NYC FOG's 2020 - COVID19 Edition

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by paddyman98, Apr 3, 2020.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

My other thread concerning Fog's, Fic's and Fim's became a bit long so I have started a new thread.

First some definitions for new members..
    Fog - Found on ground
    Fim - Found in Meter (Parking Meter)
    Fic - Found in Coinstar

Yesterday I found my fist coins in a long time. NYC streets have been quiet but I finally found these
    20200402_080603(1).jpg

Today I did even better but with some grief..
    1 - $10.00 Bill
    1 - $10.00 Bill torn in half :yack:
    And .30 Cents
    20200403_080019.jpg

And yes.. I washed my hands and sterilized my Fog's!

Here is my other thread with lot's of finds!
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/nyc-early-morning-fog-finds-totals.331843/

For any new members.. Please do not post anything that is not related to the topic on this thread. Don't ask me mint error or variety questions!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

@frankjg yes I cleaned everything, paper currency, coins and definitely my hands.. Antibacterial soap, antivirus spray and very hot water! ;)

frankjg likes this.
  4. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

I especially like FOGs; nothing like keeping your nose to the ground! Quite some time ago I was in a carpool that would meet at a State Park&Ride lot. As I was usually early, I'd just wander around the lot playing kick the can or stone or whatever. Wasn't long before I started noticing coins laying around; a penny here, a quarter there, and before to long I was raking in 20 to 50 cents most days. To bad that I wasn't into coin collecting then; who knows what I may have had in my hand (besides germs). My biggest find there was a wallet with a few bucks in it. Fortunately there was a State Police post not far away so there it went; wallet, few bucks, and all!

However, my Biggest Find of all times was when we went out to Santa Fe to visit my daughter and family. The City was having on of their large street fairs, which we were looking over, when an absolute deluge hit. With the streets filling with water we made a dash for the car, but as we were running I noticed some odd green mixed in with a bunch debris trying to get sucked into a sewer drain. I stopped and sure enough, the "green" belonged to TWO one hundred dollar bills! As Lord knows who may have lost them, I scooped them up, gave one to my granddaughter and bought us all a nice dinner with other. Bottom line, never hurts to look down once in awhile.

Oh, and thanks @paddyman98 for the post. It's nice in these trying times to come across something that jogs our thoughts to more pleasant events from better days gone by. Semper Fidelis

john65999, Hookman, Mainebill and 2 others like this.
  5. paddyman98

Wonderful! I was at a red light when I saw a $50, 3 $10's and 3 $1's swirling around in leaves. The light turned green and the cars behind me were honking away but I didn't care because I hit my little jackpot at that moment! :greedy: $83.00 right when I needed it!

6. paddyman98

Fic -
    Found in Coinstar today..
    Just 1 coin :(

1 Rand - 2004
    20200416_162008(1).jpg 20200416_161954(1).jpg

7. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

FWIW, there is a treasury office you can send torn, mutilated, etc. currency to. They'll give full value for (IIRC) 75% of the bill and proportional for less. They get busy at times, it might take a year, but you should get $5.

https://bep.gov/services/currencyredemption.html

Stevearino and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Paddy, I can't believe you're taking money out of parking meters. Lol I'll bet NYC is low on coins to be found but you find so much up there why work? Lol

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

Biggest FOG ever! :wideyed:
    This morning -
    In the street. 27th street between 5th ave and Madison. NYC.
    20200420_064700.jpg 20200420_082849(1).jpg
    50 Pennies
    2 Dimes

I put all the coins in a cup full of water and viruscide liquid. Then I washed them with antibacterial soap. Then rinsed with hot water for about 10 minutes.

Yes.. I washed my hands 3 times! ;)

10. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Yay! and Ick!

Somebody found the change cup that they spilled their coke in last week and decided, "They're dead Jim, I'm a Doctor not a Mint Employee"

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. paddyman98

At lunchtime I went to the same spot and found the last 11 Pennies.. 61 in total! :wacky:
    20200420_120638.jpg

dwhiz likes this.
  12. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Here’s two quarters and a nickel that I found during the walks this past weekend. I found these road kill coins in the streets of San Francisco.

Attached Files:

dwhiz, ewomack, capthank and 2 others like this.
  13. paddyman98

:yack:.. Thanks for sharing!..:hilarious:

14. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Interesting subject - not for everyone, but the opportunities are definitely out there - this article might be of interest to yourself and anyone else curious about doing the FOGAE (found on ground and elsewhere) activity :cool:
    https://hubpages.com/money/50-Best-Places-To-Find-Money

paddyman98 likes this.
  15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I find acouple of cents at 7 11 almost daily when i get my coffee. Thats the only time i feel the earth beneath my feet. It's hard to get down that far

16. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

@paddyman98 I have to ask just because it’s a “covid edition”. How is it up there??? Are the streets full of people still or does it look like a waste land??? Are there still a lot of cabs running?? Just wonder how it actually is besides what the news say...

17. paddyman98

:(.. My latest FIC.. A flat Energizer Battery :hilarious:

No coins this time :shifty:
    20200423_054953(1).jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Robert Ransom and dwhiz like this.
  18. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

Well, playing golf yesterday, hole 9, went to my drive and found the ball sitting right next to a Georgia state quarter.

19. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

I guess that answered my question... nobody on the streets so your left to finding batteries...

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. paddyman98

8 Cents this morning FOG :drowning:

20200429_084612(1).jpg

dwhiz and Burton Strauss III like this.
  21. Jj Oliva

Jj Oliva Member

Paddyman my favorite bubble burster.
    Whuts Good Homie..✊
    Ey I found this one today in box of pennies... Opinion plz sir???

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted