My Top 10 Purchases of 2014

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AncientJoe, Dec 29, 2014.

1. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

I've had a surprisingly productive numismatic year, acquiring many of my overall favorite coins and launching my website, Colosseo Collection. I started the year with only a single coin firmly in my sights but happily managed to cross several items off of my wantlist.

These are not my top 10 coins overall but all of them are in the top 20. It's difficult to rank them sequentially but I've taken a crack at it (from worst to best) and linked each of their underlying threads. Let me know if you'd rank them differently!

#10: Lokris Opuntii Stater - I acquired this early in the year, at a fairly sizable premium to what I originally thought it would sell for, but I knew that if I let it go, I'd regret it as I haven't found another I liked as much.

[​IMG]

#9: Daric - One of my latest purchases, and the first example of a daric that I've been very attracted to.

[​IMG]

#8: Sikyon Stater - I'd still like this coin if it were untoned but it really adds a lot in my eyes, and thankfully, it is stable, based on old auction photos.

[​IMG]

#7: Philip II Tetradrachm - I'm very glad I decided to bid on this and didn't win another example which was being sold around the same time, as I nearly passed it up due to somewhat mundane looking images.

[​IMG]

#6: Aegina Stater - My first purchase of the year and a coin whose relief still amazes me at its utter lack of practicality.

[​IMG]

#5: Alexander the Great Stater - An unexpected purchase from a fixed price list which occurred thanks to my fast response while stepping off of a flight and beating three others to the punch by a matter of seconds.

[​IMG]

#4: Port of Ostia Sestertius - One of the most famous sestertii, and a pleasantly unexpected acquisition early in the year.

[​IMG]

#3: Zeus Lampsakos Stater - After trying and failing numerous times, I am extremely pleased to have finally acquired this coin!

[​IMG]

#2: Vespasian Boscoreale Aureus - One of the most vibrantly toned gold coins I've ever seen and my best deal of the year, acquiring it privately at a small fraction of the price I'd expect it to sell for at auction. Tracking back the pedigree through a number of major sales definitely doesn't hurt either!

[​IMG]

#1: Brutus "Ides of March" Denarius - While there are rarer ancient coins, none have spoken to and enchanted me as much as this type. It was my most expensive coin by a fair margin but I would pay the price again in a heartbeat.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I own ZERO ancients (once bought a few uncleaned ones on ebay, have since lost them), but seeing these gets me VERY interested

4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It's hard to rank favorites in such a lofty group. Any single coin among those ten would be #1 by a large margin if placed in 99.9% of ancient coin collections.

Fantastic year, AJ! Thanks for sharing :)

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My thoughts almost exactly echo TIF's, but if I had a genie and one wish, it would be for that stunning Boscoreale aureus.

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

#6, #8 and #9 are my favourites (obviously, an amazing year for our hero)

=> #8 winning by a tail!!

number 8.jpg

... the coin makes me all squishy!!

Ummm, I have a weak example of this type ... but it is still definitely one of "my" personal collection-favourites (yup, you certainly take the cake for cool 2014 coins, my friend!!)

chimaera 1.jpg

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

all would be pretty much a top lifetime coin for me...but my favorite of the bunch is that boscoreale!!

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

2, 10, 4 are my favorites. As on my list of ten, I'll bet you will be surprised at the variety of opinions we have.

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

All are awesome. If I ranked them, I feel like it would almost be in reverse order though :D

10. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

All beautiful coins AJ. For me, it's a toss up between the Port of Ostia Sestertius and the Zeus Lampaskos Stater for my favorite of the bunch.

Of course I'd be happy to have any of those coins in my collection.

11. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

They're all so good AJ, excellent stuff!
    #9 and #5 are my favorite, preciousss... hrum sorry. :D

12. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

All are great coins but I like #4 Port of Ostia the best for Romans. #10 for Greek coins.

13. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

I am in love with #2. Toning gold, that's only something AncientJoe can come up with. I will gladly take one of each. I do love #5 and I will own one before I die.

14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Saying you had a good year is a bit of an understatement, AJ. Congratulations! I would also add that your website is very nice - for someone who wants to peruse your collection, it's convenient to have all your images and essays in the same location.

15. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Those are enough to make anyone want to collect ancients. I have a couple of Bible coins a denarius and a pair of widow mites but these take the cake. Super examples with eye appeal and beauty.

16. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

If you want coins like that, be prepared to spend massive amounts of cash.

17. Okidoki

Okidoki Well-Known Member

hello AJ,

thank you on you post, i was wondering, if you get in this price range.
    any older selling documents?
    i think i ts called Provenance documents

best regards,

eric

18. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Really? Top 10? I'm sure it could be a top 50. :D I haven't seen one coin from AJ that I don't like.

19. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

These are all stunning, world-class coins but I'll admit to being partial to The Port of Ostia (#4) and the Daric (#9).

20. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I am surprised #5 hasn't been more popular. To me, that is a stunning coin! I know nothing of any of these, but that would be my pick if you offered me one, hehe

21. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I agree, but with so many stellar coins how can you make an absolute ranking? I can't even rank my favorite among the four gold coins other than to say the Daric is second place with the other three in first place. My overall favorite is the Eid Mar because, well, it's an Eid Mar... in-your-face history, demand>>>supply.

His Sikyon and Aegina staters are so marvelous that it will be difficult to settle for a lesser example. At least we can vicariously enjoy his coins through the great photography and wonderful website.

Mikey Zee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted