My Top Coins of 2016

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Ok, this is a new type of thread which I do not recall we had 'back-then' in C.T.

Let me try my hand at this.

I only actively re-started pursuing Roman coins again back in August/September or so, so I do not have that many to show, but these are all special to me:

Coin # 1:
    Vespasian,
    69 - 79 n. Chr. Sestertius. Same obverse and reverse dies as BMCRE 581. R.I.C 127 variant.
    Obv.: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG P M T P (P P COS III), bust of Vespasian with wreath facing right.
    Rev.: AVGUSTI VICTORIA / S - C, Victoria, foot on helm, inscribing on shield affixed to a palm tree OB / CIV / SER.

From my previous post about this coin:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/i-...forum-and-from-ancients-coins-as-well.285163/

You will recognize this coin as part of Vespasian's Judaea Capta series celebrating Roman victories in the Jewish War. It uses a reverse type first introduced by Vitellius showing Victoria inscribing a shield affixed to a palm tree.
    As mentioned, this is a variant of RIC 127, with the exception that the reverse legend
    reads AVGVSTI VICTORIA instead of the usual VICTORIA AVGVSTI. As such, it appears to be an extremely rare variant of a very scarce type, of which apparently only one other example is known, namely BMCRE 581 in the British Museum Collection.

IMG_5020_opt.jpg IMG_5016_opt.jpg

Coin # 2:
    Next one I found which I really liked was this DISCIPLINA sestertius of Hadrian:

Hadrian. AD 117-138. Æ Sestertius. Rome mint. Struck circa AD 134-138.
    Obv: Laureate, draped bust right
    Rev: DISCIPLIN AVG in emerge, Hadrian, holding roll, advancing right, followed by officer and three soldiers carrying standards.
    RIC 746; C. 542,
    24,67 g

Some remarks about this coin- type:
    The discussion in RIC notes that this reverse type "celebrates the military reforms of the Emperor" without defining what specific event triggered the commemoration on this sestertius. It is most likely related to the conclusion of the last great military campaign of Hadrian's reign, the Bar Kochba revolt in Judaea (AD 132-135). As an internal revolt, not an operation against foreign foes, the war did not warrant a coinage commemorating its end, but this coin would indirectly mark its conclusion, praising the legions for their steadfastness while stressing the reordering of the armies for peacetime and the standing down from a war footing'.

IMG_6062_opt.jpg IMG_6066_opt.jpg

Coin # 3:
    The next coin which I was very glad to obtain was this sestertius of Lucius Verus. This was specially important to me as it was part of the Lückger collection. He was a noted collector and historian from Köln whose collection was formed starting in the 1890's.

Mr. Lückger participated in and documented some extremely interesting archeological finds in his home city, including some remarkable coin hoards.

Lucius Verus, Sestertius, Rome, 163-164.
    Obv: Verus, wreathed bust r.
    Rev: Mars standing with shield and spear, S-C.
    S. 226. RIC 1385, 24,91 g.

IMG_5966 (1)_opt.jpg IMG_6267 (1)_opt.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Here more of my top additions for 2016:

Vespasian sestertius -Roma. Not a scarce coin but one which appealed to me because of the portrait of the emperor. Besides, I always wanted one of these.

Coin # 4:
    Vespasian
    , AD 69-79. AE Sestertius,Rome, AD 71.
    Obv: Laureate head of Vespasian right.
    Reverse: Roma standing left, holding Victory and spear. RIC 214; BMC 564; Cohen 418.

IMG_6035_opt.jpg IMG_6040_opt.jpg

Last of the ancients for 2016, this Nero denarius.
    Another type which I always wanted and the opportunity presented itself at a very good price.

Coin # 5:
    NERO
    (54-68). Denarius. Rome.
    Nero as Sol standing facing, holding branch and crowning Victory on globe.
    RIC² 47.
    Obv: NERO CAESAR. Laureate head right.
    Rev: AVGVSTVS GERMANICVS.

IMG_6048_opt.jpg IMG_6055_opt.jpg

4. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

And last but not least, for those of us who besides a love of ancients, also cultivate a liking for 'world coins', these two coins from Spanish and Latin America:

This first one is a 1 real coin from the Spanish colonial mint at Guatemala. Struck in the reign of Carlos III, dated 1762. A somewhat crudely struck coin of the 'Dos-Mundos' type. These are quite scarce, much more so than the 8 reales of the type. Most are found holed for suspension. This one is not. A coin I consider myself lucky to have finally found.

Guatemala 1 Rel 1762 - Carlos III - 1.jpg

Lastly, a one peso coin dated 1817 from the newly independent nation of Chile, minted in the very first year after independence from Spain.
    The 1817 Volcano Peso is found with the FJ assayer mark, also without an assayer's mark, and with the FD assayer mark.
    Assayer FJ is common, while assayer FD and the no-assayer variety are both very rare. Another coin for my Latin America collection I was lucky to find this year.

Chile 1 Peso 1817 - assayer FD. - 1.jpg

5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Gee, Eduard, you really made each of those count... #1-3 are seriously envy-inducing! Congrats and welcome back.

6. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Really noteworthy set of sestertius!

I really like the Lucius Verus.

John

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes:

Great coins and great coin photos ... thanks for posting this year's sweet additions

8. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Awesome coins! The Vespasian's are wonderful indeed!

9. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm hard pressed to select just one that I like best. Everyone of these are fantastic, and I envy you having them in your collection (and not mine).

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

We've done top 10s here for a few years now. Just more prevalent since there is more posters now.

Great coins though, love all the bronzes especially. Nice pillar coin too, still don't have a pillar coin of that design of any sort.

11. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

I was intrigued about the open doors, ajar, of the temple.

Attached Files:

Alegandron and Mikey Zee like this.
  12. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

great pics of great coins , Eduard. I like the beautifull patina on the Vespa and the Lucius Verus. And wouldn't mind to add the Chili vulcan into my collection.

13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

#3 is my favorite of the bunch. Very nice start or restart(?)!

The volcano peso is cool too.

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

man....dat roman AE! :hungry: HOT!

15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Awesome! I particularly like the Vespasian sestertii and the sestertius of Lucius Verus!

16. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Outstanding collection, congrats my favorite is the Lucius Verus.

17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree with Z about coins 1, 2, and 3. Wow!!

18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

@Eduard , I REALLY enjoy your bronzes. You collect a quality that really brings the coins to LIFE. I enjoy your postings. Thanks!

19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Smokin coins man!

20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you everybody for your comments!

Like I said, I haven't bought much this year, but I try to make every new coin count:)

21. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Since I'm a 'big fan' of the big bronzes, I can't help but LOVE yours---especially the first three!! A wonderful group of coins!!!

I have an on-going bid on a Nero denarius (a 2017 coin if successful)....and this time it's genuine LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted