My grandpa's pocket watch fob

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Moekeever, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

As a large cent collector you'll likely find you have more in common with ancient collectors than moderns.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    RAGNAROK, Volodya and TIF like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

Yes I can really see why.

A couple of questions I have now.

1. Before I buy my first ancient, what is the best reference site or book for a newbie?

2. Anyone know of any ancient coin dealers in the Indianapolis, IN area? I will also be attending Central States show this spring so surely I can find dealers of ancients there.

Curtisimo and Kentucky like this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Hate to be the guy who says it...but search this forum. There are tons okf links and references. Also unlike U.S. there is no Red Book.

5. Moekeever

Been reading on here most of the day. I have been on several different sites and have viewed lots of beauties. I really would like to learn the history and culture behind the ancients if that makes sense.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

If you haven’t already done so, visit our own Doug Smith’s educational website on ancients and go from there.
    https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/

7. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I could not agree more. Doug's site has given me hours of enjoyment and immeasurable education over the years.

Moekeever likes this.
  8. Moekeever

Doug's site is exactly what I was looking for. I have been going through coin talk resources on ancients but quite a few of the links are broken. Thanks for heading me in the right direction.

RAGNAROK, lordmarcovan and Alegandron like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Also, check out @Valentinian ’s educational site. He has a LOT of information.
    http://augustuscoins.com/ed/

RAGNAROK, Curtisimo, dougsmit and 4 others like this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

It really has a great mix of depth and beginner content. His site was of great help to me when I was just starting out on ancients, and yet when I go back and re-read some of the same pages now, I find a lot I missed out or did not fully appreciate on first reading.

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Oh no, we may lose another one to the dark side. :dead:

Once you start, it's like The Hotel California, "You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave" :singing::headphone:(apologies to Don Henley and The Eagles) :)

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Please, if you find bad links on my site, please tell me, please. I grew tired of maintaining it like I once did but will always do what I need to make it work right. I always intended to update many pages and add more but am ashamed of the lack of work in that direction. Lately I have spent more time online at places like CT which has occupied the coin-energy I have left.

13. Moekeever

Doug, your site is fantastic. Spent several hours last night reading pages. As an ancient newbie, your site has opened up my eyes. I'm going to take my time deciding my new collecting strategy before buying my first ancient. Thank you for all your hard work, this site shows your passion.

Roman Collector likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The "ancient" guys on here are a fantastic reference AFAIK. I am really interested to find out if your fob is an authentic coin...hope it is.

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That's a cool fob. As one may deduce from my avatar, I used to collect "holey" coins.

Did someone say "Corinthian stater"? ;)

u5s71A1NSNeDIANi3S50_AncientGreece-Corinth-stater-051900-coin-v2.jpg WlA2f80LSI2jUA1f4jNT_Tag-Corinth-stater.png U0HIi4hORmuUxL1Co2Zg_NGC4280918-002_OBV.JPG

No, wait! Or did someone say Corinthian leather?

Why, yes! Ricardo Montalban did.

For years.

Edit: re. that second ad - ROFL at what they called a small Chrysler in 1975. :p

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  16. Moekeever

Took the coin to my local coin club on Sunday. Unfortunately, the person I needed to show this coin to was not in attendance. I did show it to several dealers that deal in ancients and none could confirm or reject it. All agreed it's not cast. It's extremely polished from years in my grandfather's pocket. I might have to wait until the Central States show to get an answer.

ominus1 and Curtisimo like this.
  17. Moekeever

I went to the Indianapolis coin show today and showed my coin to several different dealers with ancient experience. All of agreed it's the real deal. Had it tested and it was positive for silver, weight 11.2 grams. I want to thank everyone for helping me identify this beautiful piece. I am going to make my first purchase of an ancient at the Central States show. I will start a new thread for that.

18. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wait, what?
    Did you mean to type 8.2 gm? 8.2 would be fitting (slightly underweight but consistent with having a hole and wear). 11.2 gm is almost 3 gm too heavy.

RAGNAROK and zumbly like this.
  19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Does the chin seem receded when compared with others? That is the thing that caught my un-ancient-accustomed eyes. Jim

20. Moekeever

Yes 8.2 gm I think I'm losing my mind the older I get.

TIF likes this.
  21. Moekeever

Not sure about that, they seemed satisfied with the striking but the polished surface was mentioned.

Draft saved Draft deleted