...Maybe its not when, but how one starts the year...TRIUMPHAL!!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Jun 1, 2020.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

This is one of two coins i got over the weekend, my 1st of the year..it took me 2 days to get semi decent pics of just one..so...POOF! here's this one!..i've been wanting one o these triumphal quadrigas ever since i saw one here about 4 years ago...i may be fiddling for my dinner and burning lamp oil over the next few weeks, but i got one o dese now!...

POST YOUR COINS & COMMENTS PEEPS! :) Obverse 002.JPG reverse Dossenus 001.JPG L Rubrius Dossenus AR Denaius, 87 BC, Ob: Laureate Head Jupiter right, scepter behind. RV: Triumpal quadriga, Lighting bolt riding in with Victory atop holding wreath. 18 mm 3.41gms.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A nice coin. Mine is one of the first Roman Republics I ever acquired nearly a decade ago.

[​IMG]
    L. Rubrius Dossenus 87 B.C.
    O: DOSSEN Head of Jupiter right, scepter over shoulder, DOSSEN behind and below
    R: L ·RVBRI Triumphal quadriga right, thunderbolt on side-panel, small Victory on top holding wreath, L ·RVBRI in ex.
    Crawford 348/1 RSC Rubria 1 SRCV 258
    3.62g
    Ex. Harlan J. Berk.

4. svessien

svessien Senior Member

What do you mean, «dinner»??

Congratulations with the new old coin! I like it.

ominus1 likes this.
  5. ominus1

dinner.jpg :singing:

svessien likes this.
  6. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

Congrats @ominus1, a historic coin from the RR at the end of the Social war, the rise of Sulla, and the start of the First Mithridatic War. The chariot according to Crawford, empty in hopes of a triumph over Marius. This issue often has that look of hastily or carelessly struck.
    Dossenus denarius Blu.jpg
    L. Rubrius Dossenus, AR Denarius, Rome, 87 BC
    Obv: Laureate head of Jupiter right, with scepter over shoulder; behind, DOSSEN
    Rev: Triumphal quadriga right decorated with thunderbolt of Jupiter; (above, off flan on this coin, Victory flying right); in ex. L RVBRI
    Ref: Crawford 348/1; Rubria 1
    Note: related coins and more context on the time period in this post, this one.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  7. ominus1

...thanks.yeah..ain't the kool!...i remembered it was either or..was reading up on Marius and Sulla and the politcs surrounding that time..it was the start of the end of the republic...

Sulla80 likes this.
  8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed. Congrats.

ominus1 likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Very nice! Gorgeous denarius, and yeah, well worth the wait, and belt tightening! Lotta detail, and the horses look strong... that reverse is great! These were pounded out quickly, and did not have the best features, yours is a good strike.

Transition from Social War to War with Mithradates! Sulla starts raising more hell!

Mine is a liteweight!

[​IMG]
    RR Rubrius Dossenus 87 BCE AR Denarius Jupiter Triumphal Quadriga Sear 258 Craw 348-1

10. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Just picked this bad boy up today, needed a little background on the moneyer, nothing really fruitful online with the exception of this beautiful CT thread! I now have a bit of reading to do about the times of Sulla and Marius, I am aware of the period but my current knowledge is nothing to brag about.

3F3D4B91-DF20-43A8-8A93-00EEFE5A1414.jpeg

11. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

that looks like an enviously nice coin of this type, nicely toned. Here's my post on the related Dossenus quinarius with a bit on the time period and some references that might be interesting.

DonnaML and Egry like this.
  12. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Many thanks @Sulla80, I’ve already searched the forum and have found your thread! Looking forward to going through it in detail.

Sulla80 likes this.
  13. ominus1

....dats a nice one Ergy....i do believe i've seen that while shopping for one...congrats! :)

Egry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted