More gold standard stuff

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by eric0911, May 30, 2011.

1. eric0911

eric0911 SMS-71

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 00birdy

00birdy New Member

sweet idea and i've always wanted for something like this to happen, but as a retailer it would never fly. It would open up my store to a whole new level of counterfeiting. Unless the state is going to pay me to employee a jewelry or bullion expert, it is a lose-lose situation for business owners.

4. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

The one ounce American Silver Eagle coins are pretty easy to recognize. And it might work well in reverse too if merchants offered the option to customers to take change for $50 and $100 bills partly in ASEs.

5. Pepperoni

Pepperoni Senior Member

Contracts that require payments to be made over a period of time, are of concern to some .Companies are looking at ways to collect periodic payments in something stronger than $ US .
    Some think ETF paper might be right for large transactions . ETFs are complicated by nature, how they are put together and how much real product is behind the paper. A lot of ideas out there .

6. InfleXion

InfleXion Wealth Preserver

Considering how many supposed 400 oz gold plated tungsten bars are floating around, quite a few according to some, I am steering clear of gold ETF's just to be safe. Although you'd think a standard could be achieved regardless of how much actual gold there is as long as the currency/gold ratio remains intact with respect to quantity. I'd like to see a bi-metal or quad-metal standard (with PGM's) personally so no single market can have a majority influence.

7. 00birdy

00birdy New Member

I feel like this was already tried out, much in the same way that speculation broke the bretton woods system of '44. To do it on a single country level..possibly, but with constant varying market rates for both gold ans silver, would be too much to ask of retailers imo.

8. Pepperoni

Pepperoni Senior Member

When the gold standard was in effect , money was not covered 100 % in gold . I believe the idea of a portion to give the perception of gold backed is an effort being looked at.

Pep

9. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Yes, there is a difference between backing currency with some [or all] gold and letting gold circulate as currency. When folks talk about THE gold standard, it is important to designate which one they are talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted