One "silly" looking coin!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Nov 9, 2018.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

He knew he was going to be my Secret Santa this year, that's why. ;)

chrsmat71, Nyatii, Multatuli and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I agree! Esp. when you get it for a STEAL (950Euros) I can use it later for a really great trade. In the Slovakian Auction (Macho& chaplovic)
    I was originally interested in a Transylvanian AV Dukat / BUT it went $$$$$$$. These/ mine are the only 2 examples I have ever seen from the Cordoba mint of this ruler.
    John

PS: Not a good thing to be sitting at home, snowed out. Got tempted and got two more coins this morning from Ranieri Auction....2 FDC Papal States coin/ 1770 AV Zecchino Clemente XIV/ AV Doppia 1818 Pius VII:) Instead of making $ . I am spending $

4. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

I know you like blowing leaves away, but can you also blow snow too?

panzerman likes this.
  5. panzerman

Yeah.....I am good at that too:happy: But, I would rather be out snowmobiling. I just saw this 67 Vette (427-435HP frame off restored for sale) Unfortunately I cannot get it since its got a manual trans/:( 2017-Arctic-Cat-M6000-Sno-Pro.jpg b86d4f29d369cf3cae01b643d058d37b.jpg

6. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Yawn.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Very nice coin panzerman, oh and glad I live in Florida, I hate snow.

panzerman likes this.
  8. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

Edited
    So if you don't have a coin related topic to discuss than shut your dang cakeholes!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2018
    Curtisimo and coinsareus10 like this.
  9. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

As a retired atmospheric scientist climate change discussion shouldn't be political. Those that use it as a political tool have something to gain or are just ignorant of the science. Since this a coin forum I won't go any further and apologize to any I've offended.

Cucumbor likes this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Ya know Geezer if you're that board I'm sure you could hop in the car drive down to the local Walmart,stand by the Coin Star,
    Machine, and rip off some little old ladies as you have bragged about doing so in "YOUR" past post!;)

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice capture! What a strange depiction of Christ.

Caesar_Augustus and panzerman like this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

So I guess that means, no, you don't have any ancient coin related insight to share. You're just starting trouble for the sake of it... got it.

dougsmit and panzerman like this.
  14. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

FYI, I was wondering HOW you got away with your post in the first place. In truth, you know from several of my past posts that I make judgements on a poster's ability to articulate his point of view, and that often happens quickly. You typed "then" when you should have typed "than." This is a common mistake among many who misuse the language. Then you come back at me for commenting that YOU wanted to attack the OP and type "board" instead of "bored." Case closed.

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

What I'm curious about is how did this depiction fit in with the culture at the time...the art history of it makes it interesting to me.

panzerman, Curtisimo and Jay GT4 like this.
  16. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

I've wondered that myself. How do we go from life-like portraits to these stylized images. Was it a lack of skilled artists or was it something more? Maybe being an artist wasn't seen as important. Or maybe nobody was paying artists so the techniques were lost.

panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  17. panzerman

The Visigoths hired sub standard mint employees, the die engravers did a lousy job of depicting Jesus/ or for that matter their Kings on coinage. The legends are better, since its easy to ID the mint/ ruler:happy: The opposite is the case for the artistic designs of Roman coinage from Vespasian to Constantine I. The Gallic Empire also issued beautifull aurei. The Octodrachms of the Ptolomies were the apex of ancient coin design, along with Dekadrachms from Sicily.

Kentucky likes this.
  18. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

@BenSi had a really good description in his write up for his 2018 tournament entry on why Eastern styles became more abstract.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/poll-19-7-bensi-vs-10-cucumbor-round-2-cit-2018.321953/

To quote Bensi:
    Perhaps this philosophy was consciously copied by rulers in the west who wanted to seem more "Roman" (or Byzantine). I've also read somewhere that in late antiquity the style of art in general became more "common" (as in "by-and-for" the common people) and in some ways resembled the style of Roman graffiti.

BenSi, Cucumbor and Jay GT4 like this.
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that quote, I must have missed it in the competition...or forgot!

Curtisimo likes this.
  20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wait, now I'm confused. The coin you showed in 2016 seems to be the same exact coin as the one you bought at auction yesterday-- the recent images just aren't as good so the coin looked different. Did you buy it, sell it, and re-buy it or were you just showing it in 2016 as an example of a fun coin? Looks like it went unsold in a Heritage auction in 2016 with an opening bid of $500. Oddly, although the coin appears in ACsearch for that Heritage auction, the coin is missing from their archives. o_O

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Jovian363 likes this.
  21. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

What Curtis says, but also the representation of the ruler going from an image of an individual to the representation of a function. At first the portrait had to be recognizable at first glance as that of the ruler himself, and it actually is most of the time, then (not than ;) ) it had to show the attributes of power whatever the facial characteristics

Just my two cents

Q

Jwt708, TIF and Curtisimo like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted