Moving my bullion

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by Alaska stacker, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

If you go through customs claim it on the customs form ,do not try and hide it , if you hide and they find it your going to lose it. be honest and you will have no issues to deal with as long as you explain your situation . It is that simple , . I agree with the majority ship it insured and let somebody else worry about it .

Dynoking, Stork and Stevearino like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

From personal experience, don’t try to enter Canada with a sealed-up trailer or sealed-up anything.

Went there fishing with a trailer tarped up (nailed down) to keep out the dust from the 200 miles of gravel road we had to drive on to get to northern Manitoba.

We had to take off the tarp and unpack EVERYTHING!

Steve

baseball21 likes this.
  4. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Got $124? - A Priority Mail (USPS) parcel (18" x 12" x 6" heavy duty box) weighing 23 lbs., mailed from Anchorage AK to Miami FL will cost $88.41 - Registered Mail insured for $20K will cost an additional $30.55 - Restricted Delivery fee is another $5.05 - a smaller, lighter parcel not traveling quite as far & and insured for a thousand or two less will cost maybe $10 less - pack the bullion tightly w/ enough padding to prevent any shifting - it will arrive in three days, so as long as you have someone you trust to accept and sign for the parcel at the other end, this is as secure as it gets - good luck with moving your stack :cool:
    P.S.= there is a specific way to prepare the parcel > see this page for a good explanation > http://www.jewelry-appraisal.com/how_to_package.htm

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Stevearino likes this.
  5. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Shoot, considering how long Registered takes, it might make it there after you are done with the drive :D.

Going back to one other comment...in this modern era of civil asset forfeiture, and the incentivization to make it happen (ie the group who confiscates that 'potential crime related money/bullion' gets to keep a lot of the proceeds...which funds things like new equipment)...I'd be very leery if not downright paranoid. Too many honest people who can't afford to liberate their property as it's 'not worth the legal costs'. Cars, cash, bullion etc. I know it's VERY unlikely, but Very is not the same as Won't. Not to mention normal thieves, accidents etc.

Registered will cover you. It is as secure as you can get for something like this.

That said, I'll ship priority sometimes, but IIRC though it covers numismatic coins, maybe not bullion. Could be wrong on this. Plus, the huge number on the sticker screams 'steal me'. I just shipped a few coins in the not quite $3000 range...it was $40ish. Almost switched to registered, but was in more of a hurry (and it arrived safely).

6. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

Why not take Tote? Drive truck on board in Alaska. Drive off in US.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  7. Dynoking

Dynoking Well-Known Member

NO! Border agents are trained to look for signs of removal and re-installation. You do not want to give law enforcement any excuse to detain and search you or your vehicle.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

An odd thought. Why not buy through the mail a nice, say small B rated slab steel safe, like a Gardall. Then pack it with your stuff and then ship it to the new location with insurance in the same shipping box? The shipping ppl will just think they are shipping a safe except for the valuation at purchase. You'll pay for the weight and valuation but it should be "safe" getting there.

9. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

They may be suspicious when the box says 300 lbs and the actually weight is 500 lb (or whatever the numbers are).

10. GoldBug999

GoldBug999 Well-Known Member

The coins in question only weigh 20 pounds or so.

Stevearino likes this.
  11. I would send Registered Mail insured for full value and enjoy your drive. TC

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted