Newbie question...

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by fools_gold, Sep 23, 2009.

1. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

Hey guys/gals:

I have 2 quick newbie questions for you. Just to let you know, I've spent A LOT of time going back and reading a bunch of old threads. Kinda funny to read what people were saying 5 months ago, 10 months ago, last year etc...

I do have to say the two members I seem to notice the most are elaine and cloudsweeper.

Cloudsweeper because of his pirate avatar and elaine because of that lovely women in the dress avatar whether it's her or not. :rolleyes:

Anyways so here goes.

1) Are all the gold coins 24K? 1/10, 1/4, 1/2, 1 ounce etc?

2) Does it really matter if I buy one 1 oz coin or two 1/2 ounce coin?

I don't think we will have the doomsday scenario where people are walking around buying things with gold coins, but I suppose having gold already sliced up would make it more appealing? Like having a bunch of 1/10, 1/4 and 1/2 coins rather than one big 1 oz coin?

what are your thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, none of them are. 100% pure gold doesn't really exist. About the closest we can get is 99.99% Gold Buffalos are 99.95%, American Gold Eagles are 91.2%. But all of them contain the same amount of gold. All of them contain 1 Troy ounce of .999 gold. If you wish to put in karats, it is 23 1/2K gold.

Yes, it matters. It matters because you pay a higher premium for the same amount of gold if you buy the smaller coins. The cheapest way to go, when buying coins, is to buy the 1 ounce coins.

But if you want, you can buy gold bars with the same amount of .999 gold for less than the one ounce coins.

4. fools_gold

fools_gold Junior Member

Fantastic thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

So I'll go with 1 ounce coins from now on then. That's what I was ordering for the silver coins but wasn't sure for the gold since it's so expensive but it seems better to save up and always go for the 1 oz gold coins...

Draft saved Draft deleted