My first ancient coin in 2021: Claritas

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orielensis, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

Compared to previous years, I so far bought only few coins in 2021. As of March 16, my total comes down to two medievals (shown here and here), three 16th/17th century snacks, and a single ancient coin.

Partly, this is due to me cutting back a bit on coin expenses. A recent move to a "new" (actually quite old) apartment turned out to be rather cost intensive, so there isn't that much disposable cash right now. But on the other hand, my lack of coin purchases is largely also due to the exploding prices for ancient coins. We all know that our hobby has become a lot more expensive recently, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who again and again looses out on auction bids that would have had a good chance of success 18 months ago. Hopefully, some rich people will rediscover playing golf and stop collecting ancients once all of this is over!

To curb my frustration, I pulled the trigger on this little LRB bargain. It's nothing mind-blowing, but the Claritas-type was still lacking from my collection and I like the portrait. So, here is my first and so far only ancient coin purchase of the year:

Rom – Constantinus II Junior, AE3, Claritas, Arles.png
    Constantine II Iunior, Roman Empire, AE3, 317 AD, Arelate mint. Obv: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB CAES, bust of Constantine II, laureate, draped, cuirassed r. rev: CLARIT-A-S REIPVB; Sol, radiate, chlamys flying, running l., raising r. hand and holding globe in l. hand; in fields, R–S; in exergue SARL. 20mm, 3.00g. Ref: RIC VII Arelate 120.

Please post your own 2021 purchases!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    paschka, Choucas, Andres2 and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

This is my first 2021 purchase that I got in the first week of January.
    A budget Danube Celtic imitative tetradrachm for 30 bucks! celt.jpg

paschka, Bing, Johndakerftw and 5 others like this.
  4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Unusual reverse OP. Not something you see commonly.

Clavdivs and Orielensis like this.
  5. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Very nice! I like the portrait ...and Sol almost looks like a shadow of himself on that reverse...
    upload_2021-3-16_13-20-36.png

Here is a large Justinian I recently acquired... very large example (42.3mm)

upload_2021-3-16_13-14-40.png

PeteB, Bing, paschka and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted