Palladium Bullion coins?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by bullionboy, Nov 4, 2004.

1. bullionboy

bullionboy New Member

I'm just curious if anyone thinks Palladium Eagles could be minted some day? It's more rare than gold. Do any other mints ie.. Canada, Australia ect, plan on striking palladium coins? It's an interesting precious metal.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

Palladium comes from the platinum group of metals and it is noble. Like gold and platinum, a nobel metal will not tarnish or oxidize. Palladium is used primarily in the auto industry, circuit boards, and dentistry. Japan is the number one buyer of palladium for their auto industry.

The trouble with palladium is that 70% of it is found in Russia. It wasn't too long ago (January of 2001) that palladium surpassed $1,100 per ounce. This was because the Russians hoarded the metal and were literally driving palladium customers crazy as they stated they would ship and then they would not. Today, palladium is hovering in the low $200 range.

As for coins, I have seen coins from the country of Tonga (who came out with coins in 1967) and most recently from China. Palladium has the same color as platinum and can be easily confused with the latter.

I have seen palladium as low as $77 per ounce (early 90's) to the ultilmate high in 2001.

Good luck!

4. bullionboy

bullionboy New Member

Thanks for the info.

How come more mints are making coins out of this material? Is this becasue of rarity? If so why is it priced below gold per ounce?

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I think you answered your own question. They use the metal precisley because it is cheaper.

6. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

I've had a few palladium coins over the years. The russian "ballerina" series is very nice, and I've also had some englehard pall. bars that I thought I'd never sell lol.
    Nick

7. bullionboy

bullionboy New Member

A palladium eagle sounds good to me

8. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

9. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted