Featured Medieval - William II of Norman Sicily

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

That is outstanding! :woot: I am going to pass this information to Kiss Jozsef Geza as he would be interested in this. The following paper by Kiss and Toth would be helpful as it goes through some of the sigla marks and variations on these coins. It is in Hungarian unfortunately, but Google Translate helped immensely:

Classification of the Cufic-like Copper Coins of Béla III

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

interesting, thanks for that info!

4. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

To add more 12th century coins to the thread, here is one I purchased way back in 2000 when I was first getting into numismatics, and wasn't yet sure of my interests (but I still love the 12th century, so it works).

Bohemond III.jpg

Crusader Principality of Antioch
    Bohemond III, r. 1149-1201
    Billon Denier, Class B
    14mm x 1 gram
    Obv.: +BOANVNDVS, bare head right
    Rev.: +ANTIOCHIA, cross in circle;
    Note: Sellar suggests this was during Bohemond's minority (1149-1163 A.D.)

Alegandron, chrsmat71, Eng and 4 others like this.
  5. Quant.Geek

In terms of medieval coins, I mainly concentrate on Eastern Europe and somewhat everything east of that, so I can relate to the Crusader coins. I don't have many, but here are a few that spans multiple campaigns (and hence not isolated to the Levant):

Crusaders: Bohémond III (1163-1201) AR Denier, Antioch (Metcalf, Crusades-378)

Obv:+ BOAИVHDVS, helmeted and mailed head left; crescent before, star behind
    Rev:+ AИTI:OCHIA, cross pattée; crescent in second quarter

[​IMG]

Kingdom of Thessalonica: Theodoros Comnenus-Ducas (1224-1230) AE Trachy, Thessalonica (Sear-2168, Sommer-73.6)

Obv: Facing bust of Christ Emmanuel with scroll
    Rev: Emperor with labarum and globe cruciger; manus dei above; Legend around - ΘΕΟΔWPOC ΔECΠOTHC KOMNHNOC O ΔOVKA/C

[​IMG]

Latin Empire of Constantinople: Anonymous (ca. 1204-1261) BI Trachy (Sear-2036)

Attributed to Baldwin de Courtenai by Malloy in Coins of the Crusader States

Obv: IC XC barred in field, Bust of Christ, beardless and nimbate, wearing tunic and colobion, hold gospel in l. hand.
    Rev: Full length figure of Archangel Michael nimbate, wearing short miltary tunic, breastplate, and sagion, holds in r. hand jewelled scepter and in L. Globus cruciger

[​IMG]

Empire of Nicaea: John III Ducas-Vatazes (1222-1254) BI Trachy, Thessalonica (Sear-2131; DOC 11)

Obv: Facing half-length bust of St. George, holding spear and shield
    Rev: Facing half-length busts of John and St. Demetrius, holding between them staff surmounted by cross in circle

[​IMG]

6. Quant.Geek

Here are a few coins that we don't run into much. Seems there really isn't much of a "mainstream" interest in these :(

Can anyone guess what the first two coins are modeled after?

Bulgaria: Georgi Terter II (1322-1323) AR Grosh (Raduchev & Zhekov 1.10.1)

Obv: Christ enthroned facing, IC XC across field
    Rev: Georgi and St. Mark standing facing, holding banner between them

[​IMG]

Bulgaria: Mihail Assen III Šišman (1323-1330) AR Grosh (Raduchev & Zhekov Type 1.11.3)

Obv: Christ enthroned facing, IC XC across field
    Rev: MICHAEL ASENX (S retrograde), Mihail and St. Mark (?) standing facing, holding banner between them; I/P to left of banner

[​IMG]

Bulgaria: Ivan Aleksandar (1331–1371) Æ Trachy (Youroukova & Penchev-105var)

Obv: Cross set on acanthus base; IC XC in upper quarters; triple pellets above each of the leaves
    Rev: Imperial double-headed eagle facing, with wings displayed

[​IMG]

Bosnia: Štefan II Tomaševič (1461-1463) AR Dinar (Jovanovic-62.2)

Obv: crowned and veiled helmet left set on royal coat-of-arms; R and five-rayed star set in six-rayed star on either side of helmet; Legend around - STEFAn •CRAGL
    Rev: St. Gregorius standing facing, raising hand in benediction and holding crozier; Legend around - S GREGO RI • PAPE

[​IMG]

Serbia: Stefan Uroš V (1355-71) AR Dinar (Dobrinic-8.1.2; Dimitrijevic-39)

Obv: Stefan enthroned facing, holding cross-tipped sceptre and akakia; Legend on either side - VOIIb - YPb
    Rev: Helmet facing left with crest; Legend around - VROSIVSI MPERATOR

[​IMG]

7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I wouldn't bemoan that fact - more for you. Take a gander at my website to see where my most erudite interests lie...many of us have specialties that only a handful of collectors in the world can appreciate.

Nabataean Numismatics

At any rate, I very much enjoy your coins, and can only apologize for not having the knowledge to say anything intelligent about them.

8. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

My family is from Sicily and we Sicilians are eternally grateful to the Normans for running the Arabs out of Sicily.
    There are some Sicilians with red hair and in Sicily they are joking called decedents of of the Normans.

seth77, KIWITI and Bing like this.
  9. newbeginning004

newbeginning004 New Member

10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

welcome "newbeginning004"

11. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT and this was a great post, packed with the history of a very historic region

12. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Thanks Seraf - I was a little surprised by its resurrection, but this is a time and place that quite interests me. More so in England than souther Italy, but the Italian branch of the Normans are a fascinating bunch in their own right

13. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Here's a bunch of Sicilian coins from the 12th and 13th century. The largest measures only 15 mm, the light brown follaro of William II (1166-1189). They were all cheap, the price of a few beers each, and the (tiny) gold ones the price of a single dinner in a restaurant with one Michelin star (with a good bottle of wine, naturally).

I really love Norman Sicilian coins because they are on the raw edge between Islam and Christianity. In the twelfth century many coins show Arabic writing and signs that were Christian, but a bit mitigated. For instance, the 9 mm coin with a T (tau) on both sides, a billon kharruba dating from about 1100 AD, is thought to be a coin that was acceptable to both Christians (tau = an ancient form of a cross) and the Arabs (a cross that was a bit low-profile), a people living in Sicily but just conquered by Robert Guiscard and his brother Roger I of Hauteville, end of the 11th century.
    Coins are meant for trade, and the trade was with muslims, too.
    See Philip Grierson: Medieval European Coinage: Volume 14, South Italy, Sicily, Sardinia (1998), p. 87-88.

Attached Files:

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Rather than showing things shown better above, I'll add the two 12th century coins i have that are different.
    Delhi Raja, Ananga, 1130-1145 AD AR jital
    ow7660bb2555.jpg

Zengid, Sayf al din Ghazi 1173 AD
    ow9300bb2512.jpg

15. Pellinore

That's a nice jital with elegantly snouted stylish bull and the rider in a stovepipe hat.

16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> I always try to copy whatever Mentor does, so here are a couple of my 12th century sweeties ...

Islamic, Anatolia & al-Jazira (Post-Seljuk),
    Zangids (al-Mawsil), Saif al-Din Ghazi II
    Æ Dirhem

AH 565-576 / AD 1170-1180
    Dated AH 567 (AD 1171/2)
    Diameter: 30 mm
    Weight: 13.21 grams
    Obverse: Draped young male bust facing slightly left, wearing hair in foreknot; above, winged figures flanking; AH date to right and left
    Reverse: Name and titles of Saif al-Din Ghazi II in five lines and in outer margins
    Reference: Whelan Type I, 174-5; S&S Type 60.3; Album 1861.1

Islamic Anatolia & al-Jazira.jpg

Cilician Armenia, Royal. Levon I.
    AR Tram (Coronation issue)

1198-1219 AD
    Diameter: 22 mm
    Weight: 2.75 grams
    Obverse: Levon seated facing on throne decorated with lions, holding cross and lis-tipped scepter
    Reverse: Two lions rampant back-to-back, each with head reverted; between, cross pattée set on spear
    Reference: AC 289

Armenia Cilician.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    Alegandron, FitzNigel and Bing like this.
  17. Pellinore

Back to that jital, there's a bit of red in the horse side of the coin. I suppose that's sindoor powder from the Diwali festival, at some time or another sprinkled on coins as part of a Hindu ritual. Don't wipe it off!

18. Quant.Geek

Since I have a somewhat of a bad habit of only posting coins that I have transcribed, I didn't post this coin earlier since I didn't finish the work. It takes A LOT time but it is worth the effort. So, going back to the original topic of this thread, here is another Norman Sicilian coin that hasn't been posted yet:

William II (1166-1189) AR 1/3 Apuliense, Palermo (Spahr-112; MEC 397-8; MIR 440)

Obv: Palm tree with dates between •W• Rx and two pellets
    Rev: +TERCI APVLIENSIS:I, in center, Arabic legend - الملك غليليم الثاني (al-malik Ghulyalim al-thani, with pellet on Gh as diacritic sign)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    seth77, Alegandron, FitzNigel and 3 others like this.
  19. Pellinore

An excellent coin, I still don't have it. Pretty.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Remind me of this post if I ever complain about not learning something on Coin Talk.
    ow7660bb2555sindoorsmall.jpg

zumbly and John Anthony like this.
  21. Quant.Geek

Been trapped indoors like the rest of the North Eastern CT members. That sindoor is quite common on gold coins. First time I am seeing this on a silver coin that has no deity in it. Interesting...

Pellinore likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted