Digger's Diary: The Arcadius Anomaly (repost from one of my old Treasurenet threads)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Nov 30, 2016.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This article was originally written for a general audience rather than a specialized numismatic one. ~RWS/"LM"

DIGGER'S DIARY: THE ARCADIUS ANOMALY

[​IMG]

Did the ancient Romans ever make it to North America? That’s doubtful. However, some of their coins did, over the last two millennia. This is a 1,600 year old bronze coin of the eastern Roman emperor Arcadius, dating to the turn of the Fourth century AD, probably around the year 395.

And believe it or not, I found it right here in coastal Georgia! Technically this one wasn't found in the Golden Isles proper, but just a bit north of here, on a colonial site in Liberty County.

The crazy thing is, I didn't even have my metal detector with me that day, and found it almost by accident. The coin was lying right on the surface, where it had been washed out of a sand roadbed by recent rains. It did take a sharp eye to spot it against the grey sand, but
    I always keep a sharp eye on any bare earth in historic places.

I thought it was a modern Lincoln cent at first, because I didn’t have my glasses on. But when I picked it up, I immediately knew it was too thick and too heavy to be a modern cent. In fact, since I’m a part-time world coin dealer and an avid collector of Roman coins, I knew right away what it was, though I was completely dumbfounded as to how it got there.

Though it lay on top of the ground, I do not believe it was recently lost by a collector. Not a modern collector, anyway. I think it was in the ground for at least 150 to 200 years, judging from the context of the site where I found it. Other artifacts were in that washout. I had picked up a gunflint from a flintlock musket and some old pieces of plantation-era pottery moments before.

I have two pet theories. Either it was lost by an early collector (a famous 19th century antiquarian happened to have lived nearby), or it came over a bit before that- maybe on a ship from England during the colonial era, where such coins are commonly found. In the early days of the American colonies, small change was scarce, so people spent just about any kind of coin they could get their hands on. This might have circulated as a farthing (a quarter of a penny) in the 1700s, and nobody would have given it much thought at the time.

Sixteen centuries have taken their toll on this piece, but it still has some clear details. The obverse (or “heads” side) bears a portrait of the emperor. The reverse shows him standing with a globe in his left hand and something else, perhaps a military standard, on his right. The inscription GLORIA ROMANORVM (“Glory of the Romans”) is quite readable on the reverse.

So I’ll bet you think this coin is worth an emperor’s ransom, eh? Think again. Monetarily, it’s worth maybe ten bucks, tops. On a good day. I've bought better Roman bronzes for five bucks. Though certifiably ancient, these are very common coins … in Europe and the Middle East, where vast hoards are found.

But here in Georgia, in an American archaeological context? Not so much. Here, it is a truly amazing (and anomalous) find. Was I disappointed that it’s not worth a fortune? Nope. I was thrilled and fascinated ... and a bit baffled, too. If only it could talk!

GinoLR, LukeGob, ominus1 and 45 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

BTW, experts, if you can confirm and/or correct my Arcadius attribution and the approximate dating on this piece, please do. It was something of a "semi-educated guess".

It's AE2 sized, BTW.

4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

What a find, I bet that makes that coin so special to you, and thanks for the great write up.

7Calbrey and Makanudo like this.
  5. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Neat story and write-up. I love hearing about this sort of thing. You're right of course - the Romans didn't make it to America but a few of their coins later did.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Maybe 1,600 years ago it was swallowed by a fish. Then the fish swam across the Atlantic and when it reached the coast of Georgia.. It spit it out!

Nice story. I also find old items metal detecting and I think the same thing... If only the item I found could talk!

Kasia and asheland like this.
  7. lordmarcovan

Crazy that my oldest coin find was here in GA, not England, and that it was an "eyeball" find made while doing a cursory site walk. As mentioned, I didn't even have the detector along that day. But on these old colonial sites, I've long learned to keep an eagle eye on the dirt, especially where it's been turned over or washed out, as in this case.

