Medieval Monday!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Sep 14, 2020.

1. iameatingjam

iameatingjam Well-Known Member

2060228_1626788912.jpg Cilician Armenia. Hetoum I. 1226-1270.

VD76, Marsyas Mike, TheRed and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

Hi again, @FitzNigel! Welp, it's still mid-afternoon out here, and I can be of some measure of help with sources for DeShazo's prototype. ...For openers, your skepticism makes easy, intuitive sense. If, as a collector, I weren't wired the same way, I might venture to call it admirable.
    But the same prototype appears in Roberts, The Silver Coins of Medieval France (Attic Books, 1996). ...Yes, in a not dissimilar vein, it's easy (and fun) to look down on Roberts as a reference, but his bibliography is pretty impressive. He attributes this, unambiguously, to Lothaire, with possible mints of Saint-Philibert, Tournus (neighboring mints in the Duchy of Burgundy), or Jumieges ("Carolingian Issues," #1836). For this, he cites Fougeres and Conbrouse, Description complete et raisonnee des monnaies de la deuxieme race royal [Carolingian vs. Merovingian] (Paris, 1837).
    Here's one place where it gets interesting. For his plate, DeShazo cites another work of the same century, Gariel, Les monnaies royales de France (Strasbourg, 1883). Two features immediately emerge. On one hand, the plates are unmistakably of the same issue, with effectively identical legends, and with the pellets in each angle of the obverse cross --evoking one of the distinctive features of 10th-11th c. Norman issues. And they're no less unmistakably variant examples, replete with nuanced, but mutually very plausible differences in the legends' punctuation.
    It's no wonder that, of the published options, DeShazo gravitated to Jumieges, a monastery in Normandy, and the namesake of an important chronicler. But there are several towns, both in Normandy and elsewhere in France, named St.-Philibert. ...Given that, very much to your point, the research is effectively ongoing in real time, where earlier medieval is concerned, I'm still voting (Yep, Only Once) for DeShazo's principal thesis.
    In other news, @lordmarcovan, Hearty Congrats on getting such a resonantly solid example, from somebody you've been needing representation of for a long minute! ...Something else fun about the issue is that, since ones of John Balliol are so scarce (suggesting a low initial mintage), and Robert the Bruce didn't issue coins until a ways into his reign, these would have been the primary coin in circulation all the way from Alexander's own reign, to the rising of Wallace, to the Battle of Bannockburn (...right, in 1314).
    ...While we're on books, here's one I hope you have: Trequair, Freedom's Sword: Scotland's Wars of Independence (Niwot, Colorado: Roberts Rinehart, 1998).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    VD76, talerman, Orielensis and 3 others like this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Verily, thou art infinitely more well-read than I. It was a decade or so before I realized how much of the Braveheart movie was nonsensical. ;):rolleyes:

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. +VGO.DVCKS

...Yeah, that movie involved a rehabilitation process for me, too. You're hardly the only one!!! ...My favorite bits are the crazy Irishman, who I still need sometimes for comic relief. ...I have to like how his 'dagger' would've gotten past a metal detector.

...The irony being that, of two known Anglo-Norman ancestors in my descent, one was killed at Bannockburn, and another was taken prisoner. ...Just That Little Bit of poetic justice. (...Yep, may the record show, there's some Scots too, very much under separate cover. ...On each side of the immediate family, with the patriarchs arriving here, respectively, in the mid-17th and earlier 18th centuries --both of them, wait for it, as criminal transportees.)

6. lordmarcovan

As you can likely tell from the look of my avatar, I am descended from the Clan Donnachaidh (Robertson). That's my first name, but it was my mother's maiden name.

So yeah, I've got Scots ancestors who were at Bannockburn, Culloden, etc. Don't know who they were, but they're definitely there in the woodpile, so to speak.

I'm tickled to finally have a coin that one of 'em might've spent.

PS, after watching the YouTube clip- gotta hand it to ol' Mel G., though. It was a pretty entertaining movie, anyway. I probably haven't watched it since before the millennium.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  7. +VGO.DVCKS

...Oh, ...just, Right, I would do something less than rational for known descent from someone who was at Culloden. I always wanted the ancestor who arrived in Maryland in 1719 to have been a Jacobite. Sadly, all anyone in the family has found so far are the court records, which don't mention that. Yeah, you'd kind of think they would have, even as an aside.
    [Edit:] Sorry for wallowing in the obvious, but it just landed on me that, if you were interested in pursuing the milieu of what the English call 'the Scottish Wars' (right, along the lines of, 'The French Disease'),* one option would be to look for one of Edward I's Berwick pennies. I can't find the pics of mine (bought too long ago), but if your standards for condition are suitably relaxed, you can probably still find one at a price that's considerably less than stratospheric, with enough detail to justify having gone to the trouble.

*...Or even, 'Pardon my French' --for words that are invariably of Old English /ancient Germanic origin. (I have to love how the oldest words in English run to being monosyllabic ...often enough of four letters.)

8. lordmarcovan

VD76, Marsyas Mike, TheRed and 6 others like this.
  9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

thank you for pushing me @+VGO.DVCKS! The two different references do indeed have two different designs. That encouraged me to actually check ACSearch, and I found an image of the coin from an iNumis sale: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2670481
    A00E5B24-437C-464D-82A5-31CF271AC74B.jpeg
    Although the inscription runs counterclockwise, which is not how it is depicted in each of the sources. Interesting. This does make me feel better about the Lothaire theory.

VD76, Marsyas Mike, TheRed and 7 others like this.
  10. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Poey d'Avant's work has the great advantage of being a general catalog of feudal coinages and this is why it is still used as a reference today. Regarding the interpretations of the coinages, Poey has almost none and where it does bring some comments they are rather lacunary and outdated. It is better than Boudeau -- which is normal considering that Boudeau just marks the available numismatic material from the auctions of the time.

An example is the coinage of Chartres, which goes from the grand denier of 1000 to the 12th century issues and then back to the grand deniers etc, in a rather random progression. The same with Chateaudun 11th century coinage, that's a complete Durcheinander by Poey's.

VD76 and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  11. +VGO.DVCKS

Well put, @seth77. ...Given all of that, it's kind of a letdown that Duplessy doesn't do more than he does in expanding on Boudeau. --He does plenty, but you do get the sense that Boudeau was almost as much a template as something to substantively improve.

12. +VGO.DVCKS

Many thanks for the link, @FitzNigel, along with your generous comments. Never occurred to me to do a ACSearch. iNnumis really seem to have picked up the mantle that .cgb dropped, where late Carolingian -early feudal are concened. (Cgb's archives are as fantastic as ever ...but how are the mighty fallen!)

FitzNigel likes this.
  13. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

My experience has been that if you are interested in a certain issue of a certain realm/polity, you search for articles or (less available usually) books that treat *just that* realm/polity by academics (usually local) who are actively involved in the study of that niche. And this ties to the reason we don't see much of French feudal numismatists and collectors in the English-speaking world -- they need to read Bompaire, C. Morrisson, Dumas, Musset, Duplessy, Lafaurie usw. And these people write in French.

What I do tell everyone who'd listen is that if you are interested in learning not just numismatics, but European history on a more in-depth level, especially if you want to pursue an academic career in history-related fields, learn as many European languages as possible, at least at the basic level of being able to read and comprehend a scientific article.

VD76, +VGO.DVCKS and FitzNigel like this.
  14. +VGO.DVCKS

...@seth77, please receive equal parts envy and admiration. ...I had to wait until an interim course (between semesters) as a first-year undergrad to get any Latin at all. --And it was, wait for it, Conversational Latin. As in, so you'd be able to order a hamburger at the McDonald's in Vatican City (--fictional, as I ardently hope). But I was very fortunate to get a program in grade school, over several years, which happened to emphasize Latin origins of English words. Served me very well when it comes to making such sense out of French as I'm able to ...and I try, by fits and starts, to improve my vocabulary and grammar, bit by bit.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    seth77 likes this.
  15. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

THIS IS IT! A full year of Medieval Mondays! While it has only just passed midnight Eastern time, I thought I would try to get this anniversary going sooner rather than later.

I decided to include my most recent purchase for today - I’m still working on my German coins, and the desire to get this latest one was a sudden inspiration once the school year started:
    Wurzberg.jpg
    Holy Roman Empire - Diocese of Würzburg
    Rudolf II von Scherenberg, r. 1466-1495
    AR Schilling, 26.04 mm x 2.24 grams
    Obv.: SANCTVS KILIANVS. St. Kilian holding sword and crosier
    Rev.: +RVD˙LF’✿EPIS’✿HERBIPOLE’. Shield
    Ref.: cf. de Witt 2327

I know little of Würzburg or Rudolf II, but the reason I bought this coin is because of the role Rudolf plays in the summer reading book I assign my AP Euro students. Peasant Fires: The Drummer of Niklashausen by Richard Wunderli works through the historians craft, while getting into the minds of the peasantry during an uprising led by a peasant named Hans Behem who claimed to receive a vision of the Virgin Mary. All AP courses require taking a training course before one can teach them, and this book was a recommendation to start off the year. I had actually owned the book for years because Dr. Wunderli was my professor in college - I had just never gotten around to reading his book! Anyway, Rudolf II was the bishop who ordered Behem’s execution, and it occurred to me that he was likely an authority who issued coins! Of course, I shared the coin with my students when it came in, and they are always appreciative of my hobby (or at least pretend to be…).

My thanks to all you lovely people who contributed in this bit of fun. While I might occasionally post here on mondays in the future, I think it’s time to focus on more meaningful and informational threads. Hopefully I’ll have time to do that! So as a nice bow to wrap this up, here is a group shot if all of my Medieval Monday coins:
    Medieval Monday.jpg
    That’s 64 coins! I doubled up at the beginning…. For extra credit obviously. Happy Monday everyone!

VD76, talerman, Marsyas Mike and 7 others like this.
  16. lordmarcovan

England: silver penny of King John, ca. 1213-1215, from the Gisors hoard found in Normandy
    [​IMG]
    Obverse: Crowned head of King John facing, scepter to left. Obverse legend reads "HENRICVS", as John's coinage was struck bearing the name of his father, Henry II.
    Reverse: Voided short cross; quatrefoils in angles.
    Issuer: John Lackland, King of England (1199-1216).
    Specifications: Silver penny, 17 mm, 1.22 g. London mint. Struck ca. 1213-1215. Moneyer: Walter on Lunde.
    Grade: PCGS XF45, cert. #35075112.
    Reference: PCGS-895746, North-975/1, SCBC-1354.*
    Provenance: Classical Numismatic Group eAuction 413, Lot 722, 1/31/2018.* Purchased raw.
    Notes: John's reign is most noted for the signing of the Magna Carta, which has had repercussions in modern government to this day. John is also known for having unsuccessfully attempted to usurp power from his brother Richard the Lionheart while the latter was away fighting in the Third Crusade. This coin was part of a large medieval hoard discovered in Gisors, (Eure) in Normandy in 1970. There is a very detailed booklet about the hoard from the British Numismatic Society in this PDF.
    Comments: John's reign is also (fictionally) associated with the Robin Hood legend. I first learned about King John when I was a child fan of the 1973 Disney Robin Hood movie with all animal characters. In that, John was a cowardly lion and Robin Hood was a fox.

17. lordmarcovan

Great poster!

And coins!

+VGO.DVCKS and FitzNigel like this.
  18. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

+VGO.DVCKS and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Italian coinage is probably one of the most interesting, diverse and complex areas of medieval numismatics, so it was always a side interest that I pursued whenever I got a chance, from the tornesi of Nicola II di Monforte to the petty denarii and mezzi of the Hohenstaufen and Angevin Sicily and the strong currencies of the city states.

This one here is a bolognino grosso, a civic issue from Bologna ca. 1250s. The bolognino, both grosso and piccolo, was copied around Italy and used with intensity from ca. mid 13th century to the 16th century. This specimen from Bologna was struck of a 820/1000 strong alloy at a poids theorique of 1.41g, of which, after intense circulation, 1.20g remains:

1692934_16131474971.jpg
    + E N R I C I I S; I P R T in a cross shape and 5 bezants flanking the letters, also forming a cross
    ・B O ・ N O ・ NI ; large A flanked by 4 bezants forming a cross
    BdNonline 4 pp. 20-1 #14-15; CNI X p. 2 #9; cf Chimienti 2009 p. 95 #13

Notes: The larger denomination of the bolognino grosso follows the smaller denomination bolognino piccolo (which started the mint in 1191) and was introduced in 1236. It was a denomination that followed a trend for larger silver-based coinages in northern Italy in the 13th century and marked the economic and political rise of the Italian city states.

The coinage was immobilized in the name of Enrico VI (Heinrich von Hohenstaufen, Holy Roman Emperor) who gave the city its minting rights in 1191 and continued until the first quarter of the 14th century. Quite specific to it is the spelling of ENRICVS as ENRICIIS. Stefan di Virgilio in BdNonline 4 dates this phase between 1236 and 1260, but it is possible that this particular piece with the usual punctuation and letter forms was minted extensively in the 1250s.

The high silver title made this coin a successful one, used and hoarded considerably throughout Italy and especially in the north. This specimen is well worn indicating many years in circulation.

VD76, talerman, TheRed and 5 others like this.
  20. lordmarcovan

Hey, it’s Monday again!

Here’s one that’s in my Top Five “seller’s remorse” list. :(

But I got it from my friend @Aethelred, and sold it back to him after proudly owning it a few years. It was, after all, his namesake coin.

England (Anglo-Saxon): silver penny of Aethelred II, struck ca. 997-1003 AD
    England-AR-penny-AethelredII-074500-frame-v2.png
    Obverse: bust of Aethered II facing left.
    Reverse: Long cross.

Canterbury Mint, issued 997-1003 AD. Spink-1151. PCGS MS63, cert #29851544. Formerly in an ICG AU55 holder, #5358340110. Ex-Michael Swoveland of WNC Coins, in a private North Carolina swap, 7/20/2013.

By the late 12th century, 150 years or so after his death, Aethelred II of England was referred to as "Aethelred The Unready" for his supposed weakness in response to the invasions of the Danish Vikings. Despite this long-dead king's poor historical reputation, I have always loved this coin.

Because it is a Mint State survivor, I have little doubt that this piece came from a buried hoard, though unfortunately that specific provenance did not follow it into the numismatic marketplace. Being possessed of a rather romantic historical imagination, I like to dream that it was found in a Viking-era ship burial. While that's within the realm of possibility, we'll never know for sure. Aethelred the Unready paid a lot of coined silver to the Vikings as Danegeld, and thousands of these coins ended up in tombs and other buried hoards in England and Scandinavia.

VD76, Curtisimo, talerman and 6 others like this.
  21. +VGO.DVCKS

Wow, @FitzNigel, Congratulations on having held up that whole side of this tent for this long. With cordial thanks to @seth77, @lordmarcovan, @TheRed, @panzerman, and everyone I'm forgetting for having held up the rest of it.

...Here's one I bought over the last week. This is from a French dealer who lists on ebay and Delcampe. (Rtnumis.) He sold me his copy of Dumas, Fecamp, at his cost. Yeah, I made him inscribe it. I guess we're friends.

Picardie (northeast France), Abbey of St.-Medard. Denier, c. late 10th century. ...Oddly, no examples of this are in Dumas' aforementioned, magisterial study of le Tresor de Fecamp. From the likes of ACSearch and CoinArchives, along with the archives of CGB.fr, no one is citing anyone besides Poey d'Avant and Boudeau. But it's kinda cool for being that underpublished. For French feudal as early as this, you almost want the added dimension of mystery.
    ST.-MEDARD, OBV..jpg
    s-l1600.jpg

VD76, Curtisimo, talerman and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted