Featured My first Tarentum dolphin rider :)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

This Is Fabulous. And many thanks for releasing him from his plastic prison. The warrior, the horse, Phalantos and the dolphin can breath again.

TIF likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Lovely coin TIF.

TIF likes this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, this is a worthy choice but buying just one is highly overrated. I have no intention in collecting these as a specialty but somehow ended up with three. Of them, none are noteworthy or special so my favorite is the fourree.
    g10140bb0831.jpg g10150bb0320.jpg g10160b00463lg.JPG

5. Pavlos

Pavlos You pick out the big men. I'll make them brave!

What a great coin @TIF! Pretty centering.
    That type is definitely high on my wish list, but like you did, I am waiting for the "one".

TIF likes this.
  6. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Your superb taste and ability to find coins that just speak history never ceases to amaze, @TIF!! That coin is just a gem and you should be very proud. And like many other times, though I didn't feel a strong desire to have this coin type previously, but now based on your new coin and post, I've gotta have one!! Thank you for sharing!!

TIF likes this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I don't think it's available online, but here's the entry and illustration for Vlasto 437.

00-Vlasto437.jpg
    00-vlasto437b.jpg

8. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Sweet new coin @TIF - you certainly chose a nice one. If you've never ridden a dolphin you should put it on your bucket list of things to do. Our family went last year to Cozumel and they have an attraction there, Dolphinaris, where you get to interact with the dolphins and one of the features of the attraction is a dolphin ride. You swim out a distance and face the dolphin with your hands out. The trainer tells him to go and he'll come zooming towards you moving to your left side and around you coming back up next to you on your right where you grab a pectoral fin. The dolphin then rotates to his back and underneath you so that you are belly to belly and holding on to both fins, then you'd better hold on 'cause now you're in for a ride. They are amazingly strong animals and seem to move effortlessly through the water, even with a not so slim guy holding on for dear life. I won't subject you to that image so here is one of my daughter . . .
    tn_IMG_3233.JPG
    Congrats on another great addition to the TIF Collection.
    -d

9. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Nomos of Taras 465-455 B.C. Obv. Male riding dolphin left. Rv Hippocamp swimming left 8.10 grms 21 mm taras17.jpeg

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great coin, @TIF ! Gorgeous!

Still waiting for mine! :)

TIF likes this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Sweet addition!

TIF likes this.
  12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

beau T ful @TIF :)

TIF likes this.
  13. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks, everyone! @Terence Cheesman, what a marvelous example of one of the earliest types!

14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Neat-o coin TIF.

This is my wavy example:
    Taras Collage 1.jpg

15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I briefly forgot what "wavy" meant in this context, thought of medieval hammered coins, and squinted at yours, thinking it looked nice, and not wavy at all.

If and when I get one, I do favor the waves.

Am eating potato chips this very moment.

They're wavy chips. Coincidence? Perhaps not.

PS- love the coin you posted. Beautiful.

Theodosius likes this.
  16. rg3

rg3 Well-Known Member

Great choice, TIF! Funny how I keep on accumulating this type without considering it a sub-specialty (oldest to newest models, second is ex-Vlasto):
    35407_2.jpg 2110053.jpg
    26437_2.jpg
    3800028 (1).jpg

17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

[​IMG]
    While mine is far far inferior, did anyone notice the match with the RG3 coin? How would graders grade these two? That is why I oppose the concept of grading by wear. Eye appeal is everything.

18. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Nomos of Taras 240-228 B.C. Vlasto 963 Obv. Armored warrior on prancing horse right being crowned by Nike. Rv. Phalanthos riding dolphin left 6.51 grms 20 mm taras13.jpeg

19. octavius

octavius Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Greek coins, but I sure do know that yours is beautiful.

TIF likes this.
  20. TIF

TIF Always learning.

@Collect89-- great example and very nice metal!
    @rg3-- wow, fantastic assortment. Someday I'll try for an earlier type.
    @Terence Cheesman-- another stellar coin!

21. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Here is a NEWP that I've not posted before.
    (seller's photo)
    Taras 2 Collage.jpg
    CALABRIA, Tarentum
    AR Nomos
    Circa 290-281 BC.
    (20mm, 7.78 g, 1h)

Obv:
    Warrior, holding shield and two spears, preparing to cast a third, on horseback right; AR monogram to left, ΦI below.
    Rev: Phalanthos, holding distaff, riding dolphin left; ΦIΛIΣ on left, eagle standing (facing left) on right; four waves below.
    Grade: Choice Very Fine lightly toned, blemished only with some rough surface areas & old cleaning scratches
    Other: Fischer-Bossert Group 78b, – (unlisted dies); Vlasto 568-9; HN Italy 933.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
Draft saved Draft deleted