGC does a great job with ancient Roman coins in my opinion. I prefer my ancient coins raw, but NGC does a good job.

21. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

I said I can, not that I'd waste my time when you know that virtually all responses to your query were responsible, and especially that of GDJMSP

Draft saved Draft deleted