New to the game

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Dammage, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Dammage

Dammage Junior Member

Hello all,

I just started buying bullion as a different form of investment/collection/hobby. A buddy and I are buying off of Bullion Direct. It seems to be the best way to buy month to month and then save on shipping when ready for delivery. I would like to buy locally but sales tax is 7% plus everything around here seems to be way over spot.

I'm curious as to where the rest of you buy your bullion.

Thanks,

Jason

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It depends on what your goals are. For pure bullion purchases, places like www.golddealer.com or http://bullion.nwtmint.com are prett good. For ASEs where the dealer takes care to deliver high grade coins, www.mintproducts.com is good [but slow]. I sometimes buy from my local coin dealer. In the past, I obtained some silver rounds from Ebay, but that was back when silver was unpopular and bid/ask spreads were small. I no longer use Ebay. A lot of people seem to use APMEX. Price isn't the most important factor. Don't buy damaged goods. Even if it is "only" bullion, quality can still matter when you go to resell.

Welcome to Coin Talk and have fun collecting.

4. danisanub

danisanub Finance Major

I use ebay only when I can get a good deal, but recently I found when buying bulk, go with a mint website, like pan american mint/northwest territorial mint. Apmex is good too. You can get the silver a little above spot, but shipping usually around 10$, so if you're buying 10 oz its a good deal.

5. Dammage

Dammage Junior Member

I do like the variety some of the other sites have. However, I do like on Bullion Direct for their holding service. I can buy a few hundred dollars a month. They'll hold it and then ship it to me when I'm ready. It doesn't seem like that many people have had issues.

6. Cloudsweeper99

I would never let someone else hold silver that I've paid for. If something happens to the company, you just become another unsecured creditor, last in line in the court proceedings. As you said, people won't have any issues --right up to th day when everybody has issues. I think it's a bad way to operate.

7. Grbose

Grbose CoinSpace.com CEO

8. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

apmex.com for sure

9. Dammage

Dammage Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think we'll buy on bulliondirect for a couple of more months. Take a draw and then buy from apmex. My buddy is in it straight for the silver content. I'm in it for the silver plus a little bit of collecting. apmex seems to have the widest variety and great reviews.

10. Cloudsweeper99

Check out the other thread here about National Gold Exchange filing for bankruptcy. If someone is holding your silver for you, you don't really own the silver.

11. Dammage

Dammage Junior Member

Thanks. I just saw that. I'll take a draw next week.

12. Steve27

Steve27 Member

If you want to buy a larger amount at one time www.tulving.com is probably better than Apmex.

Draft saved Draft deleted