My First Graded ASE

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Randy Abercrombie, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

midas1, ZoidMeister and Kentucky like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I have bid on/would buy an MS70, just for the novelty of it, but not for big bucks.

4. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Now, mind you, I have a complete collection of business strike ASEs. They are all raw. It’s fun to buy the new one every January and stick it in the album.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Thanks

Kentucky likes this.
  7. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I hope you enjoy your first graded coin. I do.
    I know people who only buy MS70 or CAM or Proof or ungraded coins.
    Buy what you want. You're the one that lives w/ it. Opinions are like a**holes everybody has at least one.

Garlicus and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

". . . Cause set builders will want the assurance that the surfaces of the ASEs are of high and consistent grade across the entire set. . . "
    Most collectors looking for graded coins are looking for MS70s.

I agree, some of the unique ASEs will generate interest from investors. If your goal is to buy w/ investment return in mind looking beyond generic ASEs might be useful.

9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Would most (all?) collectors prefer an MS70 at an equal or slightly higher price than any other grade? Sure. However, from my experience as a seller, most collectors are not willing to pay double (sometimes more) for a 70 compared to the price of a 69. The major reasons pricing for a 70 is so much higher are...

1) the illusion that you are getting a perfect coin. Not the case. If you look close enough you will always find a flaw. I can't tell you how many times I've compared 70s to 69s and you don't see an overall difference, at least not one to justify paying much more. More times than not the two grades are of similar condition. If 90+% of the time the difference in grade was noticeable, I would say maybe it's worth the much higher premium. This lack of consistency though does not warrant the higher price, in my opinion.

2) Registry collectors who just want those extra points.

From an investment standpoint, common date ASEs are nowhere near the top of the list of best coins to invest in. I don't think you'll find disagreement from anyone on that.

I do believe however that they have some investment potential from collectors in the future wanting to build a full set (1986-last date). This is the same reasoning for my belief that graded ASEs may have some future investment potential. That's not to say they'll ever be the best investment. That's a different conversation.

10. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

". . . 1) the illusion that you are getting a perfect coin. Not the case. If you look close enough you will always find a flaw. . . "

I don't think you get it.

11. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

What is there to get? I'm just making a statement.

But if you feel I'm missing something then go ahead and explain it.

12. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Most knowledgable collectors of generic ASEs will not pay a premium for slabbed MS69 coins. I'm offering you my opinion. If you read thru the thread I believe you'll see that or you can post the question separately. If you post it separately you might subject yourself to some abuse.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted