Need help with this Trajan from Antioch

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by archicard, Sep 28, 2019.

1. archicard

archicard Member

I am trying to attribute this Trajan from Antioch but I cannot find a listing for what I believe to be "AI" below the SC. Unfortunately the countermark on the obverse flattened out the area where the "I" is. The McAlee book would be helpful but this is only our second coin from Antioch so it may be premature to buy it just yet.

Thanks for any help.
    trajan obv.jpg trajan rev.jpg

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

archicard, McAlee does list a bronze on page 208 with a AI on the reverse without a counterstamp, 488(k), 8.35 gm, that might be your coin. Pictured below is a Trajan bronze I sold long ago with a BI on the reverse, McAlee 487(m), 18.4 gm, 26 mm. Your type is listed as V.Rare.

Antioch-Trajan, 26 mm, 18.4 gm, MA487m.jpg

Bing likes this.
  5. archicard

archicard Member

Thanks Mike, I like the countermark too. I did see the links that you posted and agree with you that it looks very similar to the laurel with four leaves mark.

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  6. archicard

archicard Member

Well I guess the very rare explains why I was having trouble figuring this one out. Thanks Al for looking this up and helping me get this one figured out.

7. Macromius

Macromius Well-Known Member

@archicard Here's mine which looks very similar to yours. I think they warrant some close comparison. I've always wondered about the reverse and the inside of the bottom of the S. Yours is almost identical. Mine has what could be a countermark on Trajans's neck but has no details. It weighs a whopping 18.8 grams. I've always wondered about this coin and found it a little suspect. Thanks much for posting!

IMGP5787.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Bing and Marsyas Mike like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted