Mercury Gold Dime - Who Got Full Split Bands?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by statequarterguy, Apr 25, 2016.

1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Figured we need another thread on this. If full split bands exist and are rare, they may be big winners. If you got'em, post'em here.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I am not a mercury collector... can you explain exactly what to look for? I have seen a few of the golds posted now, and there are some bands visible, but I have no clue if they are full. I was planning on selling most of my coins unopened, but might have to open a few up and take a look now.

4. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

5. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

The few pictures I've seen on actual coins thus far via Ebay haven't really had split bands. Some appeared to have some definition though so maybe some early die state coins will get lucky. Although since gold is pretty soft if it was in the design probably would be better defined bands on all the coins. Guess it's going be a wait and see while hoping to get lucky if so.

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

It would be par for our mint to leave out a part of the design . In 24Kt. gold every coin should have FSBs . If they're left off then it shows what the mint thinks of the collectors that buy these .

Silverino and Paul M. like this.
  7. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

FSB? It ain't gonna happen.

8. Key70

Key70 New Member

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I'd like to see some pics of these after people received them.

10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Frankly, if you can't get full split bands on 24 carat gold then it ain't in the design or on the die..........

saltysam-1, Paul M. and Kentucky like this.
  11. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

12. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

13. rzage

They were in Adolph P. Weinman's original design , so our great Mint just didn't feel like putting them in . There's no excuse for leaving them out , they just don't care . I also don't buy the rumor that the mint couldn't put them in . What , did the mint's technology digress . I'm fairly sure Mr. Carr put them in his ounce coins so it can be done .

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The bottom bindings seem to have bands and perhaps the top, but the center looks solid. It is a copy of the design. You don't expect a movie to be exactly the same as the book.

jwitten likes this.
  15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Ahh, make them yourselves with a razor blade, it is just "bullion". Oh ! they won't label it FSB :( But maybe still a 69.8 . Sorry.:D

16. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

#makecoindesignsgreatagain

rzage and Cascade like this.
  17. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Does it seem that her bust does not come as close to the rim as it had on the silver version?

18. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Is this FSB? 1942sREV-1.JPG

Paul M. and rzage like this.
  19. rzage

I'd say close but no cigar . It doesn't look split all the way through the middle band .

Paul M. likes this.
  20. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's the only one I have that's even close.

21. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Active Member

The gold mercury dime is lke 1mm smaller then the actual silver dime.

Draft saved Draft deleted