Featured NGC World Coin Submission

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Sep 20, 2019.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I mean, the Thai medal...that’s reasonable. I can accept that and move on.

I just can’t for the life of me figure out what was supposed to have been cleaned on that Cape Verde reverse. Does anyone else see what they could be referring to?

(Honestly, I still think it’s a gorgeous coin and I don’t care.)

Paddy54 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%.....the medal I myself would not of sent in....but as for everything else all were spot on.

4. Paddy54

The area I circled is what they are referring to? East of the 5 20190925_205308.jpg

stldanceartist likes this.
  5. stldanceartist

I suppose - but to me that looks like a fingerprint (which NGC has done to me before, had an AU58 1902 Low Sea Level GB Penny that came back with a HUGE fingerprint on, I made them take it back and conserve it.)

I dunno, I'll have to look at the coin when I get it back. I don't remember it showing any signs of cleaning/damage last time I looked at it.

Paddy54 likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Its a shame as i do like it as well a few of the others the Domican Republic 1 centavos is my favorite.

7. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Cape Verde 1930 5c - Unc Details (rev cleaned - I do NOT get this at all)
    Yep. Makes no sense from your photos. Did they see hairlines that you hadn't? Maybe they just threw that in there to make it look like they're "tough graders?"

Ceylon 1937 1c - MS66BN (Top Pop)
    Lucky!

Hong Kong 1863 1c - MS64BN
    Super lucky!

Morocco 1951 50f - MS66PL (Top Pop) (got it @physics-fan3.14 !!)
    Okay, this one is pretty sweet... Congrats~!

Netherlands Antilles 1965 2.5c - MS66+BN (Top Pop)
    Also way lucky!

Thai Medal - UNC Details (cleaned) (haha fair enough)
    It won't kill ya to have it in a Details holder...

Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 8.47.07 AM.png

stldanceartist and Chris B like this.
  8. stldanceartist

Yep, just got the coins back yesterday and sure enough there are scratches there. Amazed I didn't see it before. Oh well...still a gorgeous coin. :)

Stork, Paddy54 and longshot like this.
  9. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Maybe I just don't "get" grading, but it's sad that something so subtle could permanently discredit such a beautiful coin.

10. stldanceartist

Well, I think it's important to remember that it's really just a piece of metal. A shiny, attractive piece of metal - some would consider it a tiny piece of art due to the design - but the point of the grading process is to evaluate each piece based on its characteristics.

This coin has some pretty obvious scratches (that I missed; they're really obvious at a different lighting angle) and as such I agree with NGC's assessment that it was cleaned (or damaged.) Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the coin any more - just means that it doesn't deserve the same grade as a coin without the scratches.

Now, if we want to bring up unfair grades, I have a Botanic Commemorative Dollar I pulled straight from the original packaging with toning that NGC labeled as "artificial toning." Again, this is exactly how it came from the OGP:

1997 Botanic Garden - Reverse.png

I have a similar Jefferson Commemorative Dollar here that I'd like to send in, but worry it will similarly get unfairly labeled.

1993 P Jefferson Dollar 6.jpg

Johndoe2000$, mlov43 and Chris B like this.
  11. Coinsandmedals

Coinsandmedals Well-Known Member

You do a great job with your photography. I also like the mix that you sent in. The Irish farthing, in particular, is very appealing to me. I submit coins to NGC frequently and I treat it as a learning experience. I have had some come back lower, as anticipated, or even better than I expected. Regardless of the outcome, I examine them closely after I get them back to see where I can improve my accuracy. I find the process fun and it allows me to also preserve the coins in my collection. At the end of the day, the grade is an opinion and it does little to change my appreciation for the coin. It was refreshing to see this sentiment echoed here.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  12. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I was throwing together a submission once and somehow in my haste I impulsively threw in a coin without a close enough look and it was laquered...kind of glad no one really knows who I am much in real life :D.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  13. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Weird delayed double post...my internet is sucking lately.

Draft saved Draft deleted