New Norfed 2017 Trump Dollar bullion just arrived - proof instead of UNC?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Brett_in_Sacto, Feb 17, 2017.

1. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Its raining here in SoCal, but a nice variation here in the desert.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I don't usually see snow in Florida.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

There'd be more worth in getting the man himself 'certified', but hey, I like the guy......

FryDaddyJr likes this.
  5. The proof version of these seem more plentiful and less expensive than the bullion version at least on eBay.

6. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

We know he'll never be on an actual US coin, so might as well hawk a trinket to the FOX news folks.

7. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

I guess he will have a Presidential dollar at some point. No sooner than 10 years after his death I think?

8. longnine009

9. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

Ah, the lacquer fumes with a nice vintage Zinfandel from the valley... What a nice buzz! :)

10. Brett_in_Sacto

There is a definite difference between the UNC and Proof in 2016. I think in 2017 they are all proof - or at least appear to be what I got. These are definite DCAM, the mirrors and the contrast are really impressive.

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Those are real nice surfaces Brett. Id like to have one but, I refuse to use a cc to further my coin addiction.

12. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Actually I prefer Shenandoah Zins from Amador County.

13. Brett_in_Sacto

Now you are talking local. Right up the highway from us. We had a Montevina Zin last night at dinner - also from Amador. Definitely not the traditional fruit forward Zin that I like. To me, because of the colder climate they aren't as sweet as the Lodi zins, but they can be good. I love the sweet fruity zins.

The Pinot's up there are really good. The colder climate and temperature changes lend well to the varietal.

14. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

It really isn't that much cooler in Amador, but it is a bit cooler than Lodi overnight. Yes indeed, I do know all those little micro-climates out there - I like 7 Deadly Zins from Lodi, but Lodi Estates is also good. That is what is so wonderful about Cali wine country, all the little micro-climates that can make a real difference in a wine - even sometimes blocks away the temp and conditions can be so different.

15. Brett_in_Sacto

That is a fair bottle, but you should try their "Lust" and "Sloth" versions. Sloth is my absolute favorite Zin in the whole valley.

If you are in the valley here, my wife and I are always up to find someone to go tasting with. I tried to send you a PM but your account is locked down quite well. :) Drop me a note if you're interested.

Cheers!

16. Earle42

Earle42 Member

For all who don;t know - the "NORFED guy" Bernard Van Nauthaus was not sentenced - ever. He has the record for the longest time of conviction in the state of NC without being sentenced.

However, its also all over. The FBI under the obama admin admitted what they did was illegal and he was given back (unheard of) all of the actual medals he made plus silver and gold they illegally took from him.

The problem was the fed saw the NORFED dollars as a legit threat to their power as his medals (unlike the many, many other private issue currencies that were not raided) were becoming too popular.

It was a kangaroo court - download and read the court minutes - where they had to find a way to convict him of something. So they took a pic of a Mercury dime and enlarged it to show with a pic of a NORFED dollar side by side so the jury might see a design similarity - never mentioning the size difference to them.

The FBI proceeded to put out scare tatcics about possible confiscation from people having them, told ebay they should stop all auctions of them (never quit but dropped from 2-3 new pages full per day to about 10 total per day), and said it was illegal to spend them. The latter being a total lie according to law.

The fed accomplished their goal - they stopped the popularity of using Liberty Dollars - hence their absolute power to create money out of thin air had its main fear eliminated. It was only years later the fed came clean (2015 I think?). It is all online.

BTW - not long after the 2007 raid, Bernie sold the exact design rights to another firm that made these medals after specifically changing a few small wording details - not the main OBV design which the illegal court case had focused on.

So while Bernie was being illegally pressured by the fed, coins of same design were being made - but the fed-spread fear never let the new ones gain the acceptance.

Edited: Political

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2017
  17. longnine009

Does it come in a capsule?

18. Brett_in_Sacto

Nope, came in a standard 20 coin tube. I ordered a full tube.

Nathan401 and longnine009 like this.
  19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

PM'ed, not sure why no one can seemingly PM me. Hmm. will have to look into settings.

20. Brett_in_Sacto

Amazing story, thanks for sharing. Quite enlightening. Personal agenda against a particular company - not against any specific practices that others were partaking in.

21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I think he did traipse into a grey area, but not one that hasn't been travailed through before - he just rattled the wrong cage. Other entities, even states have partaken of contracting or authorising private coinages - California, Texas come to mind. But in their instances no one attempted to use or force the usage of said semi-official coinage.

Draft saved Draft deleted