I have been gone too long from this Forum and from Ancients coins as well...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Yes, it has been at least a couple of years (or more) since I last posted here. A waning interest in ancients coupled with persistent health issues, the starting of a new business as an independent consultant, as well as a few other issues kept me away.

I am happy to say that my interest in roman coinage has returned. I went to my local coin show here in the Rhine area a couple of weeks ago. I went there with the usual intention of finding Napoleonic Era german, or older U.S coins. This show is only held twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. It is one of the few significant shows around here, so I always make it a point not to miss it.
    Well, there was not much in my specific areas which caught my eye, at least nothing which I had to have, but I did meet up with an old dealer acquaintance who specializes in ancients coins and whom I had not seen for a few years. The gentleman insistently called me over to his table and said he had something to show me that he thought I may want to have. I used to buy from him over the years, primarily 1st century roman bronzes, and he kept this in mind as he showed me a few coins.

He had, among others a beautiful sestertius of Titus and a Nero dupondius with Roma seated. Both with beautiful green patina. Nice but expensive! I thought that was it then,
    as I was not about to spend large amounts in roman coinage at that point. However he then pointed my attention to a tray containing a series of more moderately priced bronzes , among which this a sestertius of Vespasian.
    The obverse is worn, but one look at the reverse and I decided I had to have it.

So here is the one coin which revived my interest in ancients coins:

IMG_5020_opt.jpg IMG_5016_opt.jpg

My dealer friend mentioned that we was not sure of the attribution, but did say the reverse was a rare variety.
    Because of this and been quite rusty myself with regard to attribution, I posted the coin in another Forum where a member very kindly corrected the wrong attribution and provided very interesting further information.

This is the correct attribution:

Vespasian, 69 - 79 n. Chr. Sestertius. Same obverse and reverse dies as BMCRE 581. R.I.C 127 variant.
    Obv.: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG P M T P (P P COS III), bust of Vespasian with wreath facing right.
    Rev.: AVGUSTI VICTORIA / S - C, Victoria, foot on helm, inscribing on shield affixed to a palm tree OB / CIV / SER.

You experts guys will recognize this coin as part of Vespasian's Judaea Capta series celebrating Roman victories in the Jewish War. It uses a reverse type first introduced by Vitellius showing Victoria inscribing a shield affixed to a palm tree.
    As mentioned, this is a variant of RIC 127, with the exception that the reverse legend reads AVGVSTI VICTORIA instead of the usual VICTORIA AVGVSTI. As such, it appears to be a rare variant of which only one other example is known, namely BMCRE 581 in the British Museum Collection.

So I guess I am back into ancients and roman, and I must say, it is nice to be back.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Welcome back, Eduard! You were missed :)

Nice coin!

Eduard, stevex6 and spirityoda like this.
  4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice to see you again, Eduard. That's a beautiful coin!

Eduard likes this.
  5. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thanks for returning and sharing your story, Eduard! Often when we return to a hobby after setting it aside for a while, our enthusiasm for it is greater than before.

Eduard likes this.
  6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Atta-boy, Eduard => it is great to see you tossing your ancient-hat back into the coin-ring!!

Congrats on scoring that great coin!!

:rolleyes:

Ummm, because I am who I am, I'm gonna post one of my similar AE examples (hopefully that's okay?)

Hey, I admit that my example is not quite as sharp as your great OP-example, but hopefully our two coins can hang-out together?

Ae Sestertius
    Lucius Verus & Victory with Shield
    164 AD

lucius verus.jpg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  7. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Welcome back to collecting. I guess once you start its just in you no matter how long of a break you take.

Eduard likes this.
  8. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

That is a great coin.

Eduard likes this.
  9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Ditto !
    Q

PS : @Greg Heinrich should read the OP !! :)

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I have still seen you post on the U.S. forum and other areas. But good to see you post a new roman coin. It's also a great addition. Nice portrait and my favorite reverse types for Victory.

Eduard likes this.
  11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Hello Eduard, good to see you again! And what a way to jump back into ancients. That's a magnificent sestertius! :wideyed:

Eduard likes this.
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Welcome back. Very glad to see you contributing again. I have read many of your prior posts as I was going through earlier threads.

I have an AE Vespasian that I really like, and can see your interest in ancients being rekindled with your capture!

RI Vespasian 69-79 CE AE Dupondius Felicitas stdg caduceus cornucopia Obv-Rev.jpg
    Roman Empire
    Vespasian, AD 69-79
    Æ Dupondius, 12.2g, 27mm, 6h; Rome mint, AD 73.
    Obv.: IMP CAES VESP AVG PM TP COS IIII CENS; Radiate head left.
    Rev.: Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and cornucopia, S - C
    Reference: RIC II 539(b), p. 78
    Got this from @John Anthony

13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you, guys for the warm welcome (back). Much appreciated, really.

Funny how one's interests change over time. Personal 'real-life' issues have a way of changing the paths of our lives. What is important one day, seems trivial the next.
    I never really left numismatics, just had (much) less time to spend on coins while taking care of other, critical issues. Many of us have been there.

Anyhow, this coin I really like. I have spent some time learning more about the Judaea Capta series. From what I have learnt, Vespasian's Sestertii related to the Jewish war use something like 4 different reverses: Victoria with and without a mourning figure of Judaea, Vespasian standing behind mourning Judaea, Captive soldier standing with figure mourning, etc. This one is apparently one of the scarce ones so that was nice bonus.

Please go ahead and post any (Judaea Capta) coins you may have. And Steve, of course you are welcome to post anything you want!

Thank you all, again.

14. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

Nice to meet you @Eduard! That coin has a beautiful reverse, I can see why you could not resist it.

Eduard likes this.
  15. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Welcome back and I'm glad to meet another of the 'original crew':)

That's a wonderful example!! The toning, centering and scarcity not to mention the historical context, make it one I would LOVE to own!!

Great coin as well Brian !! But I'm always a sucker for bronzes with tons of eye-appeal!!:D

I'm sure @vespasian70 will have a few interesting comments too!;)

Deacon Ray, Eduard and Alegandron like this.
  16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

welcome back @Eduard !

great color on that new coin!

Eduard likes this.
  17. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

@Eduard that is an absolutely fantastic coin! The variety of Judaea Capta types issued by Vespasian and Titus is staggering. Here is one of my favorites.
    VespVicAVG.jpg

Vespasian / Victory Orichalcum Sestertius
    Vespasian, 69-79. Sestertius (Orichalcum, 34mm, 23.49 g 6), Rome, 71.
    O: IMP CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M TR P P P COS III Laureate head of Vespasian to right.
    R: VICTORIA AVGVSTI, S C in ex, Victory standing right, left foot set on helmet, writing on shield; in right field, mourning Judea seated beneath palm tree.
    - BMC 582. BN 560. Cohen 625. RIC 468. Ex Oblos webauction 3 11/15 lot 292, Astarte S.A. XIX '06 Lot 956, UBS Gold & Numismatics '06 Auction 64 lot 173, Auction Numismatica Genevensis 1, Geneva, 27 November 2000, lot 147.

I also have the only Domitian Judaea Capta Sestertius known to exist, although some might say I'm cheating with this one.

DomIVDCAP I.jpg

Domitian as Caesar / Titus Judaea Capta Æ Sestertius Mule, 25.38 g. Rome mint, struck 80/81

O: [CAES DIVI] AVG VESP F DOMITIAN[VS COS VII] - RIC II 288-306 (Titus)
    R: IVD CAP across fields; SC in field below; mourning Jewess to left of palm on pile of arms; Jew on right with hands bound, arms on ground. - Titus RIC 153 (Perhaps a die match); Hendin 1593b; Upcoming addenda Titus 287A.

The only known sestertius mule under Titus. From the patina it was likely found in eastern Europe, perhaps Bulgaria, a rich find spot for a lot of the judaea sestertii.

What evidence points to RIC II 288-306?

As noted by Curtis Clay, "Obverse legends beginning CAESAR are rare, and so far only known with portrait laur. left, according to RIC 275-7. Legends beginning CAES are very much more common.

With the N of DOMITIAN placed before Domitian's mouth, too much space seems to remain for just COS VII. We almost need that added VS to fill out the space.

Flavian mules in gold or silver occur with some regularity, though they are all rare individually.

It's not surprising, however, that very few sestertius mules occurred.

1. Vespasian struck c. 90% of the sestertii of his reign in the single year 71. Mules were impossible, because he hadn't yet begun striking sestertii for Titus and Domitian!

2. Later, when sestertii were being struck for Titus and Domitian too, the rev. types were not usually personalized, for example by carrying on the imperial titulature of each emperor, but were general and could be shared among the emperors, for example S C Spes advancing, or PAX AVGVSTI S C. Virtually all of the rev. types were appropriate for all three emperors, so there could be no mules!

Under Titus the possibilities for mules increased, since more types were introduced that were apparently meant for just one of the two imperial brothers, for example:

Titus: the Judaea Capta types, ANNONA AVG without S C, FELICIT PVBLIC, PIETAS AVGVST (Titus and Dom. shaking hands), PROVIDENT AVGVST (Vesp. hands globe to Titus), S C (Roma hands Palladium to Titus on horseback)

Domitian: S C (Minerva fighting right)."

18. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Congrats Eduard, beautifull rare coin , eye appeal is top.

Recently bought this Vespa dupondius , condition is terrible , but I like the colourfull patina, at $30 I'm happy with it.
    [​IMG]

19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

ancientcoinguru, it is nice to meet you, too.

Mikey Zee, than you very much for your kind comments.
    While I was obviously aware in general terms of the historical context and background of the Judaea Capta coinage, I confess it was primarily the tan-on-green patina which captured my attention at first.... Only later, while reading and learning, did I better recognize the historical significance of this coinage.

Nemo, congratulations on your two examples, and thank you very much for the detailed explanations. This is very useful.
    The RIC 468 is very nicely detailed and has a nice patina. It is a lovely coin; and, of course, your Domitianus as caesar/Titus Judaea Capta mule speaks for itself. The only know example!! lucky guy!
    I was not aware that Judaea Capta coins had been issued in the name of Domitianus...but its existence does makes sense.

In my first post I mentioned BMCRE 581. My coin was apparently struck with the same dies as the B.M example.
    Here is the B.M example. Beautiful coin.

AN00637722_001_l.jpg

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

@Eduard, a coin you posted three years ago sent me searching for the same. I think I acquired it in your absence. Since you obviously like the type, I'm posting it again here :)

[​IMG]
    CELTIC, Central Europe (Rhineland). "Dancing Mannikin" type
    65 BCE - CE 1

AR Quinarius, 13 mm, 1.62 gm
    Obv: dancing mannikin right, head turned left, holding snake in right hand, torque in left hand.
    Rev: horse standing right, head turned left; around, zig zag border.
    Ref: SLM 1118. Dembski 73, 396. (I'll have to take the seller's word on that for now. If any of you have a Celtic reference and find this inaccurate, please let me know.)

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/snakebit-celtic-quinarius-little-dancing-man.256052/

Draft saved Draft deleted