WTS: New Coin Photo System

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by rmpsrpms, Jan 22, 2019.

1. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Second and Third systems have been sold! I am building a 4th and am still soliciting inputs for improvements. Some folks have requested "axial" lighting, and I will look into adding this. I have also looked at integrating a Canon Auto Bellows instead of the Vivitar, and it works well, so I can add that as a no-cost option.

First system buyer swapped out the Noritsu 86mm printing lens for a Rodenstock 75mm Apo Rodagon D 1:1 copy lens. This is a popular lens with coin photographers and very useful for toned coins since it is apochromatic. I can offer the Rodenstock option for an extra $100.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have built a second system, and incorporated suggestions from the first purchaser. The second system includes a photo black surface on the stage, such that the background "disappears", eliminating the need for circle cropping. Otherwise, the new system looks identical to what's shown below. One thing I learned from the first was that I need to ship the system in two boxes: one box for the base and the bellows; and a second box for the column and lights. Shipping is typically ~$40 for the two boxes.

Let me know any questions about the system by PM...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just finished a brand new coin photo system. The new system is similar to a copy stand, and indeed can be used as one, but also integrates an ARCA plate to allow a bellows to be easily moved up and down for framing. It includes a fine focusing stage for critical focusing and manual focus stacking. A pair of Jansjo LED lamps are integrated onto the stand.

The system is larger than my other systems, and as a result can frame larger coins, medals, and full slabs.

See the stand and its features at:

http://www.macrocoins.com/example-system-9.html

I can offer the stand in several configurations:
    - Full system with bellows, camera and lens:$750
    - Bellows system, with lens to frame up to full slabs:$600
    - Copy Stand, without bellows, camera, or lens: $400

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that I can add automated focus stacking capability to this system (or any system) fairly easily. I have evaluated some new Z-stage hardware that has sufficient range for coins, and is much, much cheaper than traditional stepper-based stages. PM me if you are interested in high resolution / high magnification / 3D imaging.

Another Edit: This first system has been put to good use by a CT forum member. He wrote up a brief review that you can see here:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/new-copy-stand-for-photos.332676/

Here is a pic of the full system:

DSC_2815A.JPG

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019