Antoninus Pius - an Unlisted Genius Dupondius (?)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsyas Mike, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Just got a new Antoninus Pius dupondius yesterday and I figured attribution would be pretty simple. After a couple hours and a lot of confusion, I have come to the conclusion that it is an unlisted type.

I don't feel at all confident enough to make such a claim, but I found one just like it via acsearch (a German auction - "Dupondius unpubliziert?"), and I pretty much figured this must be it. RIC 566 is very similar, but the legends (mostly missing on mine, unfortunately) are different - but even with missing legends, the spacing of the lettering is considerably different. The type matches a sestertius (except radiate crown and size) RIC 984.

But I welcome corrections, please! Below is a photo and my attribution notes. The German auction I found is here: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5962804

Antoninus Pius - Dupondius Genius unlist Nov 2019 (0).jpg

Antoninus Pius Æ Dupondius
    (157-158 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P [IMP II] radiate head right / [PM TR POT X]XI COS IIII
    S-C, Genius standing, sacrificing with patera over altar left and holding cornucopiae.
    RIC 984 (sestertius); see notes.
    (12.75 grams / 25 mm)

Attribution Notes:

Apparently unlisted as dupondius, identical legends and devices to RIC 984 (sestertius). Similar to RIC 566 (as) but obv. legend lacks IMP II and reverse legend
    lacks XXI. Identical type sold at Münzen & Medaillen GmbH Auction 48 May 24, 2019,
    "Knapper Schrötling. Als Dupondius unpubliziert?"

Share your "unpubliziert?" ancients and how you reached your conclusions.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Interesting. This is the only dupondius of this reverse type in the British Museum collection and it's clearly the wrong year.

00665380_001_l.jpg

4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This one might be a match to your coin. Its reverse legend is unclear, though:

5962804.jpg

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I have this coin I believe is unpublished, a Marcus Aurelius provincial. I haven't found a match online and several post here, at coin community forum, and at forum ancient coins (by the previous owner) didn't turn up any references for it from the coin experts.

Capture.JPG

Johndakerftw, Marsyas Mike and Bing like this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

Thank you RC for looking into this - the auction you linked is the one I found, and as far as I can tell, the only one findable in a basic online search (I realize I've hardly ransacked the world).

This is rather exciting for me - I've never had an "unpublished" anything before. Except for some iffy things that are probably unpublished because they are not genuine.

thejewk likes this.
  7. Marsyas Mike

I like it, chrsmat71, but I don't know what it is either... I did a quickie acsearch and did come up with a Marcus Aurelius / Horseman AE from Phrygia - not an exact match by any means, but it is kind of similar, I thought:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3277949

chrsmat71 and thejewk like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted