Old Check Collectors Share Your Checks!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Stripeythecrab, Mar 19, 2013.

1. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

For those who didn't notice something KEY about urbanchemist's old checks, those orange diamonds in the center are pre-printed revenue stamps, which in turn are listed in the Scott U.S. Specialized (Stamp) Catalog. Some varieties are extremely valuable, just like some stamps are.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug444

Likewise, one of gsalexan's checks (post #20) has a pre-printed revenue stamp too.

4. doug444

Likewise, one of gsalexan's checks (post #20) has a pre-printed revenue stamp too.

5. doug444

6. keemao

keemao Well-Known Member

My Stuff

Thought I'd add my small collection of stuff. Back when I was a small lad in the mid 1950s we lived in the Mojave Desert in Ridgecrest...back with it was called a cow town and they were testing the new ejection seats at the China Lake Naval Air Station where my father worked. We used to go arrowhead hunting up 395 at the lava flows, which I don't think you can do anymore. Still can't find all the arrowheads and shell jewelry we found that I hope is still stashed at my parents' house. My father passed a few years ago and my mother is not in the best of health but she can't remember where any of that stuff is. But we used to go to old mining towns which were more like ghost towns back then. We made a trip to Randsburg in Kern County, found an old safe in an old building that held a few things that I have managed to save all these years. Here are a few of the checks I have along with a couple other documents. Cannot find JD Voss on the Internet so don't know whatever happened to him. The check register still has a couple unused checks in the back. JD VOSS 1.jpeg.jpg JD VOSS 2.jpeg.jpg JD VOSS.jpeg.jpg OLD CHECKS R.jpeg.jpg OLD CHECKS.jpeg.jpg

7. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Salty Sam got me thinking about pairing checks with their counterparts from roughly the same time period -- either obsolete banknotes or Nationals.

The checks are from my collection, however, the notes are not, shown here only for fun.

Attached Files:

8. gsalexan

The Nationals are beyond my reach, mostly, but the checks are entirely affordable!

Attached Files:

9. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

As Mr. Hessler explained the story to me..it was an experimental project to see if engraved checks would be widely acceptable to the general public..as you mentioned it was costly and never really caught on. I am not sure how many exist outside of those for Mr. Hessler but I found it interesting to say the least.

I feel extremely lucky to have received these examples!

10. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I have one from an account for world paper money expert Neil Shafer.

[​IMG]

lucyray likes this.
  11. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Tell me about it.

[​IMG]

lucyray likes this.
  12. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

lettow:
    Do you have any other info on how many people were involved in this early stage issue?
    You would think that more than 2 people that we now know of has these...pretty cool.
    Thanks for posting.

13. tigertrader

tigertrader Active Member

Very Nice Checks to all!!!

gsalexan: Your Montana Territory Checks are great examples and since I collect Territorial checks I like them very much...

Here is an Indian Territory Check with a Revenue Stamp (difficult to find). I have some with printed revenue stamps and those are even harder to find...
    TheBankofBristowBristowIndianTerritorywithRevenueStampa_zps18f64434.jpg

I also like to collect Blue Checks (don't see them too often) and I like this one with the contrasting printed revenue stamp...
    BlueCheckFirstNationalBankofMilwaukeewithprintedrevenuestamp_zps5a30d83d.jpg

What about Checkbooks? Here is the only one I have:
    CheckbookUnused-TheBankofCommerceChickashaIndianTerritorya_zpse0c2c9fd.jpg

CheckbookUnused-TheBankofCommerceChickashaIndianTerritoryb_zps67a65d6e.jpg

14. gsalexan

Fyi, that Statue of Liberty engraving appears on a 1986 souvenir card (SO38). Here's an image, with the info card ABNC issued with it.

Attached Files:

15. GrimReaper

GrimReaper Senior Member

A little Hometown piece I picked up !!

[​IMG]

To go with this !!

[​IMG]

16. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Get yourself an ink well and fountain pen, it makes any handwriting look like a million bucks. I did it with my father's old pen and ink supplies and it makes a tremendous difference!

lucyray likes this.
  17. gsalexan

GrimReaper, you just gave me a brilliant idea for a separate thread -- bank stocks! And as it turns out I do have a cert in my collection to match one of those checks. Not quite the same era, but you can't have everything.

Attached Files:

18. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Stock Certificate
    [​IMG]

National Bank Note
    [​IMG]

Check from the liquidation of the bank
    [​IMG]

gsalexan likes this.
  19. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

For my silver and gold bullion displays I use old silver and gold mining stock certificates for the back drops. I also used an old railroad stock certificate for my obsolete bank notes. So many of them have railroad vignettes on their face, it seems to fit right in. It is also easy to pair up the vignettes themselves. Many stock certificates were also printed by the American Bank Note Company. They used many of the same vignettes for the bank notes, and the stock certificates, during the same time period.

Attached Files:

20. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

If I remember right, Detecto tried to start one last year (2012) but had only one response. The one you started in March of 2011 had a much better level of participation. I think maybe Detecto's name scared people off? Probably by now, there should be some newbe's or additional purchases to old collections. You had some very nice certificates on that thread. I would do it again.

21. gsalexan

Draft saved Draft deleted