New Claudius As

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jb_depew, Mar 18, 2018.

1. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

After watching I, Claudius again the other week, I decided to buy this as, which I'd had been watching for a while on eBay. Typically I avoid eBay for "larger" purchases, but this one came through Agora auctions originally and I felt fairly confident. I'm in the early stages of building a 12 Caesars set, with an emphasis on portrait quality. The reverse alludes to the Rome's collective liberty from Caligula's madness (I think).
    [​IMG]
    42-43 AD
    Rome mint
    Obverse: TI CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG P M TR P IMP P P; Bare head left
    Reverse: LIBERTAS AVGVSTA S-C; Libertas standing facing with pileus, extending left hand.
    References: RIC I 113, Cohen 47, BMC 202, von Kaenel Type 77
    Size: 28mm
    Weight: 11.1g

Nyatii, Yozz1, Jay GT4 and 37 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Justin Lee likes this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great coin, love the photo as well. Is that your's or the seller's?

Justin Lee likes this.
  5. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

That portrait is very expressive. But my favorite parts are the drapery folds of Libertas on the reverse. On Libertas:

“It is interesting that from Galba onwards LIBERTAS PUBLICA becomes a very common legend on imperial coins. Libertas publica means freedom as it is enjoyed by the public, that is to say absence of oppression and lawlessness; it signifies a state of affairs, not a form of government. Under the Empire it meant order, security, and confidence. It was in fact tantamount to securitas.” (p. 159 Libertas as a Political Idea at Rome During the Late Republic and Early Principate, by C. H. Wirszubski).

A thread on Libertas:https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-new-to-me-view-of-libertas.304616/#post-2883556

A thread on your coin type: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/new-claudius-as-with-libertas-reverse-show-yours.295060/

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's a real beauty!

jb_depew likes this.
  7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Great piece

jb_depew likes this.
  8. alde

alde Always Learning

Thats a stunning coin. I love the shear, see through look of Libritas robes.

jb_depew likes this.
  9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

What a wonderful portrait! Congrats on picking up such a nice coin.

jb_depew likes this.
  10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Wonderful coin! Congrats.

022.JPG

11. jb_depew

Very nice!

randygeki likes this.
  12. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

Agree with all the drapery love. What I especially like about it is that so much of our knowledge of ancient art comes from sculpture, and even the painting and engraving we have is often sculptural. Amazing to see the artist using a different medium to different ends.

TJC and jb_depew like this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congrats @jb_depew ! GORGEOUS example and a nice strategy you are taking for the Setonius Twelve! Nice start.

I have a more pedestrian version...

RI Claudius 41-54 Ae As 28mm LIBERTAS AVGVSTA S-C RIC 100.jpg
    RI Claudius 41-54 Ae As 28mm LIBERTAS AVGVSTA S-C RIC 100

dlhill132, Andres2, TJC and 8 others like this.
  14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great As there! Still need a Claudius...

Nerva likes this.
  15. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

lovely coin..

16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Great coin, I really like the portrait style which (to my eye) is somewhat unusual, in a very pleasing way. Also agree about all the comments above on the drapery. Here's my best drapery on a Claudius:
    Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 8.27.40 AM.jpg

dlhill132, Andres2, TJC and 7 others like this.
  17. Ivo

Ivo Member

The Claudius portraits are really nice and very charistic . Thank you all for showing.

randygeki and jb_depew like this.
  18. Pierre R. Monney

Pierre R. Monney New Member

One of the best portraits of Claudius I have ever seen.. Congratulations.

jb_depew likes this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This thread reminds me of days of old. The coin Sear found to be fake had been sold as genuine by Heritage Europe and Auctiones GmbH. It is always good to watch even expert sellers when it comes to popular, high dollar coins.

20. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Doug seems to be advising us to be cautious when it comes to Claudius. Fair enough. Given the range of portrait styles and the prevalence of unofficial mint issues, Claudius is particularly tough to authenticate. Is there something specific that concerns you about the OP coin, @dougsmit?

I think it merits further investigation. Upon closer examination there may be some indications of casting (?), e.g letter edges, hair detail at the top. Also, how confident are you, @jb_depew, that it did indeed come from Agora? I was unable to find it when searching their auction archive.

21. jb_depew

I always appreciate candid feedback, both good and bad. The coin sold in Agora Holding History Coins Auction 7, lot 172, April 21, 2016. My only reservation prior to purchasing it is that the portrait style seems to be a little different than other examples I'd seen, but realized that this can vary and that perhaps a die match would come out of the woodwork and set my mind at ease. If anyone has specific concerns about authenticity I'd love to hear them.

Draft saved Draft deleted