noob question on selling bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by AlexN2coins2004, Jul 12, 2013.

1. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

so I got in trouble for asking advice on selling this stuff before cause I had this stuff listed for sell.
    So I took it off the for sell page on here, hopefully I'm not breaking any rules asking for help now.
    so if you were in the market to buy these coins, what would you pay?
    keep in mind that these are not your average bullion and so saying that you would pay spot price is just silly since they wouldn't be found for that.

25--2012 1 oz Silver Canadian Cougar (Wildlife Series)
    8--2011 1 oz Silver Chinese Panda (In Capsule)
    21--2011 1 oz Silver Australian Year of the Rabbit Coin
    25--2011 Canadian 1 oz Silver Wolf Coins "Wild Life Series"

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman|101

coinman|101 Member

Together, I would buy them for around 2,000 MAX. But I ain't buying, so idrk. :)

4. krispy

krispy krispy

You got a lot of advice before, I don't know what you expect to get differently now or what you missed the first time.

The key points before were to drop any sort of indication of a reason for why you were selling and that you were asking for what essentially was approaching a numismatic premium among bullion buyers at a time when silver spot is very much lower than when you bought the PMs.

In all honestly, stick those things in a box and forget about them for the next 25 years and try to sell off every other material object you have and can live without. List all your books on Amazon Marketplace, take some stuff to a pawn shop, have a yard sale (it's summer in many places and a good time for that activity), borrow cash from a relative or let them hold the silver until you can buy it back from them later (as collateral)... look for another way so as to avoid taking a loss on your silver.

coinman|101 likes this.
  5. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

APMEX will take them off your hands for close to spot!

If you really need the money, and you bought when silver was much higher, take the hit and chalk it up to a learning experience.

You might get slightly more if you listed them on eBay, but then eBay and Paypal will take their fees, which is around 12% right out of the selling price.

Krispy's right though, if you want to avoid falling into the trap of buying high and selling low, then you need to bite the bullet and hold onto them until PM prices come back, could be months, years or decades. But history says eventually PMs will rise again.

6. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

If I were in the market to buy those coins I would look at how much they cost at retailers and on ebay and then deduct at least 10% or 15% since the seller wouldn't have the fees of the other guys. And if I were purchasing the entire lot, the discount would be substantially larger.

coinman|101 likes this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

regardless of design:

spot less a fee

8. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

Just because we don't agree doesn't mean you were in trouble. You asked for and you got some pretty good advice. You need to understand you are not a retailer, and can't expect private buyers such as us to pay the premium to a private seller. Same with trying to recoup the difference between what you paid and the current spot price. First rule is not to buy PM with income that can/should be used elsewhere, including cash in a savings account. This way emergencies can be taken care of without trying to liquidate assets while trying to break even/profit from those assets. My personal philosophy on buying silver is that it is a savings account separate from all other forms of saving. I only buy government issued silver (ASE, Maple Leaf, etc). At the present time I have no intention of doing anything with these coins. But when they go to my granddaughter, she can make some money off the sale. Keeping in mind that no matter what the spot price of silver is at that time, any money she gets from the sale is pure profit for her. Why? Because she has nothing invested in the asset. If I have to sell because I'm in a plight similar to what you claim, then I'm looking for quick cash, not maximization of profit. I never considered my silver purchases as an investment, hedge, or doomsday stash. They are merely another way of saving for someone else's future.

Nothing turns me off more than when someone says "I can get this much on eBay, so that's my price". I have even seen people print eBay auctions as "proof" of their item's value. My response is always, "then put it on eBay, and good luck". While eBay completed auctions is a good reference point, like the Red Book it is not the Bible of pricing.

While I sympathize with your plight, as a stranger reading your "ad" I am immediately presented with the image of the deposed Nigerian prince who has my lottery winnings. If you need to sell, sell local to somebody who will make you a fair offer. If you can, keep them until spot rises to a level when you can break even or realize a profit.

silverfool and saltysam-1 like this.
  9. purple88

purple88 Active Member

Did you sell the Pandas yet?

Draft saved Draft deleted