Old green holders-1986-89

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by slackaction1, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Sample slabs were given out at shows as an example of what the current slabs looked like.

My kiddo got a new 2018 Proof cent when he went to the World's Fair Of money in 2018.
    @ddddd got me into collecting them.

ddddd and Cazador like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Unless it's a 1964 dime and a sample slab.
    Then buy the slab and get a coin for free.

Dynoking likes this.
  4. rte

rte Well-Known Member

That's why we spell it out sometimes, say it with me Old Green Holder.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  5. rte

rte Well-Known Member

See I thought it was a sample of what was coming out next years slab.

6. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

People have been examining the older holders for upgrade potential for years. A lot of the likely candidates have already been resubmitted. Unless you know that a coin has been in a collection longterm and is fresh to the market, the no-brainer upgrades are relatively few by now.
    Now, many coins in old holders are "nice for the grade", IMO, and worth paying up for, but not worth losing the old slab in an upgrade attempt that very well may not happen.

7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

If I wanted to sell my service at a show. I better have an example of the slab and coin that the customer could hold.
    And see what they would get.

8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The dollar is the best. It is a type 2.1.
    Go to the PCGS website and look up the holder museum.

slackaction1 likes this.
  9. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

I was looking at one 1879 S (OGH) this morning comparing it to the Binion 1879 S. The Binion coins graded by NGC look more beat up or bag marks than the OGH ONES to me. But they are graded the same, I' ll have to look at some other Binion's now QUESTION ??? Silver 99.00 FV in 90% trade for 1 ounce gold buffalo 10 rolls of quarters at today's prices approx. 200.00 per roll 2,000 How do you figure how much that is over spot? yeah, I KNOW OFF SUBJECT.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  10. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Excellent points...somewhere down the line, just like there is some value to a holder irrespective of the coin contained within, I think OGHs might have a value of a few hundred dollars on many bullion or quasi-bullion gold coins. Even without prospects for an upgrade.

11. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I agree with some others, the sample leave alone and the Morgan looks fairly graded. I would concentrate on the Columbian myself, and sending to CAC might get a gold bean. That would be best outcome, premium bean and still in the old holder. It sure looks nicer than a 62 to me with that pic. Information @TheFinn gave you I have no idea, I have never studied different slabs like it appears he has.

12. GoldFinger1969

I'm looking to get an OGH for a Saint.

13. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Heres a nice example, you might want to consider for cracking :)

[​IMG]

14. GoldFinger1969

Nice coin, but I'd keep the OGH and hopefully I can get a 66.

15. mpcusa

I will keep my eyes open, thats a $9,000 coin. so a bit pricey, but I really like the 9/8 its something unique :)

16. slackaction1

Yes, the 9/8 and its Gold, OGH holder that's kewl as Hell. Who told you that it is worth 9 G's? So that coin is going to jump three grades you think MS 66 because its gold and the 9/8. It's worth 7,500 if this coin graded 66 then as you know the price surpasses a Bit coin Purchase. In August 2022 one sold for 126,000 MS 66 (that's amazing) I knew you were going to break out the trump card GOLD in the Vegas desert.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    mpcusa and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  17. GoldFinger1969

NO, for a less expensive Saint....only Saint I would pay $9K for would be a High Relief. :D

I'd consider a Wells Fargo Hoard coin that was nice and still in the OGH. What is interesting is that the WF Hoard is so prominent and with its own label....while the much larger and more important 1983 El Salvador/MTB Hoard is much less known, and I have never seen a label for it.

Back then, you just disbursed the coins rather than try for a pedigree, I guess.

18. mpcusa

Thats around what they cost out the door
    in that grade, am really interested in finding one in A/U for my next pick up :)

19. mpcusa

Go big or go home…LOL

20. slackaction1

21. GoldFinger1969

MS-63's appear to be going for about $5,000 give-or-take...the CAC will bring it to $7,500.

66's are way more expensive.

Draft saved Draft deleted