NYC - Early morning FOG finds - Totals

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by paddyman98, Jan 28, 2019.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hi all,
    I like my early morning walks to my job in Midtown Manhattan here in NYC. I start very early so I get there with some pretty empty streets which allows me to go FOG hunting!
    FOG - Found On Ground coin finds ;)

Every workday I find an average of .04 to .10 cents. Every once in a while I find a Quarter or two. Coins discarded every night make me happy. Especially when they add up!
    I have a little bag at work with about $5.00 in FOG finds just for this January.

Oh.. I also go to 7-Eleven for my breakfast and they allow me to take all the left over coins from overnight that fall into their under counter candy shelves!

And also with those finds the rare foreign coins and US paper currency :greedy:

They shine because of the streetlights and very easy to spot.
    20190128_063253.jpg

Today's total FOG was .34 Cents!
    20190128_063427~2.jpg

Cheers!
    20190128_063202~2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

My uncle walked everywhere in the 40s and 50s.
    He picked up every coin he saw and saved them in coffee cans.
    In the late 50s all of those coins bought him and his new wife a house.
    Keep saving them, Paddy!

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hello, Mr. P!
    I'm new to coin collecting, and I understand that you know all about error coins. What type of Mint error is that on the silver coin just above the 1996 penny? Also, what is that foreign coin at the upper right. It looks like someone is giving you the finger.
    TIA!

5. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I'm (sorta) jealous you live in NYC and I don't.

MIGuy and paddyman98 like this.
  6. paddyman98

Ahhh. Great question.. It's a rare error called Road Rash. Very valuable. It affects the plating.. :wacky:

Beats me.. But it is very shinny! :hilarious:
    Utoob says it's worth hundreds!

I'm selling all coins on Etsy!

MIGuy, capthank, ZoidMeister and 8 others like this.
  7. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

What was your most memorable / notable FOG?

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Love it! I’ve never knowingly walked passed a coin on the ground. I wish I had a running tally to know how much I’ve picked up!

kountryken and paddyman98 like this.
  9. paddyman98

I posted this in 2015 so it was a FOG in 2013 -
    2 Summers ago while I was walking to my girlfriends home I found on the ground next to a pile of garbage this 1987 1oz Silver Eagle complete with COA! Don't ask me why somebody would throw it away :woot:.. I also found 2 $20 Dollar bills last week!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That girlfriend is now my wife!

10. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

My wife is a FOG collector, although not in the same vein. She has an annual contest with her sister to see who can find the most in a year. Then they donate their findings to the Salvation Army. Not many numismatically interesting coins, but she did find a $50 bill last year.

JPD3, Cheech9712, kaparthy and 3 others like this.
  11. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Perhaps that thing was stolen and they had no idea what it was and didn't even bother to look it up? Who knows, right? 2 $20 bills, that's nice finds! Congrats on the girlfriend turning into the wife!

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Love it! My wife and I compete each month. I usually win. :p I like the idea of donating to charity at the end of the year.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

I think she married you for your money.....

JPD3, MaryK, Sholom and 6 others like this.
  14. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

That smokes my January FOG count of 1 Zincoln in front of a liquor store door. Liquor store drive up windows are always good for some FOG coins.

paddyman98 likes this.
  15. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

I always check under the drive through window of my work, I get at least 50c worth of FOG

MIGuy likes this.
  16. paddyman98

Haha I hope not.. She earns a lot more than I do!

17. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Very few people will bend down to pick these up. I am 75 years old and still pick up every loose coin I see. I was talking to 2 young men at the Auto Dealership and there was a dime on the ground. I pointed it out to them and they just ignored it. Never know, it might be a 16D. When I was a kid 5 pennies would get you a soda. 19 pennies would get you a gallon of gas. Nice finds Paddy.

MIGuy, Brina, Vince11229 and 6 others like this.
  18. T-roy W

T-roy W New Member

5-6 years ago, a $100 bill in a parking lot

19. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

My little brother and I were digging a hole in the back yard and came up with an 1889 nickel.

20. Never let anyone tell you that it doesn't pay to look down. I am near 70 and still pickup pennies. The last one I found was a 2009 Lincoln Denver Penny Presidential that I needed to complete a set. Lazy people won't bend over. Sometimes it makes me wonder just how busy we are. I live in New Mexico, formerly from Texas.
    Love New Yorker's and can deal with their bluntness, not their politics.
    The General

21. Who says it doesn't pay to be curious. Congratulations and I bet there are more. Keep on digging or find someone with a metal detector. Might want to try and screen the dirt in that area. Who knows, we used to pan for gold!
    The General

Inspector43 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted