opinions on selling gold bullion now

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by silver surfer, Sep 19, 2005.

1. silver surfer

silver surfer Senior Member

In your case, I would not "blow" it on car repairs - do that with current income. You've had that money for 5 years - would be too bad to lose it on a repair that will amount to nothing once the car is gone for good.

Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]I agree

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

I just buy gold in the form of foreign gold coins. they are pretty to look at.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

this is somewhat off-topic, but i agree. I use my vehicles untill the repair costs go to high ( two $500 repairs in one year tip me off )

I then buy a new vehicle for the wife and kids and drive the old one untill it falls apart. keep it together with bailing wire and duct tape.

sounds odd but i end up saving lots of money. when the vehicle gives up the ghost i donate it.

right now my sweet ride is a 1997 dodge 1500 with 170,000+ miles on it. I actually "retired" it from mission critical use not long ago because it was not fit for driving a baby around ( no air conditioning, and i am in texas )

the thing has been pulling twice what it should for years and has had NO major problems! its a miracle! must have gotten one of the best ones off the line. if it hits 200k i am going to send a picture of it in to dodge ;)

replaced it with a dodge 2500 turbo diesel i get to drive on the weekends ;)

its also fun having a huge truck and an excuse for driving it, we haul cattle with it. last i checked they don't make a hybrid that can haul 16,000+ pounds.

sorry for the off-topic...

rte likes this.
  5. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I think it illustartes the point,though. You could have sold your coin collection ten times oevr to keep it in mint condition, but you did not, you made other plans, and you still have a car AND your coins.

6. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

If you do not need the money I would say keep the gold. I always thought that gold should be kept in case of a financial collaspe of our economy and if that never happens more the better.

7. BigsWick

BigsWick Rat Powered

I bought a few Double Eagles when they could be readily had for as little as $450 certified in VF-EF and $525 or so in MS. I've watched the asking prices of these coins rise with the corresponding increase in the value of gold. At today's trends I think I could make about $40-$60 per coin if I sold now. The problem is numbers. I couldn't afford to buy dozens of coins, so the actual profit I'd realize would be comparatively small. So, I'm going to hold them, maybe long term, and hope that the rise in gold prices continues.

8. Dazman

Dazman Junior Member

The key idea in most of these posts is relative value be it aesthetic or real. Asthetic value is a tough call. Some people think a Van Gough is the most beautiful thing on earth and would pay millions. Others think it's crap and wouldn't pay a penny. The poster says he doesn't hold them with any real aesthetic pleasure so we must discount that for these purposes.

Real value is more easily determined. In this case gold has a real value as set by market demand. The most immediate and reliable valuation type available. In all demand curves there is a resistance point or a price-point over which the price will not easily go higher. The current high end resistance point is at or around $500 based on demand curve analysis. So the current price is close to the resitance point. One point to consider when approaching a resistance point is that the price of the commodity (yes gold is a commodity even though it does not get consumed in the food sense but does in the market sense) can fall drastically if it fails to "puncture" the resitance point.

All that said to get to this point in the decsion making process; Is the profit made high enough to satisfy the desired profit motive or does the seller think that he should get more? This determination should be non emotional. Say as in I can make a 30% profit by selling this car or keep from losing alot of money by not selling it and the motor blowing up rendering it virtually useless.

The decision made could be any of the three:

1. Hold - Not enough profit to be made and I think it will go higher (short term or long term)
    2. Sell - Profit is good enough or better than good enough and there are better investments to be made. Or I think the price is going to go down and will not have a chance to realise this particular profit factor in the short term.
    3. Hedge - Partial sell to realise some of the profit to be had and hold the remainder and decide what to do based on future market conditions.

Only the seller can make this value based judgement based on his market expectations, level of risk he would like to assume and current liquidity requirements.

Whew, didn't think this lesson in Market Based Economics 101 would go on this long lol.

Daz

9. fiddlehead

fiddlehead Well-Known Member

I'm holding some bullion type coins in addition to more collectable stuff, mostly old gold. I will sell when a. all other money is worthless and it can be traded for essential goods, or b. if I need the funds for something else and have no other resources. And if I never sell, I will leave them to my children and their children, perhaps for college. I give financial/investment advice sometimes - only when asked - I usually have the same answer: diversify, save, don't spend any more money than you have to on consumer goods (including automobiles and housing) and outside of that, only buy things that have good long term potential for resale, i.e., not junk. You can never know what circumstances will be in the future.... I was curious so I asked the bank "if the power grid went down would people still be able to get into their safety deposit boxes?" Answer, "yes". Whether that would matter or not, I don't know, but good to know it would likely be possible. I have a friend who traded her last gold trinket - to bribe a guard - to get out of the Warsaw Ghetto when the trains were being loaded up for the trip to Auschwitz. Wow! Good trade, huh?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  10. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Do you plan on living another 300-500 years ? Because that is probably when you will find "all money is worthless" along with virtually every apocalyptic forecast. :D

I think making investment decisions based on forecasts of war, hyperinflation, asteroid or meteor strikes, or other End Of The World scenarios is the antithesis of "investing" which is making sound financial decisions based on expected probabilities of future returns.

Sure, have some "disaster insurance" for an outlier situation. But don't make the outlier the norm. It's the far-end tail probability, not the belly of the curve. :D

11. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I'll just leave this here.
    IMG_20231230_132125985.jpg IMG_20231230_132132448.jpg
    Personally I would hold off selling unless you need the money or have some other investment that would produce better returns.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

It all depends what your goals are, if your a flipper maybe not but if your a long term
    investor like me price really isn’t a concern
    because 20-25 yeas from now it will all average out.

13. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Wonder if the OP offer to sell gold bullion at ~ $500 an ounce is still open ? :D:D:D

-jeffB and mpcusa like this.
  14. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Wishful thinking..LOL

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, I read the first post with increasing puzzlement, then looked at the date, then thought "oh, THIS ought to be good"... :rolleyes:

The original post was made a few years after I sold my first Apple stock. I'd bought it at $30, and sold it around $60. Doubled my money! Of course, each of those shares would've turned into 56 shares today, at $180 each... :banghead:

16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I know a fellow that made that play and did hold it until 5-6 years ago….. He used to be a good friend but now I am too lowbrow for him.

17. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

He wasn't a good friend then EITHER. HIS LOSS.

-jeffB and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

There's something to be said for not getting rich until you're old enough to be set in your poor-person ways. If it happens earlier, it can change you in the wrong ways, or reveal the wrong things about who you already are. (Then again, so can being poor, I guess...)

Draft saved Draft deleted