Methods to capture bullion and collectible PM's

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by RhinoEmpire, Jan 6, 2014.

?

Do you use software to track your bullion?

1. No, I throw it in a safe, drawer, or paint can and forget about it.

14.3%
  2. No, but I would like to.

14.3%
  3. Yes, I use a spreadsheet such as Excel.

64.3%
  4. Yes, I use an out-of-the-box software solution.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other.

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

Hello all: I’m moving my safe deposit box to another bank and feel the need to organize and log my stack for the New Year. Can someone recommend any software to track purchases either for Windows or iOS? I’ve investigated several, but haven’t found what I’m looking for.

What does the CoinTalk community use to track purchases? What do you like about the software?

While you are at it, answer this quick poll.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Cannot think why Excel would not be quick and easy to use for such a task.

Nice "gallic captive", or Vercingetorix, denarius btw. :)

4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I use Excel for my collection since I haven't found any decent coin collecting software that runs on a Mac. (at least the last time I checked...)

stoster38 likes this.
  5. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

If you are learned in spreadsheet generation, there are numerous products that will allow you to generate documents that are accommodating to your wants. I have numerous spreadsheets, dependent upon the commodity (e.g. Silver Bullion, Gold Bullion, Silver - pre-1965, Gold - pre-1933, slabbed, raw, non PM coins, U.S., Foreign, etc.). The cell values can be linked between spreadsheets, and a date with current values can easily update melt/numismatic values for a collection.

Personally, in my decades of collecting, I've never found a diverse program to meet "normal" collector needs over an extended collecting period. Generally spreadsheets can be incorporated into more advanced documents/tools, when written in common codes/languages.

JMHO, Rich

6. vlaha

vlaha Respect. The. Hat.

No, I only have a small amount, so I use my head.

7. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I make a list of my coins in the safe deposit box and keep that at home. I guess there are more sophisticated ways to do it, but I put down the total ounces, not the value of each coin. That way I can get a rough idea of the value by multiplying by the total amount.

8. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I kind of wish I had an idea of what is in my SDB, but otoh its kind of fun to rummage around and find coins you have no clue you owned. There is a good side and bad side to everything. I do have a decent idea of how many boxes of coins are in there, just no clue as to their contents.

9. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

Thank's exactly how I go about it.

10. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

Im a throw it in the safe and forget about it. I dont even keep track of what I paid for things. Im a lazy collector

11. Gimme_More_Coins

Gimme_More_Coins Active Member

My spreadsheet includes the date that I purchased, who I purchased from, price I paid, spot price when purchased, shipping cost, total price for purchase, monthly totals and grand totals.

12. RhinoEmpire

RhinoEmpire Hi-Yo (Ag)

Hi Gang, I created a tool using MS Excel to track gold/silver bullion and your purchases. CoinTalk does not allow Excel files to be uploaded to their site, so it's being hosted on megafileuplad.com. To use the tool, enter the quantities of the coins or bullion you have and the spreadsheet will keep track of the value of your portfolio. If you enable the autoupdate feature and have an internet connection, then your spreadsheets will update with live prices for Silver and Gold from Kitco. You can easily modify the spreadsheet to suit your own needs. If I get feedback I may send an update in the future.

Here is the link to download
    http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/492250/MyPrecious-CoinTalk---Copy-xls.html

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Gimme_More_Coins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted