Nickel - the next sleeper 'bullion'?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Mr. Flute, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

So there is this information today:

Canada 5 cent (1922-1981) = $0.0882278 of Nickel (as of right now)

Time to nickel search in the northern US states to get these sweet, sweet pure nickel coins for face value.

Anyone else save these (or any of the pure nickel world coins) for fun and 'just in case'?

Also, anyone in MI, Upstate NY, ME, NH and VT save me some from circulation.

;):)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

I have a few of those.

can-nickels-rev-2.jpg

can-nickels-obv-2.jpg

can-nickels.jpg

4. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

What years you looking for? I'll check these when i have a few minutes and mail you what I've got.
    20211104_141912.jpg

5. Mr. Flute

1922-1981 (except for Tombacs).

For free?

Thank you!

;)

CoinJockey73 likes this.
  6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I am get them in change from time to time but that’s about it.

7. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

I live in Maine.
    I find plenty of Canadian coins!!

8. leAurenard

leAurenard New Member

Thanks for the 'heads-up', Mr. Flute. My wife is Canadian (now dual citizenship) and for years keeps a little 'stash' of Canadian currency to facilitate traveling there to visit kin. I asked if she had any nickels. She dug into her stash and gave me a handful. I culled 21 (1965 to 1981) bright, shinny, 99.9% nickel, beaver back, 5 cents'ers out of the bunch. So, that gives me $1.89 (US) worth of nickel. :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Mr. Flute and CoinJockey73 like this.
  9. CoinJockey73

I didn't know you replied to me!
    I found 22 within that range. I'm new to all this coin stuff, so i wouldn't be averse to a swap, but I'll send them out anyway, if you're not down to trade. Let me know.

10. Mr. Flute

No problem. You keep them and enjoy some (theoretical) automatic profit. :)

11. CoinJockey73

So i pulled 22 of these, in this date range, and this guy doesn't want them. Yes, i mentioned a swap, shame on me, but i really couldn't care less about gaining anything from these. Anybody want a few? I'll send out multiple packs of 3 each, can send out 7 first class postage envelopes for like 58 cents each, or something like that. Easy stuff. PM me your address, and I'll mail as soon as i can, first come, first serve.
    Call me daft for not being able to tell if the OP was a joke. I saw an opportunity to help, that's all.

12. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I've lived in NH 5 years and even go up north and I rarely see any Canadian coins in change.

13. Mr. Flute

Update: These nickel CAD 5 cent coins are up to 9.5 cents in metal 'value'.

1955 - 1981 Nickel $0.05 $0.095066 (Nickel $9.5942/lb [​IMG] 0.3311)

Cool.

leAurenard likes this.
  14. Mr. Flute

Update as of right now:

[​IMG] 1955 - 1981 Nickel $0.05 $0.1002363

Mickey in PDX likes this.
  15. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

98DA22C3-75FA-4770-9C10-1F1316963523.jpeg 469B5791-B6E1-4F1F-9B8F-9294A9698EEE.jpeg I saved the Canadian nickel 5 cents by the roll. Did some CRH at home in Syracuse NY a few years ago. I’ll put together a set when I get back from Florida in the spring. For now here’s one for your enjoyment

Cheech9712 and CoinJockey73 like this.
  16. rte

rte Well-Known Member

No
    Melting point of
    2,651°F
    1,455°C

17. Mr. Flute

What's your point?

18. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I live in Northeast Ohio. I used to see Canadian coins, especially cents, fairly often. But I haven't seen any Canadian coins of any kind in small change in several years. You would think that all the tourists that come to Put-In-Bay, Cedar Point, Port Clinton, etc. would spend their Canadian change but I guess not.

19. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

His point is that nickel is a very hard metal and not easy to melt compared to other PMs. It's not easy to work with from what I understand. He's saying that nickel won't be the next sleeper bullion for those reasons.

rte likes this.
  20. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

It's 99.9% pure...no need to melt it! lol

Heavymetal, Mr. Flute and -jeffB like this.
  21. JTL

JTL Member

I live in a state bordering Canada. Used to see Canadian nickels regularly. Nowadays, seems like most of the ones I come across are the new crummy plated steel ones. I keep all the older pure nickel ones I come across…I thought I heard the Canadian government has pulled all the old nickel alloy coins from circulation. Is this true? Did Canadians begin hoarding the old nickel alloy coins when this happened?

Draft saved Draft deleted