New ASE error or NGC marketing ploy?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by galapac, Apr 9, 2015.

1. galapac

galapac Seeking Knowledge

There is an interesting article on the COINWeek website that discusses a supposed new error in the 2015 ASE.
    http://www.coinweek.com/education/coin-grading/ngc/rare-mint-error-found-on-a-2015-silver-eagle/

I guess a handful of Silver Eagles are showing up with a "curved clip" along the 11 o'clock on the obverse.

But...the article also states...
    NGC attributes major mint errors for an additional fee of $15. To submit a mint error for attribution by NGC, select an applicable NGC grading tier along with “Mint Error” under Services on the coin line.

This just makes me wonder if NGC is trying to create a market for these for what is essentially a ding on the ASE coming from the mint.

dwhiz likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I think it's interesting but I do not consider it interesting enough to add it to my collection. Neat little article they wrote and was appropriate for them to mention the fee associated with grading an error. I didn't take the article as an attempt to create a market for this error just that they were sharing a find. Think how many ASEs that go through their doors.

silverbullion and green18 like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's good that COINWeek mentioned the attribution fee. You won't believe how many times people submit coins without checking off the box. If you snooze, you lose!

Chris

silverbullion and dwhiz like this.
  5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

NOBODY should whinge over $15 to get a rarity properly attributed and slabbed, when the upside potential is Big Bucks...

P.S., if you run your vacuum cleaner over an Eagle to produce the error, make sure it's at 11 o'clock.

It's just an ugly rumor that Home Shopping Network will soon offer 12-coin "clock-face" sets with clips at noon, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11 o'clock.

COINcidence? Amazon just shipped three cargo containers of vacuum cleaners to China, but no bags. :woot:

Oh, wait, they're already made there. Never mind.............

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    silverbullion, green18 and dwhiz like this.
  6. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

That needs a special label & holder (slab)...lets see silver foil label ,oversize holder...may be retro style with lots of stickers. I'm sure someone will pay big bucks for it

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Wow I would like one of those clocks only if it come in a special wooden box LOL

8. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

With special cello wrapping for the toning enthusiasts.

dwhiz likes this.
  9. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

I'd probably get one if it came in a polyvinyl flip with a couple of "hello kitty" stickers on it, flip or coin, doesn't matter.

dwhiz likes this.
  10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

None of mine have the clip.......not a 'must have' for this collector but a kool find for some.

11. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

IMO, some people are very interested in getting their coins attributed and NGC is offering the service, so that's a good thing. For me, I don't really care about attributions for bullion, so I wouldn't pay a premium for either grading or owning the piece.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I just shake my head. Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy, but its a bullion coin with a tiny bit of metal missing. Its not like its a proof coin with a major error or something. Honestly, if I got this in a monster box my first thought would be "am I missing any silver from this ding?".

green18 and galapac like this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I really don't think it would matter. If you listed it on eBay, I'm sure the price it would bring would more than make up for the shortage.

Chris

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

HMMMMMM........(evil thoughts)

[jumps in truck and heads to Home Depot for an Husky curved/flat file set]

Galen59 likes this.
  15. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Wonder how many that returned them to the mint with complants of mint damage are wishing they had them back.

16. silverbullion

silverbullion Active Member

lol On account of the vacuum cleaner. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted