Not So Ancient Patina

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Kentucky, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The subject of Bronze Disease, Verdigrs, Patina comes up often here, I just wanted to show this. I ordered some Indian Head cents and noticed that some of them were distinctly green. I soaked them in some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) solution for a couple of days, brushing with a tooth brush and they mostly cleaned up, except for this one. Can I call it a "Patina"? Looks greener in-hand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ominus1 and Marsyas Mike like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Call it what you want. Before and after pictures would be more convincing.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's a patina, all right, and a familiar one to me from my detecting experience.

It's not so appealing on a 127-year-old US Indian cent - mostly because of general collector consensus - but that sort of patina would not likely be considered such a negative attribute on an ancient bronze coin.

Amos 811 likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I will add that one or two of the 1880s Indian cents I've dug from 8-10" deep in the sandy, well drained soil of a local park here had a nice smooth, hard green patina on them. (Like this ancient has.) I believe it is just the sort appreciated by collectors of ancient bronze. (And post-1864 Indian cents are, of course, bronze.)

Most US coin collectors would view such patina negatively but I find it appealing- at least on a dug relic coin, when there's not too much porosity present.

And since most ancients come to us as a result of having been dug relics at some point, I guess it's par for the course.

That 1892 cent spent some time in the ground. You could call it "environmental damage" or "patina". Or both, in this case. Either way, for better or worse, it's history.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Before what?

7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i think he/she/they/it meant 'before cleaning'..:)

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Kentucky

I know, but before "cleaning" (soaking in some baking soda solution and toothbrushing) it looked the same, just dirtier. The green didn't show as well as it did in-hand.

Islander80-83 and ominus1 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted