Medieval Monday!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I would like to see them! I'm not actually clear on how to distinguish the lifetime issues from the immobilized issues. Help on this point would be gratefully received.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Well, for one, @Severus Alexander, purely on stylistic grounds, your example is demonstrably a lifetime issue. ...Except that, especially for the 10th century, metaphors like 'mission creep' and 'grade inflation' might come to mind. An example of what is, in effect, the first (collective) issue could be posthumous by a decade or so. ...The point being, not much more than that, in a worst case.
    Far as finding .jpgs of any of them, let me take a quick look at the usual suspects, file-wise. (...)

4. +VGO.DVCKS

...Rats, looking bad for the good guys. As aquisitions, they might even predate the days when I started to copy the dealers' own pictures. ...But on broad but unmistakable stylistic grounds --along with discrete variations in legend, and what there is for motif-- they can easily be dated within a century, just on sight. The earliest (and some of the commonest) immobilizations are c. late 10th -11th century. Yours is Easily on the upper shelf from those.

5. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

Well, as CT was down on Monday, here's my Medieval on Thursday! Actually received it yesterday, on Monday. Anyway:
    upload_2021-2-2_7-58-6.png
    ANGLO-SAXON, Anonymous. Denomination: AR Sceatta (Serie A), minted: Probably Eastern England; 690-710 AD
    Obv: Radiate bust to the right, somewhat curde, curved line of pellets beneath crown, legend (partly off-flan): TIC
    Rev: TTo// standard, without clear tuva as.
    Weight: 0.75g; Ø:10mm. Catalogue: Abramson 3-10. Provenance: Ex. Heritage Europe auction 50, lot 3935 (24.05.2016); Ex. World Coins Company 28-01-2021; acq.: 01-2021
    Personal communication with Tony Abramson (28-01-2021): "It's certainly Series A with the TIC legend. There are a few anomalous features as you point out - the large head, the curved hairline and the disintegrated tufa. I would suggest this deterioration and the light weight, places it late in Series A. "

... and received this one last week (after Monday). It's a nice example of a somewhat scarce type, however, a slightly larger flan would have been nice:
    WhatsApp Image 2021-01-27 at 15.37.48.jpeg
    ANGLO-SAXON, Anonymous. Denomination: AR Sceatta (Serie N, type 41b), minted: Probably Eastern England; 715-720 AD
    Obv: Two figures facing forward, long cross pommee between, both wearing long tunics, long crosses at either side
    Rev: Crested monster left, looking back, crest behind, tail raised, claws beneath, pellets in field
    Weight: 0g; Ø:11mm. Catalogue: Abramson 52-40 (scarce). Provenance: Ex. private collection; acq.: 01-2021
    Minor iron deposits on the obverse, cleaning scratches on reverse

VD76, talerman, TTerrier and 10 others like this.
  6. Severus Alexander

OK, thanks @+VGO.DVCKS! At some point I'll have to take a dive into the range of those from earliest to latest.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  7. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

In the great series, "Vikings" Odo was portraited as the bad guy/ with the Emperor's daughter later to marry Rollo/ saving the day.

+VGO.DVCKS and Severus Alexander like this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The first season was very good, but then it turned into a soap opera. What a shame!

+VGO.DVCKS and panzerman like this.
  9. +VGO.DVCKS

...Missed that one, but that even happened with "Deadwood." The real genius of the first two seasons was the writing --with all that brilliant juxtaposition of Victorian-inspired prose and foul language-- then the original writers left. Never picked up after that.

panzerman likes this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

@Severus Alexander, I Found one! ...Buried in "Camera Uploads." This might be the only immobilization I have.
    COINS, LIMOGES, C. 11TH .jpg
    Duplessy dates this phase to "vers 1020-1100" (No. 847). (Further 'deformations de legendes' are noted in 847A.) He dates earlier ones, with one variant, to the 10th and early 11th centuries. (844-5; 846 is an obole.)
    Mostly for my own edification, the 3rd edition of Depeyrot (2008) notes that the prototype of Odo (511) has a distinct variation in the orientation of the obverse legend, relative to the earliest versions in Duplessy. ...Exactly as yours does. To wallow in the obvious (granted that you have some pretty impressive references), Yes, yours is Definitely the real deal!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    VD76, talerman, TTerrier and 9 others like this.
  11. Severus Alexander

Thanks for the further info & photo, @+VGO.DVCKS! :happy:

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  12. +VGO.DVCKS

@Severus Alexander, it was (pardon the pun) an unalloyed joy to, Ahem, eventually be of some real help! :<}

Severus Alexander likes this.
  13. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

It's Monday again!

Here is a late medieval Hanseatic witten with an interesting engraving error. The reverse legend should read "sit laus Deo patri," but I reckon the engraver had a bad day:
    MA – Deutschland etc., Lüneburg, Witten, Stern .png
    Lüneburg, City, AR witten, after 1379 AD. Obv: *MONETA . LVNEBORGh; rampant lion l. Rev: *SIT . LAS [!] . DEO . PATRI; cross with six-rayed star (emblem of the Wendish monetary union) in center. 19mm. Ref: Jesse 367.

talerman, TTerrier, Curtisimo and 7 others like this.
  14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

15. +VGO.DVCKS

Here's one of my 10th-century immobilizations of Charles II (840-877) of Le Mans; Charles the Simple (who ceded the first part of Normandy to Rollo) or later.
    COINS, CAROLINGIAN, LE MANS, IMMOBILISATION, CHARLES THE SIMPLE OR LATER.jpg

VD76, talerman, TTerrier and 7 others like this.
  16. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I was trying to think of what to post for today. Decided to go with this little lady (who needs an upgrade... someday...)
    Med-05a-FAqu-1185-Eleanor-D-9B-1a.jpg

French Feudal - Aquitaine
    Eleanor, r. 1185-1204
    AR Denier, 17.86mm x 0.8 grams
    Obv.: + DVCISIT, M above, A below, two cross pattee on either side
    Rev.: + AQVITANIE, Cross Pattee inside
    Ref.: AGC 9B (1/a), Duplessy 1025 (Anonymous of William X), Roberts 4313, SCBC 8011, De Wit 401

VD76, talerman, TTerrier and 8 others like this.
  17. +VGO.DVCKS

Nice one, @FitzNigel! ...Once (...okay?) you do upgrade, there are a couple of people here who you could consider sending a holler regarding this one. (Yep: just for one, Teacher, I Raise My Hand.) ...Liking it a Lot that you opted for clarity of the (yes, disappointingly vague) legends over the flan.
    A shout-out to @TheRed: am I making it up, or do you have a copy of Elias on the Anglo-Gallic series? (1984; maybe recently revised or even, arguably supplanted, but here I'm definitely in over my head.)

FitzNigel likes this.
  18. I_v_a_n

I_v_a_n Well-Known Member

This coin is a little late for medieval in general but it can be accounted as medieval in Russia. It's a quarter of hungarian ducat struck in 1654 to celebrate a join of Ukraine and Russia.

Угорский 1654.jpg

19. +VGO.DVCKS

Beautiful, @I_v_a_n . You get serious points for letting this skate under the 'Medieval' radar.
    ...Except, your example is too good Not to have a transliteration and translation of the legend, for those of us hopelessly flailing around with Cyrillic.
    (...Where am I on this? Watch!!! Cyrillic is mmmmVaguely based on the medieval Greek alphabet. After which, I'm done for the whole day!)

panzerman likes this.
  20. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...ah, this thread do make Mondays much better don't your think?!:D..here's Filipe lV of Spain ..(we'll call it 'late' medieval:smuggrin:) Phillip lll and lV of Spain 006.JPG Phillip lll and lV of Spain 007.JPG

21. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

77284F42-A363-4CD2-8050-0FD7AB97C773.jpeg

Secondary phase Anglo-Saxon sceat
    Series U
    Type 23d
    S.816
    Abramson 45-50

Curtisimo, talerman, TTerrier and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted