Metal Detecting - 4 US Silver Coins with the Vanquish 440

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by paddyman98, Jan 10, 2021.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello everyone,

New Youtube video -

Results for my third Metal Detecting Hunt for Saturday 1-9-2021
    20210109_213618(1).jpg
    Capture+_2021-01-09-13-28-02.png

Misc Metal, Relics -
    20210109_213540(1).jpg

Wheat Cents -
    20210109_213504(1).jpg 20210109_213504(1).jpg

Quarters, Nickels, Dimes & Pennies
    20210109_213532(1).jpg 20210109_213527(1).jpg 20210109_213510(1).jpg

Some new members have asked me questions about my Metal Detector that I use.
    It is the AV Minleab Vanquish 440 -
    @Jeff Callahan
    VANQUISH-440-Angle-Front.png

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Man, silver quarters were few and far between for me. Always fun to find. You're consistently raking in all that silver, and will before long surpass my sum total dug silver from my entire detecting career. But you're in a good place to do that.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What is your total?
    I found 96 Silver coins in 2020. And I have 13 for this year. Maybe about 20 Silver before 2020..

Thanks! ;)

kountryken and Jeff Callahan like this.
  5. Jeff Callahan

Jeff Callahan Active Member

I can't wait to get out there and start finding some great stuff! It seems to me that metal detecting is where it's at. I have been looking at the Vanquish 440. Since I have never used a metal detector, I am still a little intimidated about all of the options and settings. Idk what any of it means, but just like any other new toy you get, there will always be a learning curve that comes along with it and I trust you guys will lead me in the right direction. I like the 540 too. The Bluetooth, backlit display and other extra features will be nice if I can afford it when I decide to make the purchase.

lordmarcovan and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

Looks like you found an old cast lead paratrooper soldier. We made those toy lead soldiers as kids. Nice haul.

Jeff Callahan and paddyman98 like this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Nice Finds as usual :) ! Now Jeff's going to get one . That's good . More Coins for his collection. ;)

Jeff Callahan and lordmarcovan like this.
  8. lordmarcovan

Y'know, I've forgotten, and all the old albums are put away in storage. I need to dig them out. (Get it? Dig? LOL)

If memory serves me correctly, I was getting pretty close to a cumulative total of around 300 silvers found between 1992 and 2013. The last silver coin I dug was that medieval Edward I penny in England in 2013.

I began my counts in 1992 but that does not include coins found with my old TR detector in the 1980s when I was a teenager. I found two or three silvers back then but the finds were lost again in my college days. So my counts begin from the time I got my first modern VLF detector in '92.

(The very first silver coin I found, as previously mentioned, was a dateless Standing Liberty quarter, dug around 1982 or so. The first since I began recordkeeping was a nice AU+, lustrous 1956 quarter in '92.)

9. SensibleSal66

Sure @lordmarcovan , rub it in, LOL . Medieval coin ! The oldest I found was a 1733 KG 2nd .

Cliff Reuter and Jeff Callahan like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

I found a 1738 George II halfpenny down here (and a 1730 KG2 farthing in England). Those King George coppers are fun!

Believe it or not, that ca. 1300-1310 medieval penny I dug in England is not the oldest coin I ever found, though it is my oldest silver coin found.

Nor was the oldest coin I found (a Roman) found in the UK. It was found right here in Georgia, of all places!

But that was an "eyeball" find. I didn't even have my detector with me that day, though I was out scouting detecting locations and was on a colonial site.

My oldest coin found in the US with a detector is from 1658, at an old lost Spanish mission site that was burned by pirates in 1684.

11. SensibleSal66

Wow your getting Jeff here, jealous . :hilarious:

Jeff Callahan likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

Of course now I'm just a washed-up, "has-been" detectorist. I still have a few old machines out in the shed but have not "put the coil to the coil" since 2014 or so (found a few Wheat cents and a 100-year-old padlock- but no silver- on my only notable post-England outing back home).

Bad knees and respiratory issues and general obesity and out-of-shape-ness would make it difficult (though not impossible) for me to dig again. These days my hunts in the outdoors are more for fossil shark teeth. That's fun because it doesn't require any electronic equipment.

So keep at it, @paddyman98 - I predict, at the rate you're going, you're gonna top my silver coin totals within a year or so.

Jeff Callahan likes this.
  13. Jeff Callahan

You know... reading about all of you guys and your finds makes me jealous. I mean... I hope I still have some time left in this life to find some awesome finds like you guys talk about, and I have enjoyed learning about this great hobby, but, I really do wish I had gotten started when I was younger.

Do any of you guys ever meet up with each other? Like at coin shows or metal detecting hunts, that sort of thing? I don't want to seem too enamored, but I am really getting appetent over all of the various ways you can branch out into Numismatics. I am learning more and more how multi-faceted it is. Belt buckles, cast lead paratrooper soldiers, coins, paper bills, cowhides! I hope I don't seem too schmaltzy, but I think I am falling in love with this stuff! I didn't realize how nostalgic I am. Lol. It kind of makes my past seem so vacuous. Does that make sense? :shame:

@SensibleSal66, @lordmarcovan, @paddyman98, @Numiser

14. Zonker

Zonker Active Member

Jeff - what area of the country are you located?

The 440 is a good detector - I'm considering picking up a 540 pro. I like the wireless headphones.

15. Jeff Callahan

Hey Zonker. I am in Kentucky. I was just telling a friend about wanting the 540 because of the extras you get beyond what the 440 offers. It is just a matter of if I need to spend the extra money in a new hobby, but I am getting pretty excited about getting out there, and, as @lordmarcovan would say it, "putting the coil to the coil".

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  16. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

I think most of my stuff is antique now even my metal detector.
    Bought mine some #0 years ago.
    It still works!
    ace200.jpg

17. SensibleSal66

I like the idea of wireless head phones a lot . What about interference with High tension wires and others ??

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  18. lordmarcovan

I have never met any of these CoinTalk folks in person. I used to go to the big FUN coin show in Florida some Januaries, more than a decade ago, but since then, all of my numismatic friends are "virtual" ones, with the exception of two dealer friends in Asheville, NC, where I used to live, whom I visit with once a year or so (or did, pre-COVID).

The vast majority of my numismatic friends are "virtual" ones, online. I did have two or three local relic hunting/detecting/fossil hunting buddies back in the day, but have mostly lost touch with them.

19. SensibleSal66

That Garrett is a dinosaur ,but I bet it still kicks butt , LOL

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

The one working detector I still have out in the shed (or it did still work when put into mothballs, anyway), was an older Garrett GTA-350 of millennial vintage, which I picked up used but in mint condition in the final year of my detecting. Though it is 20+ years old, I doubt it has more than 20 hours of use on it still.

(Yikes- I sure hope I didn't leave the batteries in it...)

The Ace series are good starter detectors.

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  21. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Just another walk in the park, eh, Kazanski? (paraphrased quote). Name the movie?
    Once again you find the goods and share the results with those of us unable to prospect. I'll be sure to tune-in again next week. It's just like the Saturday Morning Serial at the movie theater without having to pay 25 cents. :)

Cliff Reuter and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted