My First Slabbed Coin & Question

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by SilverTracker, Jun 26, 2017.

1. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I just received my first slabbed coin today, a 2012 Chinese Panda. I love it.

But I do have a question though about this. I thought I read and saw somewhere that PCGS always wrapped a special tape (reflective with their logo) outside the slab and over the top of the slab as to ensure that the slabbed coin within was not tampered with? If the tape was removed or slit open you could tell if it was tampered with. As you can see in my pic from the top that tape is missing? Should I be concerned with this?

I did check out the number on the slab and entered that into the PCGS certified registry and this coin checked out as far as date and type.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I never seen a PCGS slab with any kind of seal (tape) other than the sonic seal welding both sections of the slab together.

Did you check cert verification?
    http://www.pcgs.com/cert/

4. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

What do mean by Sonic Seal? Can you tell if mine has that?

Yes I did check the certification on their website and the date and type checks out.

5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

You heard/read wrong.

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The slab comes in two pieces. After the coin and label are put in, the two halves of the slab are welded together with sound waves that generate heat in the material, welding them together. You can see the seem by looking at the edge of the slab.

SilverTracker and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

To my knowledge @SilverTracker the only slabs that have a tamper-proof tape on them are the GSA cases used for Morgan dollars, but these are graded by NGC, not PCGS.

Chris

8. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

+1

9. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

I think if your able to add it then your in good shape. I had 2 of 4 coins I bought show that the prior owner had registered. Been waiting 3 weeks now to get 2 of them on my registry. Frustrating.

10. cpm9ball

I've read that some people have a problem adding a recently acquired coin to their Registry Set because the previous owner had failed to delete the coin from his set. Is this what you mean?

Chris

11. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

Yes, and you send email notices but they don't respond. sent email with details receipt & pictures to PCGS and still no luck. Someone could pass away too. The coins are mine and good, but have them sitting in que to be put away. I like to log my coins then put them away for safe keeping. Sitting with sticky note on them for weeks is frustrating :)

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Question, why would you buy a slabbed bullion only coin ?

13. cpm9ball

Have you tried contacting the former owner? I believe it is up to that person to make sure the coin is deleted.

Chris

14. kkathyl0

kkathyl0 Active Member

yes that was first thing we did, but only 2 of 4 was able to get done. others not responding. I think anyone who uses the registry should be mindful of it when they sell. But not all collectors or dealers even know about the registry yet alone a family member if a collector passes away.

Draft saved Draft deleted