A monsterous little coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dougsmit, Feb 16, 2016.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

g01725fd1348.jpg Actually this is pretty big as little silver goes at 2.01g. The obverse shows a sea monster identified as Ketos. I am unclear if it is breathing fire or just rude with a fluffy tongue sticking out. The reverse is ornate as incuse punches go but I am unable to explain the reason for the design called 'lattice'. Most books identify it as Kindya, Caria, but I do see a note in Kayhan (SNG Turkey 1) that he intended to publish another idea. Many of these c.500 BC coins of the region have questions attached to their ID. These come both left and right facing and with quite a range of styles on the basic theme.

The truth is I just bought this to encourage Steve to buy a better one in case it is an animal he lacks. :troll: There are not that many left are there?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I really like these gnarly little monsters. The teeth and tongue on mine are clear. If I were to be writing a description for yours, it would be "Ketos snacking on uncertain object (sacrificial maiden?)".

image.jpeg

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I suppose now I need to get a sea monster. Both are nice. Z's has a better strike, but I'll take either.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Incredible. Very rare, I suppose?

6. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Sweet new sea monster addition ...
    Yah, I already have one of these babies, but it isn't really a top-drawer example ... it's kinda missing the top of its sea monster head (sweet reverse though, eh?)

Caria, Kindya AR Tetrobol / Sea monster
    circa 510-480 BC
    Size: 12.6 mm
    Weight: 2 grams
    Obverse: Head of Ketos sea monster left
    Reverse: Latticework pattern in incuse
    Reference: SNG Keckman 920

sea monster.jpg

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I like these Kindya tetrobols quite a lot :). Mine is right-facing. The reverse geometric design looks a bit smushed but the Ketos is very nice.

Kindya-RT.jpg
    CARIA, Kindya
    510-480 BCE
    AR tetrobol, 2.18 gm, 11 mm
    Obv: head of Ketos right
    Rev: geometric pattern within incuse square
    Ref: Kagan and Kritt, 'The Coinage of Kindya,' NC 1995, 1 var. (head left); SNG Keckman 920 var. (same); SNG Kayhan 815; "Asyut Hoard" 688

Carl Wilmont, Hrefn, Ryro and 18 others like this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

total winner, my princess (best I've ever seen)

pretty

:rolleyes:

TIF likes this.
  9. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

Yours looks like a seagull Stevo .... sorry m8

stevex6 likes this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Back in ancient times, the mighty seagull was feared by all who roamed the sea ...

[​IMG]

=> let's see your example, my friend!!

;)

Curtisimo, lordmarcovan, Ryro and 8 others like this.
  11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

^^^ Perfect picture for that reply :joyful::joyful:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Fascinating coins!!!

Another to add to my never shrinking 'want list'...

13. Kevin Weaver

Kevin Weaver New Member

Excellent, too funny, LOL,LOL!

Voldemort likes this.
  14. chuck123

chuck123 Active Member

They all look like winners

15. Andrew Snovell

Andrew Snovell Active Member

This is known as the rude Ketos variety.

GerardV likes this.
  16. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Just won an example in the last CNG and can't wait to get it in hand. For now here is the auction pic.

[​IMG]

CARIA, Kindya. Circa 510-480 BC. AR Tetrobol (11.5mm, 2.24 g). Head of ketos right / Geometric pattern within incuse square. Kagan & Kritt 1 var. (head left); SNG Keckman 920 var. (same); SNG Kayhan 815; Asyut 688 (uncertain mint). VF, toned.

TIF, Carl Wilmont, Ryro and 11 others like this.
  17. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

@TIF is back! TIF, your island sustained a lot of damage in the hurricane. Are you still there, or did you move away temporarily? I am pleased to see you have time enough to post.

GerardV likes this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

2016 posts. @H8_modern 's is the only recent one. I believe she is back in the States.

GerardV likes this.
  19. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

You are right. An old, revived, thread. I didn't check the date of her post.

Alegandron likes this.
  20. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Sorry for the confusion. I thought it made sense to add to a thread that already exists for the coin type.

21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice example, @H8_modern.

Incidentally, in their recent auction description for this type, Roma now points to evidence for "certain reattribution" of these little monsters to Harlikarnassos. Their notes in full :

"Numismatists have long suspected the attribution of this issue and the companion fractions to Kindya to be incorrect. Indeed, this attribution was made on the misreading of just one partial legend. The discovery of a coin (Roma E-35, 279) bearing the reverse legend 'AΛIKAP' allows for a certain reattribution of the series to Halikarnassos."

Here's the coin (not mine) that they reference with the AΛIKAP legend:

2912666l.jpg

TIF, Voldemort, Carl Wilmont and 9 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted