pawn stars buy 3000+ oz of silver

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by trdtaco, Jun 5, 2012.

1. tgauchsin

tgauchsin New Member

It wouldn't surprise me. I started to suspect this when they had the Hatfield rifle on Pawn Stars to promote the new Hatfield-McCoy mini-series.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I put it right in there with wrestling, what ever that implies. :>)

4. treehugger

treehugger Well-Known Member

5. DM1

DM1 Active Member

There was that Cajun Pawn Stars where a guy brought in 2 pairs of $5,000 and $10,000 notes. I liked that one.

6. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

If you don't think that the Pawn show is scripted then I don't know what reality you're living in.
    Sure they advertise for odd items, but the ones that get on the air (cable) are set up before hand.

7. fatima

fatima Junior Member

After all that information leaked out about the scripting on Gold Rush and Sons of Guns (guy even had his firearms license taken away) I suspect the same was true about Pawn Stars. It became more obvious in later ep isodes that things were being brought into the store just so the person could get on TV.

But aside from that, I did enjoy watching the show just for the education about the items shown to be pawned. Some of the discussions were pretty interesting. However I haven't watched this show in a while because I got tired of cable TV and "cut the cord" last year. If it shows up on Netflix, I might catch up on a few episodes.

8. mcrow24

mcrow24 New Member

I guess if you're a big fan of the show and like silver, this isn't that bad of a buy so long as you are not buying it as an investment.

As for the show, of course it's not 100% like a real pawnshop setting. There's just no way you could value and buy all of the things they do on the show live. Some advanced knowledge of what's being brought in would be required. If they didn't advertise to contact them in advance for valuable items they'd have to film thousands of hours just to make a few episodes. So, I don't think it's a real intent to decieve people because these sorts of things do get brought into pawn shops a lot but for filming logistics it's required.

Granted, because they are on TV and perhaps the most famous pawn shop in the world they do get a lot more of the weird stuff but I don't see the show as being a fraud. Does it work like most other pawn shops? No. How can it if it is on TV?

9. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

??so whats there ebay sellar id

10. rlspears10

rlspears10 Member

I prefer Hardcore Pawn as well. It is a closer example of some of the real situations that can and do happen (to some extent.)
    However, most of the arguing is scripted. Ashley doesn't actually work there anymore, she is there for filming. Ashley and Seth actually get along quite well and are both very nice people and fun to be around.

11. mcrow24

mcrow24 New Member

Right here.

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

I didn't hear about this. Could you please post a link to some info. Thank you.

13. mcrow24

mcrow24 New Member

From what I understand Gold Rush isn't really scripted. People often confuse creative editing with scriptiing, that's the problem. They often leave out important info and sometimes misrepresent situations by the way they edit (soemtimes on purpose) but the people on the show are not working from a script.

Not sure about the SoG, but I think I remember reading that the episode where they found the tooth in a gun was totally made up. Not only that it is pretty clear all of the dialogue is scripted or at least highly practiced.

14. Pacecar

Pacecar Well-Known Member

According to my tracking number, my 2 rounds are "out for delivery". Woohoo.:) I will enjoy these overpriced rounds just like I will enjoy the 2 more overpriced San Fran silver Eagles when I get them.;)

Draft saved Draft deleted