My (revised) argument for the best way to invest in bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Jason.A, Aug 18, 2017.

1. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

^ Do you think it might have anything to do with sales volume? A Big Mac is cheaper than a Lobster Roll, after all.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Congratulations on your purchase!

Wait. Was your 1/10 gold Maple opened? Not in the mint sleeve? Your post and description make it seem like it was.
    Bummer.

Also, it is no where close to as thin as a piece of paper. It's 1.22 mm thick. A piece of paper is .002-.006 mm. In other words, as thick as 20-60 pieces of paper.

If it was open and is really that thin, I'd do some comparisons with known examples to make sure you didn't get ripped off.

4. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

It's an expression... It's not LITERALLY as thin as a piece of paper...Most gold counterfeits are bigger than the coin trying to be knocked off, if they wern't a scale would be all you need to figure out they're fake.

5. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

Go jump off a cliff.

It's just an expression. I don't want you to literally jump off a cliff...

6. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

My 1/10 oz Maple arrived in a sealed plastic sleeve. I purchased the Maple from the same reputable online vendor from whom I acquired silver many times. Jokingly, I have exaggerated the thickness of the coin. Sorry for the fuss. I am used to buying 41 mm ASEs, so my initial reaction when I opened the package was a little disappointing. But, as I mentioned, I purchased the 1/10 oz Maple as an investment, not for my collection.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the densities of silver and gold. The density of gold (19.30 grams per cubic centimeters) is almost twice that of silver (10.49 grams per cubic centimeters). Both metals are very dense considering the density of iron is 7.87 g/cc. Some other metal densities:

Copper 8.96 g/cc
    Palladium 12.02 g/cc
    Platinum 21.45 g/cc
    Rhodium 12.41 g/cc
    Tungsten 19.25 g/cc
    Lithium 0.534 g/cc (the lightest metal on the periodic table)
    Osmium 22.59 g/cc (the densest metal on the periodic table)

Looking at the density of tungsten, it is very easy to understand why tungsten is used to produce counterfeit gold bars.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  7. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with calling it a collection piece, as well as an investment piece. (IMO.) Especially if you start pursuing other 1/10 oz. Pieces from other countries. Watch for sales on them.

8. PeacePeople

PeacePeople Wall St and stocks, where it's at

Many feel that "disappointment" when they get that tiny piece and think "what the heck did I do that for". If you turn that around and figure out that tiny piece of gold has the purchasing power of 7 of those silver eagles, you might see it in a new light.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  9. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

That is very true.

I am sure many of us experienced the same shock when we bought our first 1 oz gold piece and realized how much smaller it is than a 1 oz silver piece.

10. Don P

Don P Active Member

Why don't you just buy a silver or gold ETF? You're not paying anything over spot and have no worries when trying to sell. Is it just because you like the physical silver in your hand?

4to2centBC likes this.
  11. Don P

Don P Active Member

What and where are you going to purchase with your piece of gold?

Last time I was at Walmart, I don't remember them taking shaving of gold? :)

12. PeacePeople

Wow...I'm not sure if you're trying to be humorous or are being obtuse...and of course you go to Walmart.

13. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

From what I gathered from this forum is that everyone has their own reason for buying silver and gold bullion - some for collecting, some for investing, or both. For me, it's an enjoyable way to set money aside. Buying bullion is a new and exciting venture for me. I am beginning to learn the ins and outs at this forum, and I am fortunate to have members who generously spend their time in helping me.

With the few extra nickels and dimes I have, I could buy a six-pack of imported Belgian beer to go along with a nice Cohiba or I could buy some silver and gold. (Believe me, making this decision can be difficult.) In the end, the Cohiba will go up in smoke and the beer will go to my belly, but I will always have my bullion.

14. Don P

Don P Active Member

You stated that you had 7 times the purchasing power of silver with your gold. Please tell me how and where you're going to purchase goods with gold? Just trying to understand your logic.

15. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Another reason to buy gold... you can't get one of these in silver. :)
    (@under spot.) :woot::wideyed:

s-l1600 (12).jpg
    This is a good example of both collecting, and investing.

Mr Roots likes this.
  16. PeacePeople

That's not what I said.

17. Aquahollic

Aquahollic ֍ E Pluribus Unum ֎

That's exactly what you said.

18. PeacePeople

Right...that 1/10th of gold has a value of just over 7 of the ASE. I'm not going to get into him trying to be obtuse...or where or how they can be spent or used...not wasting my time on idiocy.

19. Jason.A

Jason.A Active Member

There's no nice way to put this. If you are hoarding precious metals with even the faintest plan of one day needing to use them to barter, you are a fool.

20. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

I'll remember that when you come knocking on my door with your baby stack of mercury dimes trying to barter for a chicken and roll of TP.

21. PeacePeople

I believe that believing your own perspective is the only valid perspective is lunacy.

Mr Roots likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted