New Copy Stand for Photos

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dave M, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I've been shooting coin photos off my tripod for a couple years, but recently picked up a new toy, a copy stand from Ray (rmpsrpms here on CT). It's going to be quite the setup I think, though I've only shot half a dozen coins on it at this point. He provided everything but the camera in this case, including the stand, camera adapter, bellows, lens, rail system, micrometer-adjustable base stand and lights. The $700 cost probably isn't for everyone, but for me it was worth it as I was pricing and figuring out how to build this kind of setup anyway.

CopyStandSetup.jpg

A huge advantage for me is being able to set this right on the desk next to me, instead of the bulky tripod setup I had. And the little focusing stand is really fantastic, I recommend that highly. Here's a 100% crop of a section about 2mm square.

IMG_0002-crop.jpg

Dave

... oops sorry about all these attached files. They're not different, just me not being able to attach things correctly :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Excellent!

Chris

4. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Very nice set-up.

6. robec

robec Junior Member

Nice compact setup and so easy to work with.

7. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Yes, I think that's going to be a big factor in getting me to shoot coins as they come in. Drop it on, focus, shoot - a much easier process than what I had before. And I just did the math on the focusing stand, and unless I've got it wrong, this will adjust to 1 micron!

8. robec

robec Junior Member

Your biggest obstacle will be making sure there is enough room for the lights.

9. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

The lights are already there, tiny Jansjo lights with high tech white diffusing paper wrapped around them, and the lens won't be getting much closer to the coins than in that photo. So I don't expect a problem, unless I'm missing something?

Brina likes this.
  10. robec

robec Junior Member

I know the lights are small........I have them also, but even with light heads as small as they are there are times when there isn't enough space between the lens and coin for the light to cover the coin evenly.

11. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

True that. I have gnip gnop balls covering mine and it is a pain at certain distances.

12. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

Gotcha, thanks

13. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

Fantastic setup!

14. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

Nice setup Dave. Like you, I recently purchased a setup from Ray minus the camera which I bought separately. Dave's systems are high quality and certainly worth the price.

Joe

Dave M likes this.
  15. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Love the set up! Wish my desk was that clean! :)

16. TheMiz

TheMiz Member

How do I get in touch with Ray to discuss purchasing one?

17. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

He's got a web site at http://www.macrocoins.com

18. Bud1 Wilson

Bud1 Wilson Well-Known Member

Real nice.

19. TheMiz

TheMiz Member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into having him build one for me.

Dave M likes this.
  20. TheMiz

TheMiz Member

Thanks for the info. Going to get in touch with him and have him build one for me.

21. robec

robec Junior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted