Nickel - the next sleeper 'bullion'?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Mr. Flute, Nov 4, 2021.

1. rte

rte Well-Known Member

So your saying your going to be the end user?
    The end user with a few large trash cans of nickels?
    What do you intend to do with all those nickels?
    Gold, silver, copper would serve you better...that is the extent of collecting/ hoarding nickels.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

The melt value is based on a dollar amount that the end user is paying for...um...pure nickel. Do they actually care what form the nickel is in? Whether it's in bars, ingots, round 5-cent shaped disks, etc. - does it matter?

enamel7 likes this.
  4. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm not arguing that there isn't a use for nickel.
    Problem is that you arent going to be sitting on enough weight in nickels to make it worth a comercial operation to waste their time to buy from you.
    Get realistic...your time and money is better spent on other avenues.

5. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

That’s not how it works.

6. Mr. Flute

Don’t over think this. It’s really just about having some fun.

7. rte

rte Well-Known Member

That's where I got derailed.
    for fun and 'just in case'
    I overlooked the fun part for the just incase part.
    I've got too much to do that feels like work for the fun part.

8. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

-jeffB likes this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

LOL! At least they're carrying the data consistently through their page, reporting copper cents at a "melt price" of 6.6 cents each... :rolleyes:

slackaction1 likes this.
  10. rte

rte Well-Known Member

I know a guy that took unc zinc cents and glued them together to make an eagle sculpture.
    It sat on the counter in his metal detecting store for years, then one day a guy came in and bought it for $500.

slackaction1 likes this.
  11. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

I'm in northeast Ohio too. Once in a while i get one but don't know what to do with them. The banks won't accept them,or any other foreign coins or currency anymore.

manny9655 likes this.
  12. Mr. Flute

Still messed up at this moment.

13. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

They fixed it, I thought I was going to retire off my copper penny stack for a minute, well maybe not retire but at least go to Sizzler for all you can eat salad bar.

-jeffB likes this.
  14. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I have a 1947 Nickel (my birth year) and 2 1964 Nickels. Both in great shape. I mentioned earlier that I had posted on Coin Talk that the only Canadian coins we get in my neck of the woods in North Carolina, we might get a Canadian Cent which i was shortly contacted that he had a "bunch" of Canadian coins and would I like some. Of course I would like some. I got a bunch of coins that looked like they had just come from the Canadian Mint. I was blown away and very impressed and appreciated for the coins he gave me. I tried to send a Thank You card, but lost his address. But there are a lot of great people in coin collecting haven. (No. I didn't misspelled "heaven".) Most of the coins look like commemorative coins, but, no matter what they are, I need to find a book or some other means to understand the descriptions of the coins.
    Again, thanks to all of you for everything you do and take time to do. Once I get some way to identify the coins, I will let you all know what I have.

Paddy54 and Cheech9712 like this.
  15. Mickey in PDX

Mickey in PDX Active Member

Some years ago while working in Canada, client pulled open the desk drawer and I spyed a bin of US cents, 5 cent pieces and asked "what is that for?". Client replied "when we find them in circulation in Canada, we save them to spend when we go to the US". I thought that was pretty smart thinking, accepting a bit of premium on the US when found in Canada and realizing the premium when spending them in the US.

-jeffB and manny9655 like this.
  16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I’ve had that same problem

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

You need the Canadian equivalent to our red book their Charlton standard catalogue Canadians coins or visit coins and canada web site. https://www.coinsandcanada.com/

18. Mr. Flute

As of today, the Canada pure nickel 5 cents are up to $0.1122 per coin.

Time to throw the other world nickel coins in the pile with them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  19. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I've been hoarding nickles for years.
    I have around $800 worth. Was going to cash them in a couple of years ago but decided that if you're going to be a hoarder, be a hoarder.
    They're worth 6.8 cents today. I know I couldn't get that much for them but if I could I might think about letting them go.

20. Mr. Flute

I'm only interested in hoarding pure nickel coins as they are much more likely to be valuable/sellable in the future because there is a one less refinement step.

US 5 cent coins are cupro-nickel alloy and not really worth the loss of present value hoarding would cause.

21. Mr. Flute

[​IMG]
    1955 - 1981 Nickel $0.05 $0.1265361

Heavymetal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted