Featured Monsters, interdimensional portals and stranger things still/ How deep is your demension?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ryro, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I've been waiting (not very) patiently for my Halloween presents to myself. And...
    [​IMG]

Ok, Ok. It's only one present but the spooky little girl says "Theeeeey're here" not "Iiiiit's here".
    I purchased this coin, of course, for the Ketos Sea Monster (Latinized as Cetus)!

[​IMG]
    (Mosaic with a ketos found at Caulonia (Monasterace) in the Casa del Drago, 3rd century BCE)

Fabled as a maiden munching monstrosity slayed in various tales by such all around bad dudes as Herakles and Perseus!!! There is even a constellation named after this ancient beast:cigar: (I borrowed @TIF's identification as mine was listed by the seller as being unknown and having a horse on the obverse:p also, her and I have the much more rare right facing version)

0756F0C7-F5E3-455C-99C1-0007B26628FD.png
    CARIA, Halikarnassos (reassigned from Kindya)
    500-496 BCE
    AR tetrobol, 1.78 gm, 11 mm, Samian standard
    Obv: head of ketos right
    Rev: geometric pattern within incuse square

I mentioned my excitement of the acquisition of the coin in the "Coins that go bump in the night part 2" thread. But the more I look at it the more I am drawn to the oober trippily detailed and concave reverse. It looks like some ancient geometric map to other dimensions! All the more so with the deep black hole in the center.

upload_2019-10-25_13-16-19.png
    (actual pic of Homer trying to touch my coin)

Unfortunately, you cannot perceive the 3 dimensions on a 2 dimensional image.
    Below you will see I tried to capture the concavity of the coin. For such a tiny guy it really is something else!

Pardon the shaky pics, but I thought the animation would help show the depth of the reverse.
    [​IMG]

However, when I tried the same thing with the obverse a Halloween surprise awaited me as the Ketos monster attempted its attack! (Good thing I'm not any of these: young, chaste nor a woman)

[​IMG]

I remember a cool thread a bit ago about ancient coins reliefs. What about the other side of the coin (he said pleased with the pun he'd walked right into). Do you have any anti-relief coins? Monsters (sea or land)? Gateways to other worlds??? Post em if ya got em...or whatever floats your Ketos!

chrsmat71, kaparthy, shanxi and 30 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Wow, @Ryro , is THAT Tetrobol cool! If you had not attributed it, I would thought was Celtic. Neat design!

Ryro likes this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I like the constellation Cetus (Ketos) home of the galaxy Messier 77 visible in amateur telescopes, including mine. Also the home of Omicron Ceti, a well-known reddish variable star also known as Mira (the wonderful) which was actually featured in the original Star Trek episode where Spock is hit by flying spores from a flower that results in the complete loss of his logic and him hanging from a tree, laughing.

Nice coin of an interdimensional nature.

ominus1, Ryro and Jwt708 like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Super coin! Your monster is frightful and also reminds me of Bill the Cat :D

[​IMG]

If you copied that attribution from mine, please note that I was too hasty in that (re)attribution, copying it from some seller and not researching it myself. I have not read the study or studies which led to some sellers using the new attribution. I've reverted mine back to Kindya for now until/unless I find a compelling reason to change it. Sorry for the misdirection! :shy::oops:

[​IMG]
    CARIA, Kindya
    500-496 BCE
    AR tetrobol, 2.18 gm, 11 mm, Samian standard
    Obv: head of ketos right
    Rev: geometric pattern within incuse square
    Ref: Kagan and Kritt, 'The Coinage of Kindya,' NC 1995, 1 var. (head left); SNG Keckman 920 var. (same); SNG Kayhan 815; "Asyut Hoard" 688

chrsmat71, shanxi, galba68 and 13 others like this.
  6. Ryro

I felt @zumbly had a very compelling reason for the attribution to Halikarnossus in this oldy but goody on this very subject.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-monsterous-little-coin.274896/#post-2350748

And YEEEEUUUUSSS! I totally grew up LOVING Berke Breathed!!!
    One of the collections of his that I loved best has a title eerily and nearly to the title of this thread:

[​IMG]

PS: Thanks for sharing yours. That is THE Ketos monster that all others monster to be like.

7. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

If you really want to get sucked into the Portal try looking for your coin in Koray Konuk's die study. You will also learn why Halikarnassos is "in" and Kindya is "out".

TIF and Ryro like this.
  8. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..my 1st thought also..kool coin @Ryro ! :)

Alegandron and Ryro like this.
  9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Ryro likes this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice one, @Ryro. I really like the type. It clearly depicts what actually happens when a Stargate opens...
    00stargate.jpg

Here's my left-facer again.
    Caria Kindya.jpg

Thanks for that link, Ed. I was wondering why CNG had started describing them as "AR Hekte" on the Milesian standard.

chrsmat71, shanxi, kaparthy and 9 others like this.
  11. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Yes @Ryro your coin is definitely a portal to a parallel universe or wormhole that you have already passed through and entered the alternate universe. Take a look around where your standing or sitting. Is that piece of furniture really where it’s always been? Are you sure? Where’s your coffee cup? Is that really where you left it? :wideyed::zombie::eek:

I don’t really have any scary coins. I have coins that were in use during the reign of some scary rulers. I have a somewhat creepy but lovable owl. :pigeon:

OWL2.jpg

12. Ryro

Sooooo, this is nothing short of amazing and surely a must read to anyone who owns or is just Kindya;) interested in the type. Thanks a ton Ed:pompous:
    The things that grabbed my attention...
    86027382-E69D-4640-A3AB-1DBF2820B4DD.gif

The previously mentioned kindya out Halikarnassos aside, plus that revaluation isn't quantified until the end of the study.(though so we'll that I'm changing my attribution).
    1-There are 58 different obverese types and almost as many reverse types!
    The only comparable silver output for that period (500 BC) in Asia Minor is that of the mint of Miletos striking very large number of the lion types we all know and love.
    Can you imagine if these sweet monsters were as readily and cheaply available as the miletos Lions!?!
    2-However, the uniform absence of wear on the 260 coins from a hoard which came to light in 2002 showed that there was a very short period of minting.
    It appears that they created the dies in advance. That's why they are so veried and few worn examples exist.
    3- I'd mentioned @TIF and my right facing guys being more rare. Strangely despite almost 40% obverese dies that were right facing less than 20% of finds are rightys. Looking on AC search it seems like even less than that.
    39.7% of the obverse dies recorded for the series as a whole have a
    right-facing ketos, only 18.3% of the surviving coins are of this variety.
    4-The most likely occasion for the production of the ketos hektai would be the Ionian Revolt of 499-494 BC. In Herodotos’ account, the Karians joined the revolt shortly after it broke out in 499 BC. The Persians sent an army south under Daurises to crush them.
    That makes these fierce little hunks of metal emergency war Coinage by Greeks to resist and fight Persia!
    Simply incredible stuff!:jawdrop:
    Again, I highly recommend reading this intriguing, very well written and presented and entertaining study!

13. Ryro

Thanks for the kind words @Alegandron and @ominus1. I can see how you got the Celtic confusion in the artistry.
    And thanks for mentioning the constellation @ancient coin hunter! I hadn't even heard of this constellation. I always wanted to get a nice telescope. I found a pretty cool outline of it and what the Greeks may have envisioned it as looking:
    A09BC86E-83E0-43AC-8A9D-17B40D72298C.png

Rad looking website @David Atherton. I am always looking for new fun pod casts and cannot wait to check it out further when I get a spare minute.
    Now you've done it @zumbly! You've unlocked the portal!!!
    Seriously love your and @TIF's coins. Yours is more like mine, while TIF's is swirling. Wish I could see the depth inn those reverses.
    I'd say you broke my brain @Deacon Ray, but you cannot break what's already broken.
    81E2188B-6DC4-45C6-AD24-D63324A9160A.gif
    Great spooky drunk owl (who else emptied the amphora?

14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I believe they depict different stages of the Portal's opening. I would warn against staring too deeply... Things have been known to cross over. Here are some entities that have been documented, each one more terrible than the last.

Flying Toasters. Charles Strite's Kitchen, 1919.
    00-portal1INZkyuF.gif

Cthulhu. Arkham, Massachusetts, 2 April 1939.
    00portal-cthulhu.gif

Fully Armed Basselope. Bloom County, USA, 1986.
    00portal-3basselope.jpg

15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Speaking of creatures placed in the heavens as constellations, here are a few others that come to mind.

The Nemean lion was placed by Hera in the heavens as the constellation Leo after it was killed by Herakles.

Domna Marcianopolis Herakles and the lion.jpg
    Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
    Roman provincial Æ 17.5 mm, 4.33 g, 2 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis, AD 193-211.
    Obv: IOVΛIA ΔO-[MNA CEB], bare-headed and draped bust right.
    Rev: [MAPKI]ANOΠOΛITΩN, Herakles standing right, wrestling the Nemean lion.
    Refs: AMNG I 606; Varbanov 673; Moushmov 419; SNG Copenhagen --; SNG Budapest --.

The constellation Capricorn is, of course, a capricorn.

[​IMG]
    Cornelia Supera, wife of Aemelian, Augusta, 253 CE.
    Roman provincial Æ 20.5mm, 3.78 g.
    Mysia, Parium, AD 253.
    Obv: G CORN SUPERA, diademed and draped bust right.
    Rev: C. G. I. H. P., Capricorn right, cornucopiae on back; globe between legs (Sear describes as a star, but this appears to be a globe).
    Refs: SGI 4408 (var.); SNG Von Aulock 7448.

Pegasus appropriately appears near Perseus, Andromeda, and Cetus as a constellation.

[​IMG]
    Caligula, AD 37-41.
    Roman provincial Æ 20 mm, 6.74 g.
    Peloponnese, Corinthia, Corinth, Ae. P. Vipsanius Agrippa and M. Bellius Proculus, duoviri, AD 37-38.
    Obv: C CAESAR AVGVSTV, bare head right.
    Rev: M BELLIO PROCVLO IIVIR / COR, Pegasus flying right.
    Refs: RPC I 1173; Amandry (1988) XVII; BCD Corinth 405-6.

16. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Oh, yesss! Diggin' the ketos coolness!

Here's one I had a few years ago. One day I'd like to find a slightly better example of this crabby/ketos combo.

Sicily, Akragas: silver hemidrachm, ca. 410-406 BC

Obverse- eagle right, clutching dead hare in its talons, barley grain behind.
    Reverse- Crab, with ketos below, swimming left with fish in its jaws.

16 mm, 1.8 g. SNG ANS 1012. Ex-Gitbud-Naumann, Germany, through VCoins store, 5/28/2014.

[​IMG]

17. lordmarcovan

PS- @Ryro- the GIFS are great. They really help show the portal concavity.

Ryro likes this.
  18. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

These guys were the first to invent the PC cooler.

cooler.jpg

19. lordmarcovan

I downloaded that for a break from my present streak of Business Wars and true crime podcasts. Will I remember to find the file in my phone and listen to it on tonight's commute? Time will tell.

David Atherton and Ryro like this.
  20. Ryro

I gave it a listen yesterday and really enjoyed the Map Monsters one and will be listening to more of their podcasts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chrsmat71 and David Atherton like this.
  21. lordmarcovan

Cryptozoology is not normally a podcast topic that would interest me more than mildly, but something about the "map monsters" topic specifically intrigues me. We'll see if it holds my interest on the drive to work.

I like a little more fact than fiction and cryptozoology has more than its fair share of hokum. But I can get into some antique hokum and superstition.

Roman Collector and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted