Mexican Libertads

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by alucard86, Jun 22, 2015.

1. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

I was wondering what is everyone's opinion on investing in Mexican Libertads? I can't really afford the gold ones expect the 1/10 oz & 1/20 oz, but those carry much higher premiums than any other 1/10 oz gold coins I've seen.

I love the 1 oz silver Libertads, but was wondering about the 2 oz and 5 oz coins. I don't have any. But the premiums on both the 2 & 5 oz coins are so high compared to their weight in silver is it worth it to invest in them? For example APMEX has the 2015 2 oz Silver Libertad for $54 but Silver is at $16.26 Ask. That's $21 over spot for 2 oz of silver. I could pick up another oz of silver for that over-spot price, or go to my local coin shop and pick up a few more 90%ers for that over-spot price.

I'm not really building a stack for "collector value" but more for ROI in the future.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alucard86

alucard86 Active Member

But yes I wish I had the $ back then to pick up the 1 oz Gold Libertad.

4. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

If you just want silver , I'd stick to ASEs , 90% coins or bars . I have some of each , or whichever will give me more bang for my buck . Now if you like the design and want it buy it as a coin , not as silver .

5. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

With Libertads, I stick to the one ounce. I have a few 2 oz and 5 oz just for kicks because they cool in your hand. I've gone to major coin shows and found them with much smaller premiums. I just bought the 5 oz for $110.00. I also found a 2 oz for 40.00. Keep in mind that some carry premiums because of the mintage. Check mintages before you buy. Some 2 ounce examples are 70-80 dollars or more. The 2014 1 oz came with mintage of 469,000 +/-. Lower than typical and now commands a premium. If you just want them for fun the 2015 is good 2011 should be ok too. If you like the older Winged Onzas the 1982 or 1983. Then you have the balance scale Onzas that contain 1 oz of pure silver but are made of sterling and are bigger. Have fun with them I have a ton of them and they never get old. I love diversifying and also keep ASE's and Maples. I stick to those three.

6. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

7. TX15FX4

TX15FX4 Active Member

What year Libertads have the lettered edge?

8. ocjoe949

ocjoe949 Active Member

1982-1995 I think. It was the chubby ones.

9. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

I love libertads very nice coin

10. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

Libertads are a great looking coin/bullion coin, whatever you want to call it. As ocjoe949 states, mintages are a key with this series. It's those small mintages that make it collectible as a coin, as well as bullion. Check some of the pops on the Libertads, also. At PCGS, for example, there isn't a 70 graded until 2009, in a series that begins in 1982. It's a great design!

11. Silverhill58

Silverhill58 New Member

I just started adding these beautiful coins/rounds to my stack. Because I'm getting in late I have targeted the 2014 proofs. This is a lower mintage year and feel like they will give the best margin of return relative to cost. I got 3 of the 5 coin sets, some 1 ouncers and 1/10. A few others sprinkled in like a 1991 1 ounce proof I lucked into at the LCS.
    I'm really wanting to get some uncirculated Libertads as they are gorgeous but those premiums scare me as I also will expect ROI's.
    I'd like to hear from those that have been into these for years and get there insights into Proof vs. uncirculated.

12. TX15FX4

TX15FX4 Active Member

:)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  13. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Mexican Libertads, Mexican silver is an outstanding investment. Yes, ASE's, Austria Philharmonics, Canadian Maple Leafs are great, but to be honest I would highly recommend Mexican Libertads as an investment.

Stick to the 1oz rounds or the 10oz if you can find them. The beauty of the Libertads far exceeds the beauty of some others IMHO. If you want to get 90%...look into the 1947-1948 Mexico Silver 5 Pesos Cuauhtemocs XF-AU (ASW .8681 oz). These 90% beauties have more silver content than our American Morgan Dollar and they are simply beautiful. Hope this helps. Thanks. :smuggrin:

silverpoint likes this.
  14. Silverhill58

Silverhill58 New Member

I am new to the libertads and have only proof coins. A few 2014 5 coin sets and some additional 2014 1/10 oz. proofs as the mintages on the 2014 is small. As of late I've been wanting to get some more Libertads. Perhaps some BU's. I love the 5 oz. I was considering getting a few complete BU sets from 5 oz. down to the small fractional. I was wondering why you feel staying with the one oz. is the better play as far as ROI............Thanks
    PS: Of course I welcome any feedback this message was a reply to Jason's comments.....Thanks All

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  15. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Every time I see this thread I think it says libtards and have to look at it twice.

midas1 likes this.
  16. Rono

Rono Senior Member

Howdy,

Congratulations. Libertads are a wonderful set to collect. I'm most a silver guy, and have them in the Dansco albums. Note that some of the years are very pricey. I have albums for ASE's and Maple Leafs. I also try to get the yearly issues of the pandas, brittannias, philharmonics, koalas and kooks, etc. I keep these in 2x2s in plastic sheets in looseleaf notebooks. I consider these to be the modern silver crowns, if you will. Oh, and I love silver crowns. Alas and alack, I don't have that many . . . but I'm only 67 so I've got a while . . .

Geez, collect AND hoard what you love.

peace,

rono

Silver Boozer and TX15FX4 like this.
  17. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Well-Known Member

I had put together an "uncirculated set" last year (see previous threads) and decided to do so again this year: 2015 1/20 through 5 oz. This year I also added one of the 2015 Proof sets that has 5 coins 1/20 through 1 oz. I'll post 'em when I get around to the photography.

Rob

18. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

Thanks Rush.

Silver Boozer and lucyray like this.
  19. BunkerTrapMan

BunkerTrapMan Overcoming adversity is the key to happiness

I checked those out and they do look nice.
    How big is the 5oz?

20. JAS0N888

JAS0N888 Member

I started a 2 oz date set in a Dansco with 48mm pages. they should tone nicely over time :)

21. AVS123

AVS123 New Member

I would consider Libertad coins. They are nice looking coins and generally are not mass produced. I enjoy mostly collecting the 1 oz silver BU & PF coins. If demand ever increased like a similar demand to silver Eagles, the proofs would have tremendous ROI. Here is a good resource on mintages...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertad_(coin)

Draft saved Draft deleted