Norfed-Liberty Dollars

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by tmoneyeagles, Jul 9, 2010.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Word of warning - this thread is just a whisker away from being closed. The political aspects of the subject are NOT open to discussion !

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Interesting, I was not aware of such an arrangement with the cotton mills, but it describes perfectly the situation that surrounded the coal industry in the late 19/early 20th century. The use of scrip for the payment of mine workers lasted up until around 1920 I believe.

4. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Press Problems?

tmoneyeagles;
    I just purchased this $5 round and noticed a peculiarity. The nose, lips and chin have a weak strike, something I have seen on coins from the Royal Hawaiian Mint. Since Bernard von Nothaus was the creator of the Liberty dollar and also the Hawaiian Mint, (with Telle Presley in Hawaii) is this an equipment issue associated with von NotHaus's press? I have a 1984 Jubilee Medal of Hawaii produced by Bernard with the identical problem. I have never noticed this before on other coins or medals. Have you encountered anything similar in nature?
    P1010790.jpg P1010815.jpg

5. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I wanted to ask a friend that knows a "little" about these things before I replied.
    As far as his knowledge goes, Bernard was not one to have minting problems, as far as many errors and weak strikes go. (That doesn't mean there weren't any, but I and he would put our money on the fact that there was excellent quality control)

One thing that stands out to me is the blue color on the coin which mingles with a brownish/black. It almost looks like the blue is peeling off of the coin. In hand, is this just toning or do you see what I'm seeing?
    Also, the way the coin was shot raises a few questions about the rims. Can you post pictures of just the rim of the coin?

I'm positive the coin is authentic, but my friend who I contacted isn't so sure.

6. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

I feel like an outsider! Somebody PM me what the edited is all about!

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's pretty simple, political discussion is not permitted on Coin Talk. So when members post political comments those comments are edited out by moderators.

8. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

I feel like an outsider! Somebody PM me their political comments!

9. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

P1010824.jpg P1010818.jpg tmoneyeagles;
    Sorry I was so late with my post also. I had to get a new modem from my cable company and I was off line for two days. I have the pictures of the rim you requested. I assumed you wanted an edge view. The blue cast you referred to, was probably a lighting issue caused by two different bulbs. One has a diffuser built into the flood but it is not on the other. The blue cast does not exist in real time.

10. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

does anyone suggest i buy anyof these liberty dollars???

11. lilrud

lilrud New Member

I see this guy finally got convicted. Good verdict by the jury. There's enough trouble in this country without someone trying to pass off bogus money. Does that make all of these coins illegal to use in purchases? I hope so.

12. thecigarnut

thecigarnut Member

I have seen a few of these items listen on ebay, many going for just a few over face - I have looked through the provided urls for information but does anyone know about the $5 dollar coins with the moose imprinted on them? I am trying to collect the full set (before prices jump again haha) and wanted to make sure this wasn't someone trying to pull a fast one.

Thank you,
    David

13. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

David;
    You might want to try and PM tmoneyeagles, the OP of this thread. He seems to be very knowledgable about them and knows others he can ask as well. I haven't seen him post in a while, but it may be strictly a chance thing.

14. awwatchdog1

awwatchdog1 Member

rare coins

I have several liberty dollar coins that are rare.

3coin.JPG 3coin.JPG

Ron Paul 1oz the 20z liberty and .5oz peace stop the war coin

15. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

You cannot solicit business on the forum. After you have a minimum of 10 posts, you can list them in the classified section. We don't want our site junked-up with coin advertising.

16. awwatchdog1

awwatchdog1 Member

fixed it sorry!

17. libertylover

libertylover New Member

Bogus money is what the government puts out. Welcome to hyperinflation, sponsored by the US government. Silver and gold are real money. They hold their value.

I will take Liberty Dollars over paper fraud notes any day.

18. Happy

Happy New Member

I just bought two NORFED silver oz. over the weekend. They are .999 silver, nice to look at. And they have that "Liberty outlaw" thing going.
    They make a nice collectors item.
    The feds didn't like the competition, plain and simple. Now they have a political prisoner...

19. tmoneyeagles

Re-shot three of the coins this afternoon while I had my camera out.
    Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

That '09 silver $20 with the 'peace' symbol is the schiznit, T$!!

21. tmoneyeagles

LOL! Glad ya' think so! :D
    That is definitely one of my favorite ones in my collection!

Draft saved Draft deleted