A buddy of mine "eyeballed" an 1830s Bust half dime on one site. Twice I've found Buffalo nickels that way.

+VGO.DVCKS, asheland, NLL and 2 others like this.
  8. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

That's incredible! I could see it maybe coming over with the help of some colonial, who got it before leaving Britain to come to the new world. Kept it in his pocket as a good luck charm or something and one day it fell out. Countless stories could be told by that coin, if it could talk.

7Calbrey and asheland like this.
  9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Often ships used mud for ballast. A ship from Europe trading with the US might load up the hull with mud to keep it floating at the correct height after all the trade goods were loaded on. Later, when the ship arrived at port in the U.S., say, at Atlanta, the workers would off load the goods and load the ship up with new goods to bring back home. If the weight of the new goods was greater than that of the original load, they'd just scoop out enough mud to bring the ship up to the correct height in the water.

One hundred or so years later, come along and scoop up a lot of that same discarded material to use as a road bed, and voila, there's your coin!

BTW, I'm pretty sure that I can make out "C_D" on the left side of the obverse inscription, which pretty much confirms that it's Arcadius.

Curtis, DonnaML, 7Calbrey and 7 others like this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I agree with the Arcadius reading. A few years ago there was a discussion about an Allectus found along the St. Lawrence. The best explanation was that it made the trip here as ballast from England. Trade at that time was largely one way with furs replacing the dredgings from the harbors in England. It is always amazing when we find such a coin but I have to imaging there are thousands of them that made the trip and are rotting away unfound.

11. gsimonel

Wow! You mean there's finally a reason to go out hunting with a metal detector, just like all those lucky detectorists in England?

Surprisingly, there is a museum in Indiana, somewhere near Louisville, with a small display about several hundred antoniniani found near the Ohio River. I wish I could remember where this is. It might be the Interpretive Center at the Falls of the Ohio State Park.

Curtis likes this.
  12. gsimonel

I was able to track down some more information about the antoniniani hoard discovery:

http://www.econ.ohio-state.edu/jhm/arch/coins/fallsoh.htm

Here a photo of the display:
    [​IMG]

Here's another write-up about this hoard:
    http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2009/05/roman-coins-3rd-4th-century-ad-found-in.html

The above write-up contains this jaw-dropping sentence:
    "the exhibit has recently been removed from public display, because the Museum belongs to the state of Indiana, and the exhibit conflicted with the state's archaeological policy that there is no documented evidence of pre-Columbian contacts."

This mentality, by the way, is one of the reasons that I don't regret leaving Indiana, a state with a legislature that at one time seriously debated passing a law mandating that the value of pi was 3:

http://simoslife.blogspot.com/2015/12/fixing-pi-to-spite-purdue.html?q=purdue

Curtis, asheland, TIF and 3 others like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

I too subscribe to the ballast theory, regarding the Arcadius coin I found.

A friend of mine found a 1797 Cartwheel penny in a ballast pile near here.

I look forward to reading about the hoard posted above, but am too exhausted right now. Only have about 3.14 brain cells functioning right now after having worked all night. (That would be 3 if I lived in Indiana.)

asheland and Theodosius like this.
  14. gsimonel

With 3 functioning brain cells, you'd still be in the top 15%.

TypeCoin971793 and asheland like this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Did you notice that the label on the upper left of the photo describes the larger coin as belonging to Maximinus I, 235 AD, but the linked texts corrected that to Maximinus II. I left Indiana in 1968 when I was graduated from Wabash College. In 1897, as now, Indiana has a wide range of intellects. Whatever the state, intellectual ability is not a prerequisite for office. More:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns...egislature-once-pass-a-law-saying-pi-equals-3

More troubling to me was a very few years ago in Virginia, my elementary school age grandson and several of his classmates were marked wrong on a state test because they failed to follow the instructions to take pi as 3.14. The ones that entered 3.14 into their calculators got the right answer according to the test makers but those who pushed the pi button on the calculator (giving a number of additional digits) missed that question. Machines could not grade answers that varied by a difference in the programming of calculators but making everyone use the same 3.14 would allow everyone to get the same answer.

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I don't blame the museum at all for pulling it because there is no way to prove the story. Just because someone shows up with a couple coins and a story about something that happened years ago, should not just be believed. The one article said it was being presented as a myth and I think that's ok.

Now @lordmarcovan 's story I'm going to accept as a factual find but if I was a museum and someone walked in telling me of the singular coin they discovered and offered it as a donation, I would present it as such.

17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Neat find @lordmarcovan !

Another explanation, a bit less of a fairy tale, might be that roman coins have been in circulation for centuries.
    I remember my grand father (born AD 1894 in Corsica) telling me that as a kid they would use the occasionnal roman middle bronze as a 10 centimes coin (back then 5 centimes was 5 grams of copper or bronze, 10 centimes was 10 grams of the same, and that was in the bigger part of Europe). Some of them can have been dropped on the floor by migrants ariving to the New World

Q

18. gsimonel

Which story are you talking about? The museum display says that the coins were found in 1963. It goes on to propose two possible explanations for their deposition at that location, but doesn't make any claims of pre-Columbian contact. What could be so offensive about this display that they can't even show the coins or let people know that Roman coins were found while digging a bridge? It's not like they're claiming that the Earth is more than 4,000 years old . . .

Nicholas Molinari and Theodosius like this.
  19. lordmarcovan

I finally got around to submitting the copy in the OP to our local newspaper, The Brunswick News.

The reporter botched some of the details about the coin itself and made the article more about me than the find, but hey, she did the best she could as a non-numismatist, and it got enough interest to be on Page 1 below the fold, so that's cool.

At a company Christmas party yesterday, the CEO of the company my wife and I work for came up to me and obviously knew who I was, since he said he'd read about me in the paper. I mentioned that they'd misquoted a few things and he laughed and said, "Welcome to MY world!". So that was neat.

Brunswick Resident Unearths Roman Coin In Georgia
    By Lindsey Adkison, The Brunswick News, Saturday, December 10, 2016.​

OK, so she flubbed the math (though I might've been the one who inadvertently said "1700 years old" instead of "1600" during our phone conversation), they omitted the photo, she had me determining "that it was a 1/4 penny" (sic), though I merely said it might have circulated as a substitute for a farthing in colonial times- not that it is a farthing (that distinction will be lost on 95% of the general public, including our reporter), and worse, said I "started digging", which I most certainly did NOT, next to a colonial cemetery! (This was a surface find that had been washed out by the rain.) Also, all mention of the emperor Arcadius was lost, making this article pretty nonsensical, in the numismatic sense.

But she tried. Give her a C or a C+ for getting most of the facts straight. You can compare the article to my copy above to see what got garbled.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  20. lordmarcovan

BTW, since the cat's out of the bag now, I can share a picture of the site. If you were to draw a hypothetical "X" about an inch or two below the bottom right corner of the photograph below, the coin was found about there, in a washout from the sand road outside the southern gates of the old walled cemetery.

Buried within the cemetery are some Revolutionary War heroes, one of whom was (I believe) Teddy Roosevelt's ancestor. Across the road is the old Midway Congregational Church. The present building dates from the 1790s, as the British burned the previous one during the Revolution. During the Civil War, Federal troops quartered livestock and horses inside the cemetery enclosure. There is also a quaint old ghost story about how one of the slaves building the brick wall in the early 1800s killed his coworker with a brick and buried the body beneath the wall. A large crack formed in the wall there, visible from the church side. (Almost certainly utter hogwash, of course, but a fun story nonetheless.)

From the artifacts found next to the coin in the washout (NOT by digging!), I deduce that the coin was dropped there in the colonial period or the early antebellum period, as determined by the gunflint and pottery I found with it.

[​IMG]
    Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons (public domain)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  21. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted