No mint 1945 and 1945 pennies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Peter Economakis, Mar 29, 2020.

1. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

You got a dollar maybe two dollars worth of cents per roll. What a waste of money and it just allows that guy, and others like him to keep ripping people off.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

He's a big seller on ebay with just penny coins? We have to be thinking the same guy.. Maby he did some silver before I don't know.
    How he manipulates ebay so many times to take back negative feedback I don't know? I guess it's easy but after a while they have to catch on. He did want to do Paypal friends and family and said he would pass on the savings to me LOLOLOL!!
    I had a feeling he was all smoke with his kindness but wasn't 100% sure.
    Right away I knew they were fake wraps and even mentioned it to him but he was the first ebayer I bought from. The 1 slug he put in the roles every now and then I learned from this forum where fake. Plus they where to shiny LOL!
    That's why i'm starting to do the single coin thing.

l.cutler likes this.
  4. EPOcoins

EPOcoins New Member

Wow! The problem is that it is not "he", that is a big seller. It's a scam that is catching on, and there are enough suckers to buy them. In the "sold" section, one sold for $900, and several others in the lower hundreds. They weren't even good looking circulated coins. So, if you know me well, you would know what I would do, and I did it. I put a very bad looking 1944 wheat penny out there for sale for $5. Mostly, because after PayPal takes their cut, and eBay takes their cut, then the cost of the free shipping, I'm not left with much. But, in the description I put the following:

1944 Pennies without a Mint Mark are NOT Rare!
    What Are 1944 Pennies Worth?

So, what’s the difference between the value of a regular 1944 copper penny and a 1944 steel penny? More than $100,000!

Here are the details:

• 1944 copper Lincoln cent (NO MINT MARK) "1,435,400,000" minted; 3 to 5+ cents
    • 1944-D copper Lincoln cent 430,578,000 minted; 3 to 5+ cents
    • 1944-S copper Lincoln cent 282,760,000 minted; 3 to 5+ cents
    • 1944-D over S copper Lincoln cent mintage known; $100+

• 1944 steel cent (any mint) — 15 to 20 estimated; $100,000+
    • THIS IS THE "ONLY" RARE 1944 WHEAT PENNY!!!

So, MY 1944 WHEAT PENNY with NO MINT MARK is priced fairly, and Shipped USPS First Class.

Picture taken with LED magnifier, giving it a slight purple cast. Please ask if you have questions.

No returns.

I found this on the net. Guess what happened. Someone actually bought it, and in less than two hours. Sad, really sad.

IMG_1129.jpg IMG_1130.jpg

There not even good pictures.

5. EPOcoins

EPOcoins New Member

Here are examples of this scam on Ebay. These are coins that have just sold!

Screenshot (549).jpg

6. Peter Economakis

Hi EPO,
    i'm a little confused about your post?
    My last post about a "big seller" is from a penny role seller that I bought from numerous times and I knew they weren't unsearched but the seller threw in a few coins to make the deal just kinda ok but nothing all that great.

The 44 non mint single penny for big money was another subject but I didn't buy.
    Are you a seller or just giving a example of ebay and paypal fee's?

7. EPOcoins

EPOcoins New Member

Sorry for any confusions! I found the following in the "original" posting that started this thread:

"Long story, what is a no mint 1944 or 1945 penny? It doesn't have to do with any double die type of error? I'm seeing ads on Ebay for plain looking 44's and 45's for $100 to $400. If this link is a against forum rules please tell me and I will delete it. (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/no-mint-1945-and-1945-pennies.357438/)"

I am attempting to respond to that point only.

Facts:

There are numerous people listing the 1944 wheat penny, "no mint" as RARE, and asking huge and crazy prices. Sadly, people are paying them. The above posting showing green dollar amounts are listings that sold, and for those amounts.

This made me angry enough to list a 1944 penny (and a bad one at that) for $5, and in the details (also shown in the comments above) I shared information about the 1944 penny. This was in hopes that potential buyers would see this and not fall for the scams. Instead, someone bought my penny!

I hope this explanation clears up any confusions. I don't have any comments on the first part of the original posting.

dlts and Peter Economakis like this.
  8. anniequilts

anniequilts Member

over flowing pennys that he found at old shed that hadn't been occupied since the late 30's. It also shows the plastic scoop that he will use to fill your bags of "unsearched" pennys:yawn:[/QUOTE]

But gee, it can happen. My dad died last year at 103. Clearing out the house (he was a hoarder) so far, I have found two 5-gallon buckets each half full of pennies! He just dumped them all in the buckets down cellar!!! I have pennies pretty shiny from the 60s, etc. Not sure what to do with them yet, just dump them in a coin counter??? But people do occasionally find buckets of coins ignored for years. I found a whole coffee can full of buffalo nickels, etc.

9. Peter Economakis

Hi EPO, ok I get it now:), it's feedback from my original post.
    Wow, putting a 44 up for $5 and explaining it is a good way of trying to show that these people are scammers without possible legal issues;)
    Yup it kills me when people get scammed, anything to help!

10. Peter Economakis

But gee, it can happen. My dad died last year at 103. Clearing out the house (he was a hoarder) so far, I have found two 5-gallon buckets each half full of pennies! He just dumped them all in the buckets down cellar!!! I have pennies pretty shiny from the 60s, etc. Not sure what to do with them yet, just dump them in a coin counter??? But people do occasionally find buckets of coins ignored for years. I found a whole coffee can full of buffalo nickels, etc.[/QUOTE]
    Wow, your Pops lived to 103.:)
    I'm sure there are estate finds and it sounds you got a nice bunch and good amount of coins.
    There is no person though that I believe would just sell them without going through them first.
    Please tell us what you find!!

11. dlts

dlts Well-Known Member

Perhaps I dealt with the same weasel you did a while back, and like you was trusting and blind. Guess we have to chalk it up to lessons learned (the hard way). But still, it sure is tempting to buy more from somewhere else! I'm just hoping that our next ventures will be more positive. Happy hunting!

12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Yeah. You need to get a RED BOOK. Do yourself a favor

13. Cheech9712

I'm surprise he didn't say his great grandma filled it

14. Cheech9712

Who was thre guy who said there's a sucker born every minute. I'm thinking P T Barnum

Peter Economakis and Jeffjay like this.
  15. Cheech9712

Peter. Lesson learned. If it sounds to good. Be aware. Morals are taught by good parents. Bad parents create these scum bags. I like money. But with morals it's an honest buck. You seem to have more money then cents. Think twice before you run into this problem again.

16. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Peter, Peter, Peter, Peter, Peter,....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:...you're fiddle-fartin' around, on ebay, no less, & complaining that you were scammed - all the while you admittedly have the equivalent of 400 of your own unsearched rolls??????

If you start now, at 20 seconds per coin (I mean, how much time do you need for a cent? :jawdrop:), maximum 4 hours a day (really, who could do more than 4 hrs?...am I right? :smug:) it would take you just under 56 days to finish! By then either the world will be back in motion, or "unsearched" cents will be the least of your worries.

Consider your experiences a lesson learned, don't do it again, & get your butt in gear! :D

17. Peter Economakis

So nice that you said that.
    My parents just didn't come any more honest.
    In the way way back days when I was maby 7 or 8 the family went shopping and I took off this wax stamp of a bottle of liquor on the shelve that looked like a coin.
    My father happened to see the next day in my room and oh boy did I get a scolding;) He knew exactly where it came from.
    It's from this lock down boredom that i'm triggered to buy but i'm done..Thank's Cheech!

18. Peter Economakis

I know I know:(
    They are only near Boston and i'm in Fall River now.
    Not really to hard to get to these.
    I had put away key dates in some tubes and the steel 43's in others.
    I do remember not sorting the dates with the others meaning 30's 40's 50's mixed that I didn't see any special value.
    Like I had mentioned I didn't fill the 2 date books. I was active with them in the late 70's and early 80's but in the 90 or 92 was the last time I looked at them a little bit. All I had were magazines to go by and no forums and lurking this one i'm seeing alot has changed as far as rarity and defect pricing etc. I only had the old Blue Book too.
    When I do grab them i'm sure hoping I missed something..

PlanoSteve likes this.
  19. Peter Economakis

20. Peter Economakis

This is getting weird and a new one to me..
    It's about the seller I was whining about..who I told i'm done with him about 2 weeks ago.
    This seller has never ever ever ever ever left any feedback to anyone who has bought from him. 0 left for buyers from him in all his ebay years..
    I check this morning and out of the blue he left me 4 positive buyer feedbacks but they are all tailored made for him.:eek:
    Basicly saying i'm a great smart loyal buyer who knows top notch OBW investor grade rolls and coins. Almost calling me brilliant for knowing greatness because I bought his rolls.. You have to be kidding me.
    He is advertising himself on my positive feedback!
    I guess he went through the trouble of looking at my last coin purchases and my feedback to other sellers..

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted